Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how long interviews run? I am trying to book my flight and did not want to cut it so close.
 
Does anyone know how long interviews run? I am trying to book my flight and did not want to cut it so close.
Morning interviews are usually over by noon and afternoon over by 4;30 or 5:00 depending on how many are interviewing.
 
Last edited:
Wowww I didn't know they were interviewing that late. Makes me wonder what's happening or why they're still interviewing candidates, since most decisions since February (it seems) have been deferred...
 
March is the last month for interviews. If you're being interviewed 3/30..well, chances are quite slim.
 
What is the difference between delayed decision, deferred, or waitlisted. Delayed decision seems more of a limbo type state than the others? At least with an acceptance and rejection, you have a sense of closure. Waitlisted to me is empty seats offered to others and they are not interested, so if you are lucky, you are considered a "left over". I am also on a delayed decision. Have an acceptance at two others and am thinking, they wanted me from the very beginning. I know others have better stats than I do who were rejected, waitlisted etc. from the same school. The whole system is a crap shoot and after analyzing Student Doctor, it really is a lottery. Even though I am waiting for two delayed decisions coming in and they are my number 1 and number 2 picks, the medical school who wanted me back in September makes me feel better about them. They liked me from the start and offered me a seat immediately. My number three choice might become my number 1. We don't get what we want in life but sometimes the aftermath is better!
 
Sorry to switch things up a bit, but I was wondering if anybody else is going to the accepted students welcome brunch tomorrow? Do you know what type of attire we should wear? Or if anybody else has any type of suggestions? The confirmation email said that further info would be emailed to us as the date got closer, but I didn't receive any additional emails. (maybe it was a technical error or something, but no email in my trash bin either :/).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think they are saving an extra special brunch for us late interviewees :soexcited:
Wishful thinking but I don't think so! lol They are wheeling and dealing to see if they have seats available, who is coming, putting down deposits etc. They want all of their seats filled. Empty seats = lost money. This could go on even into July! Not interviews but seat count. (Just like every other school is doing). Would you want to go through this process again!!!!????? Not I! I thought studying and taking the MCATS was stressful. That was a piece of cake compared to all of this! Some schools are also having "a second look event". Those who are on the fence are invited back to "take a second look". THEN the waitlist, delayed decisions etc will enter into the game. Just so many seats...........................once filled, the game is over for the year! Let's be realistic.............How many seats are going to be vacant and taken from the waitlist? Some but not many.
 
Found this on another osteopathic site. I am betting that the procedure is very common with all of the Medical schools. Goro, where are you?????
  • At the end of March, the admissions committee starts its final review of the alternate list. This review lasts for approximately one month. During this time, each file is reviewed again by a committee member who re-reads every piece of information. This review is holistic and includes approximately 20 different metrics. The final review is discussed by the committee. At the conclusion of these reviews, the alternate list is frozen.
  • Around the middle of April, the Office of Enrollment Management asks applicants on the alternate list to confirm their status on the alternate list. Applicants confirm, withdraw, or do not respond.
  • At the last meeting of the year, the admissions committee votes to pull applicants off the alternate list. Since this meeting does not always happen after May 1, the committee does not know how many seats it will have to offer until all the tuition deposits are received. In addition, there are typically also a handful of outstanding offers that still have time to deposit according to AACOMAS traffic guidelines. Because the committee voted to admit specific applicants, those decisions are honored. Accordingly, the class is constantly in flux until the end of May. Thus, the statement "pulls from all quartiles" was used in the earlier post.
  • All applicants (those who confirm and who did not respond) remain on the alternate list until a final decision is rendered. But, because applicants are given at least two reminders to confirm their alternate list status, priority consideration is given to those who follow instructions. For this reason, we skip over some applicants. Thus, the statement "not necessarily in order" was used in the earlier post.
 
The trend of posts here are getting really negative. I have an late interview at PCOM as well - on the 3/23. I know that I will walk in thinking there's a seat in the class just for me. I hope you will do the same. Best of luck to the both of us.

Thanks you too! I already have 3 acceptances so it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't amount to anything, but I figure they liked something in my application and I am taking the time and expense to explore the campus for myself--so I am definitely taking this opportunity seriously. Good luck to everyone else who has yet to find out.
 
Thanks you too! I already have 3 acceptances so it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't amount to anything, but I figure they liked something in my application and I am taking the time and expense to explore the campus for myself--so I am definitely taking this opportunity seriously. Good luck to everyone else who has yet to find out.

Yes! At the end of the day, at the very least, we tried. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In case anyone is curious, the person I talked to said that if you interviewed late, it doesn't mean there aren't spots left. Not only did they have seats, but even FAFSA deadlines (which was originally due 3/15) are extended for those who are accepted later. He also said that at this time people are on hold (if you have pending grades, if you need to retake the MCAT and they tell you so, etc.), but there is no waitlist at this time, which I thought was interesting.
 
For those still waiting on an interview; I called Admissions Office today and they said they are not interviewing anymore and that they won't be sending notifications until May. 🙁
 
BTW don't throw it away if it's a small envelope. The admissions guy said that even if accepted, the bigger one comes later.
 
BTW don't throw it away if it's a small envelope. The admissions guy said that even if accepted, the bigger one comes later.
True. I almost just set it aside. It's only like 3 pieces of paper - enough for a letter and tech standards.
 
I'm thinking the next round of decisions are coming next week, since historically my mail from Philly mailed out on Friday is here by the following Wednesday
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For people who've gotten merit scholarships, like @DO'19 - what were your stats like? Does anyone know how many/what kind of scholarships go out each year? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Anyone know the chances of acceptance after a delayed decision? I guess it's just up in the air depending how many people give up their seats?
 
Surely someone else from the March dates received a decision today? Cetrav can't be the only one.