Phi Delta Epsilon...is it worth it??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balder1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
there is a pre-med chapter in my school called phi delta epsilon. they have some benefits in their chapter but they tricked some people thinking that their rate of acceptance is 93% in the U.S. After doing some research it stated in their chapter that they have 93% of acceptances going to medical school internationally. I'm not a fraternity person but lots of my friends told me to rush with them, thinking that they really need this for their lives. Is it really worth it? Anyone part of a pre-med fraternity here as well? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know that you really 'rush' an academic fraternity... that's more of a social frat thing, at least that's the only way I've ever heard it used.

All the academic fraternities I've qualified for / fallen ass-backwards into never made a difference one way or another on my application; I'd suspect the same is true of PDE.

I'm in PhiDE and I really think it was worth it. You do have to rush, and also pledge depending on your school. The frat at my school is very active so we get opportunities to do alot, so its not a waste of time.

Unless you're in it for friends and networking. Don't do it.

Being active can easily become more of a distraction than a source of support. If you want to get involved with an organization to boost your extracurriculars, I recommend somethng more grounded and less 'fratty' eg. Americorps, Clinical Care Extenders or a Teaching-based organization. The moment when you start feeling that your frat involvement is overtaking your study time/performance, that's when you've gone too far... IMHO