PhD/PsyD PhD psy programs w/ research around stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caps1001

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm compiling a list of programs that have faculty members doing research that I'm interested in, and I wanted to reach out to make sure I'm not missing any faculty. My research interest is around the impact of stress on physical health. I would like to focus on stress/allostatic load and its impact on health among ethnic and sexual minorities. Looking at cortisol levels, inflammation, etc as a result of "stress" (minority stress theory, allostatic load, etc) and how that ultimately increases risk for CVD, chronic diseases, etc. I'm also interested in HIV-prevention, risk factors for HIV, etc. Generally around the social & behavioral medicine area.

The area is very much between psychology and public health, and so I've been finding programs in both areas with faculty that does similar research. Additionally, I've been finding that some programs are either: a PhD program in health psychology, a health psychology track within a PhD clinical psychology program, or within a public health program (e.g. PhD in social & behavioral, PhD in sociomedical sciences).

I'm less inclined to go the public health route as many programs require a masters degree. However, if I go to the psychology route, they're not very heavy on having any form of post-bac degrees, and I would essentially be doing the same research regardless of if I went the public health or psychology degree route.

And lastly, should I be looking for faculty who do stress-research or faculty who does LGBTQ/minority research? I can hardly find any faculty that does research in both areas that I'm interested in.

Thank you so much for any thoughts and comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at the CCHPTP member programs: cchptp.org

This isn't an exhaustive list of clinical health psychology programs but it's a good start. There are also some social psychology programs that have faculty or programmatic emphasis on population health.

It's true that there are also some faculty in public health programs working on the kind of research that interests you, but of course the emphasis of doctoral training is different. Perhaps most significantly, public health doesn't prepare you for clinical practice, and there are some trade-offs to that.