PhD or PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostsoul12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing PharmD my whole life, but then I realized that I wanted to do more of the research aspect of pharmaceuticals involving developing drugs so then I considered getting my PhD in pharmaceutical sciences instead after shadowing a pharmacist. However, I'm a little confused because from what I've heard PhD's can do all the research, but aren't licensed to do PharmD work, whereas a PharmD can practice as both a pharmacist and a researcher if they do a fellowship or something like that. I'm just wondering which one is worth pursuing in the long run. I feel like I'll have more job stability with the PharmD, can still do research, and can even practice as a pharmacist if I ever wanted to do that. I'm just trying to see the pros and cons of both and which one is worth pursuing. Any thoughts/inputs would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

initially I am interest in PHD/PHARM too. But a pharmacy student dissuade me. She told me it took way too long to complete the joint program. While you over 10K debt accumulating for pharmacy school, you will start to your PHD program and live on stipend. Industries hire mostly master students to develop their drug. So you can be over-qualify for most industry jobs.

Get a PharmD, better paid, more flexibility, you could always move into research field as a PharmD, but you cant move into PharmD side with just a PhD.