Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m currently 21 in my 2nd in pharmacy school and I’m planning on attending medical school after. I’m in a early Assurance program so (2 years of undergrad and 4years of grad). Would med schools look at my 2 years of undergrad or would they look at my pharmacy gpa instead given my crunch years I am in?

Med schools will only look at undergrad GPA when screening any applicant on prerequisite requirements. Any other graduate or professional degree obtained would be categorized and computed in a different GPA bracket outside of your undergrad years.

The catch you are in is that even though you will be pushed through to pharmacy school after just two years of prerequisites, many pharmacy programs when putting out transcripts of each semester will still calculate your first couple of years of school as an "undergraduate student." You will need to contact your program to validate how this would look (some do it, others don't).

Due to this, it'd be strongly in your favor to get out of the assurance program and take direct pre-req courses that are required for many MD programs. You will avoid an unnecessary opportunity cost by pursuing readily what is possibly still in your path.

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools will only look at undergrad GPA when screening any applicant on prerequisite requirements. Any other graduate or professional degree obtained would be categorized and computed in a different GPA bracket outside of your undergrad years.

The catch you are in is that even though you will be pushed through to pharmacy school after just two years of prerequisites, many pharmacy programs when putting out transcripts of each semester will still calculate your first couple of years of school as an "undergraduate student." You will need to contact your program to validate how this would look (some do it, others don't).

Due to this, it'd be strongly in your favor to get out of the assurance program and take direct pre-req courses that are required for many MD programs. You will avoid an unnecessary opportunity cost by pursuing readily what is possibly still in your path.

I would disagree, there's specific rules in AMCAS for professions and with pharmacy, your entire GPA will be analyzed. The prerequisites are analyzed as a standalone as they are required, but you're not escaping having your pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, and pathopharmacology as anything but counting classes toward GPA even though they end in the graduate division. Medicinal chemistry ends up in the sGPA, pharmacology ends in the non-sGPA category, but still counts. Your stats classes and physiology for the "freshman" pharmacy year will count toward the sGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.