SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

PhD degree and part-time job

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by aggelosksk, Feb 13, 2018.

  1. aggelosksk


    Feb 13, 2018
    Hello everybody, I would like to discuss this thought with you. I recently graduated from the Vet school and I have just started my PhD in animal nutrition and production in a non-Vet school in UK. I am RCVS registered and I would like to know if it is a sensible choice to start a part-time job as a Vet surgeon in production animal practice. I love this sector and it is difficult for me to stay away from the field/farm work for three years. I am afraid that the time commitment might turn to be a major problem. Please share with me any personal experience, I would be grateful to you. Thank you
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WhtsThFrequency

    WhtsThFrequency Veterinarian 10+ Year Member

    Jan 18, 2006
    Don't do it. Your research will suffer, not to mention your mental health.

    I can't imagine working a significant job on the side - my PhD is a 50-60 (at least) hour a week job as it is.
    aggelosksk likes this.
  4. DickVetPlease

    DickVetPlease Mizzou 2014 7+ Year Member

    Apr 27, 2009
    Agree with the above. Is there any way to get involved as a relief veterinarian, rather than a true part time job? At least in that situation you wouldn't be committed to certain hours, but could still keep your feet wet if you feel like you have availability on certain weekends, etc.
    aggelosksk likes this.
  5. AllieLane

    AllieLane UI 2+ Year Member

    Aug 13, 2015
    I agree with the above replies and I believe getting a job will piss your advisor off, who basically owns your time, at least M-F 9-5. Theoretically anything you do during this time that's not research related, you need your advisor's permission. Try to get some clinical experience that's relevant to your research, or use it as a way to get yourself paid (if you are not already paid with teaching or research assistantship).

Share This Page