PhD In Psychology: Specialization In Expressive Art Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I
According to the website above…….(International Expressive Arts Therapy Association) I will need:

Category D:
1) Doctoral Degree in Expressive Arts Therapy or equivalency in a Creative Arts Therapy Program
Program must include a practicum of 1,000 hours of supervised clinical work and 100 hours of individual supervisory sessions, or 200 hours of group supervisory sessions or a combination of both.
2) Demonstration of arts practice and involvement

SDUIS does offer this track but of course it will cost me extra and I will have to do the 1,000 hours but I will at least be registered and be a therapist and help others in the end. This will be good enough for me. I will take it.
ink
I

Have you looked into the requirements for licensure in CA to be a master's level therapist and contacted the board of behavioral sciences? People who want to be art therapists in CA are going to need some sort of licensure. I live in CA and "art therapists" here tend to have the LMFT licensure.

To be licensed as a therapist in CA, you will need a master's degree from an accredited university and then you will need to accrue 3,000 hours of supervised experience post-degree. Since this program is not accredited at all, I'm not sure you will be able to practice as any kind of therapist in CA.

http://www.bbs.ca.gov/app-reg/mft_presentation.shtml

Here is information about becoming an art therapist and licensure: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-healing-arts/201102/so-you-want-be-art-therapist-part-three

According to the article: "There is a license specifically for art therapists, but it exists in very few states [New Mexico, Kentucky, Maryland and Mississippi]. The designation is LPAT or similar designation and it stands for "licensed professional art therapist;" it title-protects and regulates the scope of practice of art therapy in those states..... if you study in California, you may become eligible for a license as a marriage and family therapist and/or the LPC

I don't know if this program will lead you at all to the MFT or LPC licensure in CA. Otherwise, you will not be able to work with patients and conduct therapy in any legal way. You will have to contact the CA board of behavioral sciences. You cannot call yourself an "art therapist" in CA and just set up shop. The board will shut you down.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm good now. I know what I want, I considered everyone's advice, and like I said before...I will be happy and content to be a registered therapist and help others through the use of expressive arts.

I'm good, really I am. I made my choice and I really don't care what other people have to say about my "phony" degree when I am on the job. (Ummmm.. yeah doing 1200 hours sounds REALLY phony to me too). I am doing this for me. I will be proud of myself if I can finish this degree at SDUIS, and that will do be good for me. I will be a happy camper. I don't want to do clinical work. I loath research and statistics and all that stuff. Not for me.

Now you guys stop acting jealous because I am going to be having fun with creative expression and the arts, while you guys are stuck in some lab doing statistical analysis.....lol:laugh: (That was suppose to be a joke, to lighten things up in this thread full of tension).

Last edited:
I'm good now. I know what I want, I considered everyone's advice, and like I said before...I will be happy and content to be a registered therapist and help others through the use of expressive arts.

I'm good, really I am. I made my choice and I really don't care what other people have to say about my "phony" degree when I am on the job. (Ummmm.. yeah doing 1200 hours sounds REALLY phony to me too). I am doing this for me. I will be proud of myself if I can finish this degree at SDUIS, and that will do be good for me. I will be a happy camper. I don't want to do clinical work. I loath research and statistics and all that stuff. Not for me.

Now you guys stop acting jealous because I am going to be having fun with creative expression and the arts, while you guys are stuck in some lab doing statistical analysis.....lol:laugh: (That was suppose to be a joke, to lighten things up in this thread full of tension).

Sounds great, but if you are not employable or can't practice, don't come back here and say that you were misled because you are a first generation college student. I am one myself, and blaming others when the info is readily accessible (you didn't even check the licensure requirements for therapists in CA) just doesn't cut it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I I don't want to do clinical work.

You dont want to do clinical work?! What the hell do you think therapy is? And you said you wanted to be licensed? Licensed to do what? Sculpt stuff?

. I loath research and statistics and all that stuff. Not for me.

Uh, Is your dissertation gonna be done with fairy dust and farts then?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Uh, Is your dissertation gonna be done with fairy dust and farts then?:rolleyes:

I think she is under the impression that she will complete her PhD in 2014 if she applies now. Didn't you see her screen name.

I actually did mine start to finish in about 1.5 years. That's pretty fast.

I made my choice and I really don't care what other people have to say about my "phony" degree when I am on the job.

It should go without saying that at this level, you better damn well care what people think of your education and experiences., or else you ain't getting hired. Ya dig?

Lastly, I realize that that's probably what you actually think clinical psych ph.ds such as myself do/did in graduate school (sitting in a lab doing stats), but its not. The educational system does not prepare undergraduates for the realities of the degree and of the field. But you came here asking for advice from actual psychologists and graduate students...and have systematically ignored it. This makes absolutely no sense to any of us. The only conclusion that can be drawn is that this reflects marked immaturity and defensiveness...which of course is incompatible with the demands of the field and the work you will be doing.

Last edited:
They say on their website that it usually takes students 2 to 4 years to complete the Program I'm interested in.

I figure let us just go down the middle and assume that I will complete it in 3 years. Oh but I will still have those 1200 hours to complete and extra courses to get into the program since I have no M.A.

So I'm looking at 4 years total in this program, give or take.

Seeeeeeeee....I will be like those OTHER students that took the long way and went to an accredited university for 4 years.:laugh:

We maybe driving at different mph on different roads, but in the end we both meet up at the same red light....<----Do you like my analogy? :p

I'm also really confused about the remark regarding not wanting to do a clinical work. That's what therapy is. Did you mean something different?

They say on their website that it usually takes students 2 to 4 years to complete the Program I'm interested in.

So? Even if they said it takes the average student 10 years to complete their program; it doesn't make the degree from this program less phony.

We maybe driving at different mph on different roads, but in the end we both meet up at the same red light....<----Do you like my analogy? :p

But that's exactly problem that you don't seem to grasp. The only thing you will have in common with graduates from established programs are the letters after your name. That's it. Period.

The reason most people usually seek an advanced degree is to a) advance their career, b) increase their chances of employment and c) better pay. The degree you're seeking does not result in any of these and yet, you're still willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars on it.

I figure let us just go down the middle and assume that I will complete it in 3 years. Oh but I will still have those 1200 hours to complete and extra courses to get into the program since I have no M.A.

Seeeeeeeee....I will be like those OTHER students that took the long way and went to an accredited university for 4 years.:laugh:

You never answered my question, since you want to be a therapist, which therapist licensure are you going to be able to pursue in CA with this PhD? What is your backup plan if you cannot get licensed in CA?

Ok, I'm starting to think that Miss San Diego is a fake and is just pulling our leg. I think her posts are just too ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'm starting to think that Miss San Diego is a fake and is just pulling our leg. I think her posts are just too ridiculous.

Nope...this is real. This is me. It's just that I am from California....that is how we roll here....we are ALL phonies here....hahahah

It is my humble opinion Mr. Erg 923 is/was going to say something along those lines, so I thought I would beat him to it. I hope he can take it as much as he dishes it out. :laugh:

PHD12...I have to think about that question. Not sure what my answer is yet.

Last edited:

Or just mentally aberrant.

Or just mentally aberrant.

Because of my poor and less than proper education, I had to look this up. Thanks Doc, I learned something new today :p

ab·er·rant [uh-ber-uhnt, ab-er-] Show IPA
adjective
departing from the right, normal, or usual course.
deviating from the ordinary, usual, or normal type; exceptional; abnormal.
noun
an aberrant person, thing, group, etc.

You're hamstringing yourself at the starting gate. Seriously, don't do it. Or do it, I don't care...you won't be competing for my jobs. :laugh:

While the advice given to the OP has been honest and blunt, it doesn't really seem like anyone gave any advice (and sorry if i missed it) on how to actually turn his situation around. He probably feels stuck, came on here for advice but most of what he got was criticism. Again, I'm not asking about the OP specifically, but for the motivated, intelligent, mature individual who just happened to make some poor academic choices. Is he/she doomed forever? Or is there a chance he can still pursue his dreams?

You have to do the work - there is no way around it. My grandmother said if PhDs were easy, they would hand them out - which they do not nor should they.

If the OP has only enough energy for one more degree than reframe your thinking or earn your degree to be writer, but do not practice as a therapist without legitimate and proper training. It is detrimental to anyone you serve. And don't get me started about not having energy and wanting that PhD. I have 4 kids, I work my behind off on my clinical and research work, I critically absorb knowledge in my spare time, I work hard at a loving relationship with my husband, I maintain solid friendships with an active & fun social life, and I still make some time for SDN. But I am the exception and if you want what you want, you must figure out how to be exceptional amongst your peers; otherwise, you may not have what the profession calls for....and there are important reasons why we cannot exceed certain limitations. Where there is a will, there is certainly a way....but a proper way vs. a cheap, crude way of obtaining your goals.

One perfect formula that I see countless times for those pursuing clinical psych PhDs (who were not focused and immature during undergrad) is to go back for a masters degree, dedicate oneself to some sort of volunteer work and find work in research that gives you experience in academic publishing....AND maintain ties with folks along the way who can wholeheartedly see your determination and spirit to vouch for your character & fine work. There is a chance to always pursue your dreams, but we all have to work within our realistic boundaries, as Therapist4Change mentioned about wanting to do neurosurgery as an undergrad - So T4C became a neuropsychologist...the dream was just modified to fit reality. My brother (an attorney) told me after my second year of applying to programs that if I didn't make the cut the second time, that I had to do some serious reality checking and may not fulfill those goals. Luckily, I got in after the second round of apps...but boy, did I work very hard for that to happen! Blood, sweat and tears hard! But this is life, and we are constantly modifying our destiny. The only plan that was set at birth was our genetic make-up (and the cultural & socioeconomic status under which we were brought into this world), but things can change, and as adults, we have volition. However, with our own free will, we must make reasonable choices, especially if you are learning from past mistakes.

As Marissa4usa said, this concept NEEDS to be grasped. 2014SanDiegoPhD, you will not meet a licensed art therapist at the same red light. And you certainly will not meet any APA-accredited PhD at this red light. (Sounds snotty, but it is not meant to be.) You will not be equal and you should not delude yourself in thinking this - To do so would be an irrational thought. You will receive a higher education (as intrinsic as it may be) but you will limit your legitimate chances of employment. Employers will not hire you if they have to constantly supervise you because you have not met the requirements of licensure. Or they will hire you and realize that you are not properly trained which will cause you more grief. PERIOD.

My last note to the OP is to speak with someone in your town, either a licensed therapist or spiritual advisor (priest, pundit, etc.) BEFORE enrolling in the program. Find our your true motivation for wanting a degree that seems merely intrinsic because it does not fit the criteria that Marissa4usa stated "a) advance their career, b) increase their chances of employment and c) better pay."

To the others, I suggest ceasing engagement with the OP because there is undoubtedly some heated convincing of spirit that just will not occur especially via the internet, and this type of scenario can only end badly. Black and white thinking doesn't help anyone.

I know that if my child or child/adult patient ever needed a creative art therapy...I would only seek out someone who was legit. Likewise, for any book that I read...I'm always curious about the authors' credentials and even Dr. Seuss was a Dartmouth graduate (not that you need to be Ivy League, but his experiences in life and the path he chose makes his works stand the test of time as they are now literary classics).

2014SanDiegoPhD, you have an MBA - use it to make wise finanical decisions. I think your education at SDUIS will be really interesting, but just keep in your mind that at the end of it, but you will not be equipt to treat the clinical population. For that, you have to work just a little bit harder (for which you already stated you did not have the energy for). However, I believe you will be equipt to write a damn good book (because I'm straightforward, but keep my rose colored glasses on most of the time). Enjoy your classes and good luck writing your book. :luck:

Last edited:
Well it's like 2am here, and I am up thinking.

I was actually reading this thread again in it's entirety.

Right now we are half way through August. I still have September, October, November, and December before I officially start on January 6th I believe.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that a lot can happen in that span of time. Maybe something else will click with my spirit, and I will change my mind....:idea:

I think tomorrow, or sometime this week, I will go to the Uni. in person and talk to them. Ask questions and try to get answers. Of course they are going to be biased because they will want me to go there, so maybe I should see an academic counselor at another Uni. I might go to someone else too....such as SDSU where I started at....and ask the tough questions.

We shall see. I will try to think objectively.....*TRY* And think long and hard about this one.

As for the funding, like I mentioned there is a grant I qualify for that will cut the tuition in half. But I still have to think about the other half. I am going to roughly be making a $300 payment each month for 3-4 years. That's like a heavy car payment. I cannot say I am thrilled about this, but loans are NOT an option for me.

I still want to go to SDUIS, but I will put it through the ringer and really exhaust any other possibilities.

Right now it looks fitting to me because I have a job interview (not related to psych) on Wed. and the job is RIGHT down the street from SDUIS. This would be perfect.

Must try to lay me down again :sleep:

Nope, still not sleepy enough.

Here are some of my thoughts at 3am.

Some of the best thinkers, inventors etc. NEVER went to school. This is a tricky one if you ask me. By no means am I suggesting that I am that good of a therapist that I do not need training....banish the thought! But what I do want to stress is that the APA format is pretty ridged....and perhaps rightfully so. I mean we deal with people not lab rats here. But that can sometimes hinder the creative process. And for someone like myself who enjoys creativity, APA sounds hell-a boring and a snooze fest.

I am not sure I am expressing myself eloquently enough, but I am sure you all get the gist of what I am trying to ultimately say here. Why subject myself to the methods of APA, when I can try something new, something more expressive, something more fun, something different. Something out of the box.

Well I will see how you guys respond to these thoughts soon enough. Try to be merciful, it is 3am here. There are soooo many people in history that dumped the traditional way, and created a new way when they went down a different path, a path that was not well beaten. Did you guys know that when Walt Disney was in school, one of his teachers said that he lacked creativity!? What? That's crazy. He turned out to be one of thee most creative people ever. It is a fine line between extraordinary and bat-**** crazy....

Whether or not APA accreditation and standards sound "rigid," they are there (as you've alluded) to protect the patient by ensuring that psychologists receive adequate training. Therapy is based on science first, not creativity; you can feel free to inject as much creativity into it as you'd like after you understand the science (and, by extension, theory) on which it's based. Foregoing those aspects of the training because they sound "boring" is akin to foregoing concepts of biochemistry in medical school because it isn't interesting; it's a central tenet on which further information and knowledge are based.

I'd also be wary of any doctoral program that claims it can be completed in as little as 2 years, regardless of whether or not you enter with a masters.

That's all just my take, though. Ultimately, of course, the decision is yours to make.

Last edited:
1. I think this thread should be locked.

2. I would suggest the OP get their head out of the clouds and look up the term mode/modal.

Last edited:
As (many) others have (repeatedly) said, the program not a good choice.

Getting another degree, especially one that costs tens of thousands, should be done to get a promotion, higher pay, etc., as others have already mentioned. Doesn't appear this would do that.

I'm sure there are graduates or faculty of this program kicking around. Go to two or three weekend seminars. I'm *certain* people are running them; either the program puts them on or graduates of the program will. That would give you the knowledge you want at a tiny fraction of the cost and time.

[Some of the best thinkers, inventors etc. NEVER went to school. This is a tricky one if you ask me. By no means am I suggesting that I am that good of a therapist that I do not need training....banish the thought! But what I do want to stress is that the APA format is pretty ridged....and perhaps rightfully so. I mean we deal with people not lab rats here. But that can sometimes hinder the creative process. And for someone like myself who enjoys creativity, APA sounds hell-a boring and a snooze fest.

I'm an artist and I used to do creative writing as well. My friend in my cohort is a painter. One of my professors is an artist. Trust me, you can be creative and enjoy psychology doctoral study.

Some of the best thinkers, inventors etc. NEVER went to school. This is a tricky one if you ask me. By no means am I suggesting that I am that good of a therapist that I do not need training....banish the thought! But what I do want to stress is that the APA format is pretty ridged....and perhaps rightfully so. I mean we deal with people not lab rats here. But that can sometimes hinder the creative process. And for someone like myself who enjoys creativity, APA sounds hell-a boring and a snooze fest.

I am not sure I am expressing myself eloquently enough, but I am sure you all get the gist of what I am trying to ultimately say here. Why subject myself to the methods of APA, when I can try something new, something more expressive, something more fun, something different. Something out of the box.

Well I will see how you guys respond to these thoughts soon enough. Try to be merciful, it is 3am here. There are soooo many people in history that dumped the traditional way, and created a new way when they went down a different path, a path that was not well beaten. Did you guys know that when Walt Disney was in school, one of his teachers said that he lacked creativity!? What? That's crazy. He turned out to be one of thee most creative people ever. It is a fine line between extraordinary and bat-**** crazy....

I am not suggesting that you are going to end up doing something unethical, but there are a lot of therapists who think they can "do things their way" who end violating ethical standards and boundaries with patients. It happens all the time that patients are taken advantage of and harmed by improperly trained therapists who are trying new techniques without training etc. If you are working with a vulnerable population, you really need to get the most rigorous training so that you don't end up harming your patients. I hear tons of boundary violations from patients that I see. Most of the time these therapists went to these "integrative" schools in CA that do not teach evidence-based treatments.

2014SanDiegoPhD, I feel for you. In my opinion, this thread has become unnecessarily harsh and critical of your plans. At the end of the day, you do what you want to do. A bunch of strangers on an anonymous website won't convince you otherwise. However, with that being said, often times reality is practical, harsh, and critical. It seems like you have this whole world of dreams and how you see yourself in 10 years, but before taking the plunge, try to do more research (past this thread) about whether those dreams are achievable and how do you get there. I come from a first generation college family, with plenty of family pressure to be called "doctor". They don't care what kind of doctor it is, as long as I get called doctor, they feel like I've made it. But I'm not doing this for them, or for anyone else, it's because this is a means to an end as to get where I want to be. Some questions I would suggest you think about are:

1) What do you REALLY want to be. Often times, I've unconsciously molded my aspirations to match with what is the most convenient path. So for example, are you choosing this program because you love expressive art therapy? Or do you love expressive art therapy because this is the most convenient program for you to get a PhD?

2) Where are the alumni of this program now? Don't talk to the program coordinator, try to do your own research. Ask them if they have an alumni database, and whether you can reach out to some of them. Ask to speak to some current students that are NOT part of the recruitment process. Keep in mind, if you talk to current students, they may not tell you the whole truth of the program for fear of repercussions for badmouthing them. I would reach out to alumni if you can.

3) Try to find a professional in SD that is doing EXACTLY what you want to do. Reach out to him/her. Email them, meet up with them, shadow them, work for them...whatever you want to do. Then ask them how did they get there? What are their opinions of the program you're thinking of?

Obviously I don't know you, and really don't care much about what happens to you. I honestly don't think most people on here have a personal connection to you and want to save you from that program. Most of the replies seem to just want to prove they're right and you're wrong. But really, does that matter? You're putting your future on the line. You owe it to yourself to do the necessary research. If at the end of the day, you want to take the plunge and feel the program is the right one, then so be it. But again, YOU are the one that have to deal with the consequences- good and bad.

Best of luck to you.

I would definitely imagine for a moment that we're talking about a medical doctor and what implications a lack of accreditation would mean for their training. While someone's physical well-being isn't at stake in therapy, his or her mental well-being is just as important. Bad therapy, however you want to define that term, can have long-lasting damaging effects on patients.

More than anything though, if you are questioning formal training altogether, then why even bother enrolling in and paying for a program? Why not just read some books or something? You won't be any more qualified with this program than if you just did that. The only difference is you wouldn't be misleading potential patients with "Dr." in front of your name. The bottom line that everyone is trying to impart to you is that if you want a legitimate degree, you need a legitimate program. Your original question was about this program's credibility and these responses reflect the truth about that. I still don't understand (and this has been asked multiple times) why you wouldn't just get a master's in counseling with a specialization in art therapy, or whatever is required for that in your state? I think (again, as has already been pointed out) you are just very fixated on having "Dr." in front of your name, which is problematic in and of itself. It's quite frankly insulting to those of us that have worked/are working hard towards a real doctoral degree, but in the end, the doors it won't open for you will take care of that I guess.

Well I'll be damned....

I e-mailed the Director of the Program several days ago...she e-mailed me back finally this morning. Want to know what she said? Here it is:

Hello Justyna,

I apologize for the delayed response. The following information is what you would need in order to get licensed:

COURSEWORK RQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSING
1. Human Sexuality and Gender Issues (minimum 10 contact hours)

2. Physiological Psychology

3. Cognitive Psychology

4. Social Psychology

5. Legal and Ethical Issues

6. Psychological Tests & Measurements or Assessment courses (Intelligence Testing, Personality Testing)

7. Behavioral Statistics

8. Advanced Research Methods

9. Supervised Practicum

10. Chemical Dependency (1 quarter or semester course)

11. Child Abuse Assessment and Treatment

12. Partner Abuse Assessment and Treatment

13. Aging and Long Term Care

GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR COLLECTING HOURS
Completion of 72 hours of graduate level coursework needed to begin collecting hours as a &#8216;psychological trainee'.

For the required hours for licensing you would need to complete 3,000 hours:

Psychology and MFT state certification requires three thousand (3,000) supervised internship hours, sometimes referred to as &#8216;licensing hours'. The Psy.D. and Ph.D. psychology students' licensing requirements are regulated by the California Board of Psychology (BOP), and the MFT students' licensing requirements are regulated by the Board of Behavioral Science (BBS)

I guess we can close the thread now, I AGREE....one of the lessons learned, TALK TO THE ONE IN CHARGE NOT THE ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR WHO KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT THE LISENSURE.

CAN WE ALL HUG AND MAKE-UP NOW? NO HARD FEELINGS RIGHT? :love: ALL IS WELL THAT ENDS WELL.... :) THE END....AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

Last edited:
I am going to go to SDUIS and raise hell about their admissions counselors misleading poor innocent prospective students like myself...:laugh:

Actually I am not going to do that....j/k. I will be nice. I am going for my interview tomorrow at 2:30pm for my job, and then swing by the Uni. and talk to them face to face since it's like down the street from where I MIGHT be working. This is like a freaking miracle or something....:laugh:

Hallelujah! There is a God! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ETA: I am not too keen about some of those research and statistical classes, not my forte, but oh well.

Last edited:
I am going to go to SDUIS and raise hell about their admissions counselors misleading poor innocent prospective students like myself...:laugh:

Actually I am not going to do that....j/k. I will be nice. I am going for my interview tomorrow at 2:30 for my job, and then swing by the Uni. and talk to them face to face since it's like down the street from where I MIGHT be working. This is like a freaking miracle or something....:laugh

Hallelujah! There is a God! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ETA: I am not too keen about some of those research and statistical classes, not my forte, but oh well.

As someone else suggested, talking to alumni would be your best bet. Interestingly, I don't even know if this program has ANY alumni. I did a search on my linkedin account (I have over 500+ contacts, with a professional network of 50,000 who are mostly psychologists) and couldn't find anyone who completed this PhD program who is connected to anyone. This is very unusual. Usually 100 people+ come up in my network as 2nd to 3rd degree connections from any given program. However, I did find someone who completed the MA program at SDUIS and got licensed as an MFT: http://www.francesber.com/about.html

You can contact her. She is a life coach/therapist with the MFT licensure in your favorite city, SD.

As someone else suggested, talking to alumni would be your best bet. Interestingly, I don't even know if this program has ANY alumni. I did a search on my linkedin account (I have over 500+ contacts, with a professional network of 50,000 who are mostly psychologists) and couldn't find anyone who completed this PhD program who is connected to anyone. This is very unusual. Usually 100 people+ come up in my network as 2nd to 3rd degree connections from any given program. However, I did find someone who completed the MA program at SDUIS and got licensed as an MFT: http://www.francesber.com/about.html

You can contact her. She is a life coach/therapist with the MFT licensure in your favorite city, SD.

Oh wow, thank you PHD12....thanks for looking into that for me. I will for sure contact her and get her perspective on things. That will be helpful.

ETA: I know the Uni. takes a substantial number of international students as they have some sort of exchange program going on, so I wonder if that has anything to do with them not being part of the "LOOP." Hard to say.

Last edited:
I was curious about alumni myself, so I googled the program and found one alum from the PhD program. She is practicing without any license at all (this is illegal) and specializes in Back Flower and Chilean Flower Therapy, EMDR and psychodrama, mostly seeing PTSD victims. You can contact her about the program.

Can we report this somewhere?

Last edited:
Gotta love how she does everything under the sun EXCEPT standard of care treatments/approaches. Gotta love psychotherapists that hate psychology, apparently. Scary stuff.

Can we report this somewhere?

Report her to the CA state licensing board (prob. psych, as she listed EMDR as a treatment option). If you are unsure of which licensing board applies, then you can inquire with the California Dept of Consumer Affairs, which I believe oversees the various licensing boards for the state: http://www.dca.ca.gov

It blows my mind how many hacks are out there providing "services" without proper licensure or even training.

I'm an artist and I used to do creative writing as well. My friend in my cohort is a painter. One of my professors is an artist. Trust me, you can be creative and enjoy psychology doctoral study.

Another creative writer here (a soon to be published one too)--see, OP, there are plenty of creative people in this field. :)

However, "creative" doesn't mean that you can just do whatever you want, be with clients or with research. I'm a huge proponent of EBT and I often seen "creativity" misappropriated to mean "I can do whatever I want, even if it has no evidence base whatsoever," which can really hurt a client. Similarly, you can;'t just ignore standard research practices because you're being "creative"--it draws serious doubt to your conclusions, and, if serious enough, your ethics.

Report her to the CA state licensing board (prob. psych, as she listed EMDR as a treatment option). If you are unsure of which licensing board applies, then you can inquire with the California Dept of Consumer Affairs, which I believe oversees the various licensing boards for the state: http://www.dca.ca.gov

It blows my mind how many hacks are out there providing "services" without proper licensure or even training.

Yep, reported her online. Looked her up and verified that she isn't licensed.

Last edited:
I am curious--what makes you think that you're going to get different answers, if you wisely decide to ask people outside of the school that wants your money, from the answers we've given you here?

There are very gifted therapists who were not trained in ways that most people on this forum would approve of. But...they were trained. You may be a very gifted whatever--but it is in your long-term interest to do whatever it is you want to do without spending $25K.

I was curious about alumni myself, so I googled the program and found one alum from the PhD program. She is practicing without any license at all (this is illegal) and specializes in Back Flower and Chilean Flower Therapy, EMDR and psychodrama, mostly seeing PTSD victims. You can contact her about the program.

Oh dear God.

I'm on here taking a break from EPPP studying, and this thread really and truly is helping me to restructure my thinking about the exam (which had previously seemed pretty useless). Suddenly having to clear another hurdle doesn't seem like such a bad thing, after all.

The original poster seems to think that this outcome is "like, totally awesome", and has decided to purse a degree at said institution. Fan-tastic...

Next time I'm in cali having problems, Ill just look-up her, maharishi mahesh yogi, a snake oil salesman, and a used car salesman so i will feel all better again.

Oh dear God.

I'm on here taking a break from EPPP studying, and this thread really and truly is helping me to restructure my thinking about the exam (which had previously seemed pretty useless). Suddenly having to clear another hurdle doesn't seem like such a bad thing, after all.

I am glad I can help someone.

I plan on going to Community College first for a semester or two and get my undergrad GPA higher and then go from there. That is the latest update. I want to do it right. I do, just didn't think it was possible anymore.

The original poster seems to think that this outcome is "like, totally awesome", and has decided to purse a degree at said institution. Fan-tastic...

Next time I'm in cali having problems, Ill just look-up her, maharishi mahesh yogi, a snake oil salesman, and a used car salesman so i will feel all better again.

There is always a story behind every graduate student that completes a degree online or pays a lot of money to go to Universities like these. Yes it is true that some just want to take the easiest route....but some like me felt stuck and didn't think it was possible to redeem themselves and do it the old fashioned way.

I think you read my other thread and how I received better advice and how I plan to take it.

So this post of yours is sort of uncalled for and a cheap shot below the belt if you ask me. I think I will let it go, because I am starting to think this is sort of your personality and your overall sense of humor....:laugh:

Instead of criticizing me, some on this board decided to give me very useful and practical advice about going to a CC and fixing the problem at it's root.....the low GPA in my undergrad.

No. I don't think there is anything funny about it. People who do that are doing a disservice to the profession, and more importantly, to future prospective clients who probably assume (rightfully so) that psychotherapists are doing actual psychology...you know stuff based on science and evidence/research.

Instead of criticizing me, some on this board decided to give me very useful and practical advice about going to a CC and fixing the problem at it's root.....the low GPA in my undergrad.

That's nice, but historically, you were not open to any feedback that didn't tell you that that program you asked about was made of sunshine and gummy bears. Right?

Look at your initial reaction to the very pragmatic opinions and advice you got to your original inquiry for goodness sake.

Last edited:
No. I don't think there is anything funny about it. People who do that are doing a disservice to the profession, and more importantly, to future prospective clients who probably assume (rightfully so) that psychotherapists are doing actual psychology...you know stuff based on science and evidence/research.

Alright I get it, you do not respect people who have travelled down the road I have in terms of doing degrees online and spending money to buy a degree and thereby doing injustice to the profession. I respect your zeal for professionalism. I am sure I am just one of many you have seen on this board.....and you are probably clumping me together with everyone else.

A little credit here though....I am trying to turn this boat around and get it right.

That's nice, but historically, you were not open to any feedback that didn't tell you that that program you asked about was made of sunshine and gummy bears. Right?

Look at your initial reaction to the very pragmatic opinions and advice you got to your original inquiry for goodness sake.

Yes you are right.