Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Phi Kappa Phi worth it?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrDrew, Mar 12, 2007.

1. DrDrew

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So at my school due to my major I'm not eligible for Phi Beta Kappa, but got a nomination to Phi Kappa Phi, which doesn't discriminate against majors...

It seems a little more reputable than Golden Key, but not quite as good as Phi Beta Kappa. Is this thing worth the $50 membership fee?

Anyone here in it and care to comment?

2. Navicular

Navicular Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    I joined it... waste of money. No one cares about Phi Kappa Phi. I seriously question why they even have a membership fee. You don't even get anything besides a lousy piece of paper. You could always write on any application that you were nominated for PKP and save the money... ;)

3. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Very clever advice! :idea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    DrDrew

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hahaha...good idea. I actually was looking at one of my prof's CV's the other day and under "honor's" he had a bunch of [title of organization]-declined. I didn't really think to use that for myself for the future.

5. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it if has scholarships that you will apply for, it could very well be worth your money. if you're not going to do anything, then no.

however, it saved me almost $500 a year on my car insurance from a special deal they made with Liberty Mutual. That covers all my membership fees right there.

6. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

having done admissions stuff as a 4th yr med student, i can tell you that none of those honorary organizations matter at all except phi beta kappa.