PhD vs Dr.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zn1988

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apology is this question had been asked before because this is my first post in the pharmacy student forum.
I got accepted in a Pharmacy school in Fl. However, I really want to get into Pharmacy schools that have dual program. The dual program pharmacy school that I am applying to is Idaho State university. I am wondering which is better: PharmD after 4 years, then open my own business after several years of working, or PhD in Pharmacology, pharmaceutical science in 1-2 years after 4 years of PharmD?
Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want a clinically-centered job that involves treating and helping individual patients, the PharmD route is your best option. If you want to work drug invention or really anywhere in industy, getting a PhD would help you get on your way a bit more. It really isn't up to anyone but you to decide which is better. If I had the willpower, I'd probably go get a PhD in pharmacology myself and get into research...I don't think my GPA is high enough though. Eh....

Yeah, I think this is really a very individual decision that you have to make. If you do decided to go into research, you need to really love it because it is very time consuming.

The professors I have talked to say that most PhD students are required to work 50-60 hours a week on their projects for very little (~20,000/yr). It might be hard to get paid this little for several years when you have a much higher earning potential as a PharmD.

I have also heard that most PhDs at universities work about the same 50-60 hours/week. I am not sure about other positions, like industry.

If you can, try to get some experience in a professor's lab at your school to see what it research all about. Talk to your professors and TAs. It is much better to make an informed decision that you do not want to do something than to wonder wonder if.

Members don't see this ad :)
Houston is going to offer the PharmD and PhD both separately and as a dual degree.

I am not only responsible for myself. My brother will be attending medschool in America once I finish my degree, so finance plays a big role in my decision. I prefer doing research rather than working as a regular pharmacist. I just don't know if PhDers after graduate can make money as much as retail pharmacists.

I am not only responsible for myself. My brother will be attending medschool in America once I finish my degree, so finance plays a big role in my decision. I prefer doing research rather than working as a regular pharmacist. I just don't know if PhDers after graduate can make money as much as retail pharmacists.

I think PharmDs will usually make more money than researchers. I'm not particularly familiar with pharmacology research specifically, but the problem with becoming a researcher in most cases is that first you have to do the PhD (which is no specified amount of time, right? Lasts however long it lasts), then you still really can't get a job. Now you get to be a post doc and make $35,000 a year (for an unspecified amount of time). Ten years down the road, maybe you will finally get your $70,000 a year job.

Can s.o give me some more ideas about PhD degree ( especially positive ideas since I am about to drop the dual pharmacy school pre-req class). Thanks