• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

PharmD to CT Surgery I6 Advice

Nutmegh

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2015
  1. Pharmacy Student
Hi all,

I'm a soon-to-be-free from residency critical care trained/CVICU focused pharmacist who's been considering going back for an MD and down a surgical route for a few years, and recently a few of my attendings have been encouraging me to give it a serious shot. The end goal for me would be an integrated 6 year CT surgery program followed by an ECMO fellowship, but it's the in between steps that I'd love some logistics advice on.

With a lower GPA (3.1 from PharmD), should I empirically do a post-bac, or would it be doable to try to score 515+ on the MCAT and see where I can get with my background? If so, which US MD programs might look the most favorably at my background?

I also need to take my critical care pharmacy boards in September, and was planning to start studying for the MCAT after with a Princeton review 510+ course in December, planning for a mid-April test date. Are there any other steps or timeline changes I should be making?

In terms of letters of rec, I was planning on a pharmacist mentor, a CT surgery attending mentor, and potentially a research collaborator from a well known institution - are there other people I should consider?

Thanks so much in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

penicillinman

7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2013
  1. Pharmacist
Another PharmD here who is matriculating this fall. Congrats on finishing your residency. With your GPA it may be difficult (but hopefully not impossible) for US MD schools, so you should consider DO as well. Whats your science GPA and undergrad cumulative GPA? I have been practicing as a clinical pharmacist for 10 years and it helped weave a good story of why PharmD to MD. It helped a lot during interviews and made a large portion of my conversations during my interviews with faculty. My sGPA was 4.0 and my cGPA was 3.92 with a 508 MCAT. I applied to schools in Texas, several MD and one DO. Got 3 interview invites and two acceptances of which one is an MD school. As far as the MCAT goes, I would highly recommend taking some time off from working if at all possible. My situation did not allow me to do so and therefore my score suffered. Let me know if you have any questions.

@hearteries ... saw your post on another thread.. are you a clinical pharm too ?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Abbey25

2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2018
Good to see some other pharmacists here. I also have worked as clinical pharmacist in PICU for almost 7 years, I am applying to med schools this cycle. sGPA and cGPA 4.0 PharmD GPA 3.24. MCAT in 3 weeks.

@penicillinman Congratulations!! What's your story "why pharmD to MD"? I'd like hear about it. Do you mind sharing what you wrote on personal statement? My main story is about (obviously) autonomy and desire for having more responsiblities and building meaningful relationship with patients. How did being a pharmacist help you with the interview? Did they ask a lot of clinical stuff because you are a pharmacist?

Very curious. thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrStephennmnm

Oct 17, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all,

I'm a soon-to-be-free from residency critical care trained/CVICU focused pharmacist who's been considering going back for an MD and down a surgical route for a few years, and recently a few of my attendings have been encouraging me to give it a serious shot. The end goal for me would be an integrated 6 year CT surgery program followed by an ECMO fellowship, but it's the in between steps that I'd love some logistics advice on.

With a lower GPA (3.1 from PharmD), should I empirically do a post-bac, or would it be doable to try to score 515+ on the MCAT and see where I can get with my background? If so, which US MD programs might look the most favorably at my background?

I also need to take my critical care pharmacy boards in September, and was planning to start studying for the MCAT after with a Princeton review 510+ course in December, planning for a mid-April test date. Are there any other steps or timeline changes I should be making?

In terms of letters of rec, I was planning on a pharmacist mentor, a CT surgery attending mentor, and potentially a research collaborator from a well known institution - are there other people I should consider?

Thanks so much in advance!
Out of curiously how did you go from pharmD to CT surgery?

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.