phd to mstp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bela20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there been able to successfully transfer from a phd program to an MSTP? If so, what school do you attend for mstp, and how far into the phd program were you able to transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

There is a MS1 here at UPenn who transfered into MSTP after completing 2 years of grad school.

a couple of people have been able to at vanderbilt, a while back. lately it's been harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious as to whether or not the grad credits were transferred and if so, how many. I don't know If I'd be willing to toss aside two years of grad school just to face 8 more in the MSTP!

-X

javert said:
There is a MS1 here at UPenn who transfered into MSTP after completing 2 years of grad school.

QofQuimica said:
I tried to do this and was not successful. I will be completing both degrees separately.

do you mind posting what school you tried transferring at?

xanthines said:
I'm curious as to whether or not the grad credits were transferred and if so, how many. I don't know If I'd be willing to toss aside two years of grad school just to face 8 more in the MSTP!

-X

I believe all grad credits "transferred"--she's in the same grad group at the same school as she was when she was doing only a PhD; it would be ridiculous to have someone repeat the exact same courses. She already has a thesis lab, so as far as I know after 2 years of med school she will imediately start working on her thesis.

Oh, for some reason I thought she transferred from Grad school at University of X into the Penn MSTP.

Yes, it would be ridiculous to repeat the exact same coursework for only administrative purposes. One guy here almost had to do that. It took some fighting, though.

-X

javert said:
I believe all grad credits "transferred"--she's in the same grad group at the same school as she was when she was doing only a PhD; it would be ridiculous to have someone repeat the exact same courses. She already has a thesis lab, so as far as I know after 2 years of med school she will imediately start working on her thesis.

JPaikman said:
Can't do that at UAB, Q :(.

Yes, so I found out. But I'm getting there in the long run. ;)

bela, the school was UAB. The medical school dean there told me that transfers couldn't be done, but they would be happy to have me apply for straight MD once I was finished with my PhD. I'm graduating this year, and I just sent in my secondary to UAB last week, so we'll see what happens now. :)

Update: I have been accepted to medical school for fall 2006, and I will be graduating with my PhD in May or Aug. 2005. So it's taking me a little longer, but I'm gonna get that MD/PhD in the end. :laugh: Anyone else here doing separate MD and PhD degrees and starting med school in the fall?

QofQuimica said:
Update: I have been accepted to medical school for fall 2006, and I will be graduating with my PhD in May or Aug. 2005. So it's taking me a little longer, but I'm gonna get that MD/PhD in the end. :laugh: Anyone else here doing separate MD and PhD degrees and starting med school in the fall?
Oh god that sounds painful. How many years did you spend on the phd?

Bluntman said:
Oh god that sounds painful. How many years did you spend on the phd?

Well, I didn't exactly do my PhD in a very direct route either, so it's going to end up being nine years from the time I started grad school until the time I graduate with the PhD. I earned my MS, took some time off, and then went back for my PhD. I also took a hiatus during grad school. All in all, I'll have spent about 7.5 years working full-time on my graduate degrees.

It has definitely been rough at various times, and I'm sure it will continue to be rough. But right now I am just floating. ;)

QofQuimica said:
Well, I didn't exactly do my PhD in a very direct route either, so it's going to end up being nine years from the time I started grad school until the time I graduate with the PhD. I earned my MS, took some time off, and then went back for my PhD. I also took a hiatus during grad school. All in all, I'll have spent about 7.5 years working full-time on my graduate degrees.

It has definitely been rough at various times, and I'm sure it will continue to be rough. But right now I am just floating. ;)

Congrats on your acceptance. :D

Thundrstorm said:
Congrats on your acceptance. :D

Thanks. :) Even though I wouldn't officially be part of the MD/PhD programs at these schools, I'm still glad that they offer MD/PhD so that there will be some other research-oriented people around. I went to that APSA meeting in Chicago last spring, and it was a pretty great feeling to be around so many other people who are also working toward MD/PhDs. :)

QofQuimica said:

I'm with ya, Q - I had a very similar experience a large midwestern school with an underachieving football team - I was told that in order to join the MSTP I'd have to take a leave from the PhD. I would have had to start all over again with a new project, not worth it. I finished my PhD in December '04, did a nine month post-doc until last August when I started med school. I'm still post doc-ing part time on the weekends to make ends meet.

There certainly are more efficient ways to do it, but it hasn't been all bad so far. Med school is a pretty nice change of pace after grad school, takes a little getting used to, but I'm hitting my stride now.

Good luck to you!

mendel121 said:
I'm with ya, Q - I had a very similar experience a large midwestern school with an underachieving football team - I was told that in order to join the MSTP I'd have to take a leave from the PhD. I would have had to start all over again with a new project, not worth it. I finished my PhD in December '04, did a nine month post-doc until last August when I started med school. I'm still post doc-ing part time on the weekends to make ends meet.
I agree with the above. If you're far along in your thesis research, taking time off to do the first two years of medical school by joining an MSTP may not be worth it. It might be better to finish up your graduate studies and then apply straight to med school. Anything can happen during these two years off (advances in your field during a simple two years can leave you kinda dry by the time you come back to the lab...and yes, you may have to start a new project).

I was at the MSTP from the same school with this overrated underachieving football team. I only knew two people who transferred from PhD to MSTP. First of all, it was difficult to transfer (it is more common to see people transfer from MD to MSTP). One person hadn't even picked a PhD mentor yet and transferred merely after his first year of pre-candidate studies. He had done rotations already but he still did further rotations before settling on a lab. He finished in 8 years total...did a great job. The other person who did this was in my class. However, he was very exceptional. He had worked in Steve Goldstein's lab for a few years before starting med school. He had already published papers and was well established in that lab as well as his field. The catch was that he skipped a lot of his classes and worked a lot during the days and nights in the lab so that he wouldn't lose touch. His grad work did suffer a bit because med school is no easy thing. There is a lot to learn and you gotta spend some time studying to learn your stuff, especially if you wanna rock your boards. But his transition from M1 and M2 year back to PhD studies was effortless.

Transferring from PhD to MSTP can be done but it does throw a wrench into things. There is nothing wrong with finishing the PhD first and then completing med school. You still get the same training and you still end up with the same degrees you would've gotten by completing an MSTP. And there is no discrimination against PhD, MD candidates when compared to MSTP grads when it comes down to residency.

mendel121 said:
There certainly are more efficient ways to do it, but it hasn't been all bad so far. Med school is a pretty nice change of pace after grad school, takes a little getting used to, but I'm hitting my stride now.

Good luck to you!

Thanks, you too. :) I was asked by one interviewer how I felt about being around 40 when I'd finally start my career, and I told him that I'd be 40 in ten years no matter what I did. So I might as well be 40 with an MD and doing something I love.

Andy, I don't know if your post was directed at me, but since I'm almost done (I've actually started writing my dissertation), I will definitely finish the PhD before matriculating in med school in the fall. I've found that there are several other people who have done this PhD then MD thing---not tons, but a handful. Still, I always like finding out about more. ;)

QofQuimica said:
Andy, I don't know if your post was directed at me, but since I'm almost done (I've actually started writing my dissertation), I will definitely finish the PhD before matriculating in med school in the fall. I've found that there are several other people who have done this PhD then MD thing---not tons, but a handful. Still, I always like finding out about more. ;)
My post wasn't directed at you or anyone. I was commenting more on an idea that mendel brought up.

mendel121 said:

Good luck to you!

Mendel and Q of Q, you guys both have very interesting stories.

I am a 4th year PhD student and currently a Markey Fellow where I am enrolled in a class that covers the clinical side of 3 diseases (Alzheimer's, Breast Cancer, and Rheumatoid Arthritis) and I am finding that I really like this stuff. So much so that I am looking at what I will need to do to get an MD. I wish you the best of luck and may PM you guys asking about timing your applications with regards to defending dates and, like Mendel, trying to fit in a post-doc part-time during the first two years. Thanks for your stories. You too, Andy.

FG.