phd in clinical psychology without ma? with ma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i just finished a MA degree in cognitive psychology in the middle east. i want to do my phd in the field of clinical psychology. is there a possibility to do phd in clinical psychology without doing practice? can i continue in the academy and become a doctor? without having a clinical experience? will i need to do practice in order to be excepted to a well known university?

thank you so much

zoei

Members don't see this ad.

i just finished a MA degree in cognitive psychology in the middle east. i want to do my phd in the field of clinical psychology. is there a possibility to do phd in clinical psychology without doing practice? can i continue in the academy and become a doctor? without having a clinical experience? will i need to do practice in order to be excepted to a well known university?

thank you so much

zoei

It's my understanding that all clinical psych phd programs require you to do clinical training as part of your education. Hence, they are called "clinical" programs. However, many programs (including all of the ones I've applied to this cycle) are scientist-practitioner models that train people to be balanced scientists and practitioners. Most of these programs actually prefer people to be scientists, as it gives the training program a better name. But, for me, I'm in a similar boat as what it sounds you're in. I want the clinical training because I value that as part of my research and future work in academia.

Good clinical programs usually value research experience more than clinical is what I've heard from my mentor (who is the DCT at a fairly reputable school).

Hope this helps!

thank you so much

zoei
Are you asking whether you need clinical experience to be accepted to a good clinical psychology PhD program, if you need to get clinical training to earn a PhD, or if you need to practice and provide clinical services after you graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a possibility to do phd in clinical psychology without doing practice? can i continue in the academy and become a doctor? without having a clinical experience?

Clinical experience is an essential part of the training, so even if you never plan to see patients in your career, you still need to get the training. But if you are asking whether you need to practice after getting the PhD in order to hold an academic job, then the answer is not necessarily. For example, some of the faculty in my training program were not even licensed to practice. I think some practice experience is helpful, even for academics, but it's optional.

thank you so much

zoei
There are also non-clinical PhDs that you can get in psychology that would allow you to continue in a university setting and become a doctor. I take it you are interested in research so the key is figuring out which programs in the US would best match your research interests.

Are you asking whether you need clinical experience to be accepted to a good clinical psychology PhD program, if you need to get clinical training to earn a PhD, or if you need to practice and provide clinical services after you graduate?
hi

can i be accepted to a clinical psychology with no intention to treat people after phd? i dont see how i am being accepted when there are so many people that wants to open a clinic and phd.

i will be happy to do practice for phd but i want to do reaserch and be a prof. will i have a good chance to be accepted? i have 95 in both my degree (cognitive psychology and organisional behavior.) i am 38, i dont have any experience in clinical work. are there universities that better to try first?

thanks

There are also non-clinical PhDs that you can get in psychology that would allow you to continue in a university setting and become a doctor. I take it you are interested in research so the key is figuring out which programs in the US would best match your research interests.
hi

can i be accepted to a clinical psychology with no intention to treat people after phd? i dont see how i am being accepted when there are so many people that wants to open a clinic and phd.

i will be happy to do practice for phd but i want to do reaserch and be a prof. will i have a good chance to be accepted? i have 95 in both my degree (cognitive psychology and organisional behavior.) i am 38, i dont have any experience in clinical work. are there universities that better to try first?

thanks

Clinical experience is an essential part of the training, so even if you never plan to see patients in your career, you still need to get the training. But if you are asking whether you need to practice after getting the PhD in order to hold an academic job, then the answer is not necessarily. For example, some of the faculty in my training program were not even licensed to practice. I think some practice experience is helpful, even for academics, but it's optional.
hi

thanks

hi

thanks
If you don't want to do any clinical work, then it makes no sense to get a clinical PhD. There are other PhDs that you can get in psychology that are not clinical PhDs. Here is an example of one such program http://psb.soceco.uci.edu/pages/graduate-program There are many more like it in all different areas of psychology.

If you don't want to do any clinical work, then it makes no sense to get a clinical PhD.

Not necessarily. If you want to do clinical research (for instance, develop interventions or clinical assessments or understand risk factors for mental disorders) but have no intention of having a regular practice, a clinical PhD is still useful. If this is the route you want to go, you should choose a program that strongly emphasizes research. Good programs to consider can be found here: https://www.acadpsychclinicalscience.org/doctoral-programs.html

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily. If you want to do clinical research (for instance, develop interventions or clinical assessments or understand risk factors for mental disorders) but have no intention of having a regular practice, a clinical PhD is still useful. If this is the route you want to go, you should choose a program that strongly emphasizes research. Good programs to consider can be found here: https://www.acadpsychclinicalscience.org/doctoral-programs.html
True. I guess the main question is for the OP to determine what kind of research they are looking to be involved in. I was assuming it was not clinical, but...?

If you don't want to do any clinical work, then it makes no sense to get a clinical PhD. There are other PhDs that you can get in psychology that are not clinical PhDs. Here is an example of one such program http://psb.soceco.uci.edu/pages/graduate-program There are many more like it in all different areas of psychology.

hi

i looked at the programs, they will not be interested in clinical research and my interest is clinical research. i did not did 2 MA to do another one that is far from my interest. my concern was that will prefer to accept the people who want them both
thanks

thanks!
that was very helpful. i will look on it some more. do you happen to know if most of them want MA before? im not from the usa so i don't sure what are the rules for phd.

hi

i looked at the programs, they will not be interested in clinical research and my interest is clinical research. i did not did 2 MA to do another one that is far from my interest. my concern was that will prefer to accept the people who want them both
thanks
My mistake as I did not realize that you wanted to do clinical research specifically so a clinical PhD would make sense in that case just as MamaPhD was saying.

thanks!
that was very helpful. i will look on it some more. do you happen to know if most of them want MA before? im not from the usa so i don't sure what are the rules for phd.

No, most programs require evidence of good scholastic performance as an undergrad, research experience, and fit with the program's mission. A master's is not necessary beforehand, unless you need to enhance your academic record.

For what it's worth I primarily wanted to do research and teach when I applied to doctoral programs and I was open about this in interviews and was still accepted to 2 of 5 programs, so I don't necessarily think it will be held against you. However, after gaining more clinical experience I changed my mind and am now a full time practicing clinical psychologist :)

For what it's worth I primarily wanted to do research and teach when I applied to doctoral programs and I was open about this in interviews and was still accepted to 2 of 5 programs, so I don't necessarily think it will be held against you. However, after gaining more clinical experience I changed my mind and am now a full time practicing clinical psychologist :)

is it ok to ask where are these program? or just to ask, have you accepted to programs that use the researcher-practitioner model?

thanks