PhD degree and part-time job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggelosksk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I would like to discuss this thought with you. I recently graduated from the Vet school and I have just started my PhD in animal nutrition and production in a non-Vet school in UK. I am RCVS registered and I would like to know if it is a sensible choice to start a part-time job as a Vet surgeon in production animal practice. I love this sector and it is difficult for me to stay away from the field/farm work for three years. I am afraid that the time commitment might turn to be a major problem. Please share with me any personal experience, I would be grateful to you. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it. Your research will suffer, not to mention your mental health.

I can't imagine working a significant job on the side - my PhD is a 50-60 (at least) hour a week job as it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above. Is there any way to get involved as a relief veterinarian, rather than a true part time job? At least in that situation you wouldn't be committed to certain hours, but could still keep your feet wet if you feel like you have availability on certain weekends, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above replies and I believe getting a job will piss your advisor off, who basically owns your time, at least M-F 9-5. Theoretically anything you do during this time that's not research related, you need your advisor's permission. Try to get some clinical experience that's relevant to your research, or use it as a way to get yourself paid (if you are not already paid with teaching or research assistantship).

Hi, I am also from Brazil and am trying to prepare for the test. I also went to vet school in Parana, so i can relate to most of what you are saying. Would like to contact you somehow, it won’t let me leave my email address...

Is there any way to get involved as a relief veterinarian, rather than a true part time job? At least in that situation you wouldn't be committed to certain hours,
As a relief vet, you would still be committed to hours you've already agreed to, and I don't see much work for a relief vet who can't really make plans to work more than a few weeks in advance.

I agree it's bad for both (your veterinary job, and your PhD/research).