Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How strong is the regional bias for PCOM? In looking at the 2012-2013 thread, folks with good stats were completely ignored by this school.

I was born in PA, lived in the NE for half of my life, SE for the second half and I'd like to get back up there. Nearly all of my extended family lives in PA still. Will this get my app looked at at least?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will try my chances

3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 26 MCAT
Ohio Resident

Does anybody know if PCOM screens an 8 for any section on the MCAT? I've heard conflicting reports.

I noticed that you are from NJ as well. I'd love to go to PCOM as well. I'm hoping other aspects of my application can shine beyond the MCAT though.

Honestly, I think everything is very strong for DO Schools. My GPA is good, and my EC's and LORS should be above average/pretty good. The only thing is that damn MCAT score :/. If it weren't for that meh score, I wouldn't be as apprehensive.

How's it going for you?

Honestly, I think everything is very strong for DO Schools. My GPA is good, and my EC's and LORS should be above average/pretty good. The only thing is that damn MCAT score :/. If it weren't for that meh score, I wouldn't be as apprehensive.

How's it going for you?

I have an OK GPA, it's a little on the lower side, but its still in the ballpark for getting in. I have very good EC's and LoRs from multiple DOs. Just took the MCAT on 5/11, and i'm expecting an "meh" score too. I really don't think I did good on it. Hopefully I did well enough to get in.

Applying here. The rep for this school seems to be super solid so its definitely one I hope will consider me. Good luck to all!

3.54sgpa 3.32cgpa 27 mcat 9/9/9. Let's hope for great news here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a great MCAT score for Do schools (31 [11,10,10] ) my cGPA is 3.55 and sGPA is 3.37. But I am from Utah, with no ties to PA. Should I try applying? I dont want to waste money.

I have a great MCAT score for Do schools (31 [11,10,10] ) my cGPA is 3.55 and sGPA is 3.37. But I am from Utah, with no ties to PA. Should I try applying? I dont want to waste money.

I would if you're applying DO.

Do you guys know if this school takes the composite MCAT score from one test date or the highest total score from multiple test dates?

Do you guys know if this school takes the composite MCAT score from one test date or the highest total score from multiple test dates?

Taken directly from PCOM's website:

"Q. Is it ok to take the MCAT more the once?
A: You may take the MCATs more than once, but MCAT scores are only valid for 3 years from desired matriculation. We will take your highest valid score and look at that break down when we make our evaluation."

http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_FAQs/DoFaqs.html

I have a 3.55 cgpa and a 3.61 sgpa. 26 MCAT (9/7/10) with lots of extracurriculars. You guys think I would have a chance with that 7 in verbal? Also OOS.

My sister went here, so I'm hoping I can follow her footsteps, do you think admissions notice if you have family who went to their school?

My sister went here, so I'm hoping I can follow her footsteps, do you think admissions notice if you have family who went to their school?

I would imagine they would ask you on the secondary, if not i'm pretty sure the primary asks you if you have any family members who are doctors.

So I have a question about the LOR requirement. I noticed that they say a dean's letter is required. Can we bypass this by having a committee packet with an premed adviser letter in it?

So I have a question about the LOR requirement. I noticed that they say a dean's letter is required. Can we bypass this by having a committee packet with an premed adviser letter in it?
PCOM seems very rigid on what is required for this particular letter. Your only bet is to call admissions and talk to them directly. I had to have my registrar's office call PCOM admissions directly to know what to write in my letter specifically as I am non-trad and did not have access to what PCOM wanted.

Hello,

I'm reapplying here with the only real difference being I'm applying earlier with a possibly different personal statement. Last cycle I applied in January and PCOM completely rejected me.
I'm a NJ resident, cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.5, MCAT 29S. Am I competitive?

I was looking around on last year's thread and noticed that this issue came-up quite a bit. I'm applying here this year and contacted PCOM's admissions office and this was their response:

"It can be a letter of recommendation if the writer knows you well or a letter stating you were in good standing and no disciplinary actions while at the college/university if the writer does not know you personally."

I talked to the former dean of the college I graduated from and he had no problem with this. He said he's encountered LOR requests like this before for other grad and professional programs, so its not too uncommon I guess. Just make sure the letter writer states he/she was the dean, department chair, your advisor, whatever, and signs it on official letterhead and you should be golden. On a side note, I tend to be a bit on the shy side and was nervous going in to ask him, especially since my only other encounter with him was for a grade appeal a few years back which did not go well. Luckily I don't think he remembered me at all and was really understanding to the situation. Overall it was super easy and laid back and we ended-up talking for about 20-30 min.

Hello,

I'm reapplying here with the only real difference being I'm applying earlier with a possibly different personal statement. Last cycle I applied in January and PCOM completely rejected me.
I'm a NJ resident, cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.5, MCAT 29S. Am I competitive?

Those stats look competitive. I think PCOM's average MCAT last year was a 28? And your GPA is real solid. Looks like you'll be fine applying early this year.

PCOM has changed their letter requirements. The information should be updated on their website soon but I believe they are going to have other options for the letter other than the dean, advisor etc. It will make applying easier I think.

First time applicant with 3.5cGPA, 3.4sGPA, and 33MCAT (9v/11p/13b)
Texas resident. AACOMAS app submitted 6/4/2013
Good luck to everyone here! Got my fingers crossed. :luck:

3.44 cGPA/3.42 sGPA/31 MCAT

Show me the love PCOM!

Hi everyone,

I would love to have your opinion on this. I will be applying to DO schools next year. I am currently attending a private university. In high school, I have taken college credits from a community school. I have transferred my social science credits, writing credits, and calculus I credit to current university. I am also taking Physics I and II that will be transferred to my school in the fall. However, I had taken Calculus II at that community college my senior year. I didn't plan on taking it but I was already well into the course to withdraw. I have received a C grade in that class. I do not want to transfer this credit and I know the medical school I wish to attend (PCOM) doesn't require Calculus II. However, I know I will have to send my transcript from that community college over. I was wondering if that grade will hinder my chances of getting in? I do not have any grade less than a B in all of my other classes. My GPA currently is a 3.70. I am very conscious of my grades and I had overlooked that grade so now I am very scared that it can hinder my ability to get into PCOM. I have yet to take the MCAT btw.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.

Hello all,

My DO letter will not be a part of my committee packet. How can I send this letter in to all schools?

Regards

Hello all,

My DO letter will not be a part of my committee packet. How can I send this letter in to all schools?

Regards

Are you ashamed of your D.O. letter? ;)

I have a 3.55 cgpa and a 3.61 sgpa. 26 MCAT (9/7/10) with lots of extracurriculars. You guys think I would have a chance with that 7 in verbal? Also OOS.

I just graduated last week from PCOM and match successfully into anesthesia. I have a 3.4 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa when I applied back in 2008. MCAT 32 (V5/PS14/BS13) on my third attempt (first attempt MCAT 25 and second attempt MCAT 23 with verbal score of 3 and 4 respectively) with lots of extracurriculars and OOS from west coast. I believe my poor verbal score is partly due to the fact that english is my second language but i know that's no excuse to scoring low on verbal. However, that's what I choose to give as a reason during my interview at PCOM for my low verbal score and they accepted it.

You will have a good shot if you submit your primary application and LOR early before Sept since PCOM sends out first batch of interview invites near mid Sept and begins first batch of interview near end of Sept. When you receive your secondary, make sure you return them within 1 week. PCOM tends to be less selective for early birds and more selective in granting interviews for those after Christmas season.

PCOM really cares a lot about the overall application rather than just your MCAT score. I personally feels that PCOM will consider you if your overall application is solid even though if you have one little red flag on it. So just apply early and send in all your stuff asap once AACOMAS is available.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you ashamed of your D.O. letter? ;)

No that's the stupidest thing to ask. Sorry. Actually the DO is "lazy" (there is a certain implication here) about starting the letter. My committee packet is already prepped so I don't know how to get this letter in... except maybe to have him send it in himself??

I just graduated last week from PCOM and match successfully into anesthesia. I have a 3.4 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa when I applied back in 2008. MCAT 32 (V5/PS14/BS13) on my third attempt (first attempt MCAT 25 and second attempt MCAT 23 with verbal score of 3 and 4 respectively) with lots of extracurriculars and OOS from west coast. I believe my poor verbal score is partly due to the fact that english is my second language but i know that's no excuse to scoring low on verbal. However, that's what I choose to give as a reason during my interview at PCOM for my low verbal score and they accepted it.

You will have a good shot if you submit your primary application and LOR early before Sept since PCOM sends out first batch of interview invites near mid Sept and begins first batch of interview near end of Sept. When you receive your secondary, make sure you return them within 1 week. PCOM tends to be less selective for early birds and more selective in granting interviews for those after Christmas season.

PCOM really cares a lot about the overall application rather than just your MCAT score. I personally feels that PCOM will consider you if your overall application is solid even though if you have one little red flag on it. So just apply early and send in all your stuff asap once AACOMAS is available.

I hope so PCOM is one of my top choices. My GPAs are above average but my MCAT is below average. I got verified on Friday. My LORS are still being worked on for an overall committee letter. Hoping to send out as early as possible like you mentioned.

No that's the stupidest thing to ask. Sorry. Actually the DO is "lazy" (there is a certain implication here) about starting the letter. My committee packet is already prepped so I don't know how to get this letter in... except maybe to have him send it in himself??

Set up an inter folio and have him send it there then you can send it to whatever schools you want. The DO letter does not need to be in the packet.

Hey congrats man! That's really great. Where did you match? PCOM is one of my top medical schools

just submitted my AACOMAS. will be applying here for next cycle :).

Calm down Fido, I was just kidding. Yeah, you can have him send it separately. If this is the only school you need the letter to go to this is what I would suggest. If you have more D.O. schools you want it sent to than take the following advice from WorldChanger:
Set up an inter folio and have him send it there then you can send it to whatever schools you want. The DO letter does not need to be in the packet.
The only thing I dont know about this is whether it will be considered a "confidential" evaluation if it is an interfolio account that you set up. I know when these letters of evaluation are submitted that committee's like to see that they are submitted confidentially (whether you actually do see the letter or not is not a big issue, its just more professional if it looks like it was written without you seeing it). If there is a way you can set it up so that the letter is considered confidential then great. If not it may not be a big deal, it just depends on the institution.

... The only thing I dont know about this is whether it will be considered a "confidential" evaluation if it is an interfolio account that you set up...

Interfolio letters are submitted confidentially.

Interfolio letters are submitted confidentially.

Cool. I didn't know that. My premed adviser is handling all letters for our premed so I haven't looked into it. I am glad you spoke up to clarify with experience.

Calm down Fido, I was just kidding. Yeah, you can have him send it separately. If this is the only school you need the letter to go to this is what I would suggest. If you have more D.O. schools you want it sent to than take the following advice from WorldChanger:

The only thing I dont know about this is whether it will be considered a "confidential" evaluation if it is an interfolio account that you set up. I know when these letters of evaluation are submitted that committee's like to see that they are submitted confidentially (whether you actually do see the letter or not is not a big issue, its just more professional if it looks like it was written without you seeing it). If there is a way you can set it up so that the letter is considered confidential then great. If not it may not be a big deal, it just depends on the institution.

I'm sorry

I'm sorry

We're cool :cool: I should remember that teasing is a delicate thing that can easily be misunderstood when speaking is not involved. So it's just as much my fault.

Just looked into Interfolio. If I ask the physician to set up the Interfolio I'm not sure how he'll handle it. He "writes" tons and tons of letters... Any body have any ideas?

PCOM has changed their letter requirements. The information should be updated on their website soon but I believe they are going to have other options for the letter other than the dean, advisor etc. It will make applying easier I think.

Any update on this?

I called the office and besides the pre health comm, advisor etc you can now get three letters from faculty members but two have to be from science faculty and on letterhead and they prefer it signed (electronically if necessary). They apparently still prefer the other one but at least there is another option.