Philadelphia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bigchoader

So I am deciding where to apply to schools. I am using life style and location as a major component to my decision making process. What do people know about being a young med student in Philadelphia. I think its a pretty young city, mean age 31 which is a plus. Can anyone elaborate on what is it like to live there? Do people normally suggest living in the downtown area? Is there much accessibility to recreational areas. Any info please.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am deciding where to apply to schools. I am using life style and location as a major component to my decision making process. What do people know about being a young med student in Philadelphia. I think its a pretty young city, mean age 31 which is a plus. Can anyone elaborate on what is it like to live there? Do people normally suggest living in the downtown area? Is there much accessibility to recreational areas. Any info please.

Philly blows. If you want a good city, try NY, Boston, SF, LA, Seattle, etc.

yes i am definately applying to NY Boston Chicago, I think CA schools might be a waste of my application money since I am out of state with 30Q and 3.65 and nothing unbelievablly spectacular in the ECs department. I have been told not to even try. What do you think? Oh yeah, seattle reserves like 90 percent of their seats for students from washington, idaho, alaska, and wyoming. Competition for the remaining 10 percent is fierce I think.

Members don't see this ad :)

Mean age means nothing. In the case of Philadelphia, it can be driven by the fact that 25% of the city is under the age of 18 and the proportion of elderly is at just about the national average. Look at the bigger picture of Philly and other cities

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/42/42101.html

What kind of "recreational areas" do you have in mind?

Most students who didn't go to school or grow up in the area around their med school tend to make friends and socialize with their med school classmates so as you look at schools you might want to get a feel for the demographics of the class and the living situation on campus or for med students (if they do not typically live "on campus").

haha philly doesn't blow...and I am not even from there so it is not like I have hometown pride or anything...to me, it reminded me sort of a blend between boston and New york...it is definately wayy more laid back than new york and actually has greenery and plant life, the night scene is much more of a bar type rather than large clubs...it has a historic feel like boston but I don't think you can beat boston( I love it there) except that is really really freaking cold..philly is a bit warmer...I HATE LA so I would be of the faction that says LA blows hard but I think it is all just a personal choice obviously...

I have heard Portland is a pretty cool town. Oregon Health and Sciences Univ. is up there. No experience to back this up, though... its just next on places I want to visit.

But I have heard good things about Philly. Its proximity to NY and DC give it a few pluses

Yeah LA sucks terribly and since I am currently bored, I figured I would help turn this Philadelphia thread into a Bashing LA thread...

LA=:barf: san fran/Nocal on the hand=:love:

LA is a terrible town... omg please. Philadelphia > LA anyday.

I think Portland and Boston are the two best towns to live in in the US when you are 21-30 just IMO.

Yeah LA sucks terribly and since I am currently bored, I figured I would help turn this Philadelphia thread into a Bashing LA thread...

LA=:barf: san fran/Nocal on the hand=:love:

If it's 70s and sunny every day, I don't see how you could possibly complain.

Trust me, Philly blows. Hard.

Philly is quite a good city for med students. For starters it has 4 med schools (penn, drexel, jefferson, and temple, 5 if you count philadelphia college of osteopathic medicine). It has numerous other colleges and schools in the area. It has a great historic feel to it (more so than boston, which was never, as far as I remember, the capitol of the U.S.), and a very young and vibrant bar scene. Not to mention affordable rent even in the nicest neighboorhoods.

Philly is quite a good city for med students. For starters it has 4 med schools (penn, drexel, jefferson, and temple, 5 if you count philadelphia college of osteopathic medicine). It has numerous other colleges and schools in the area. It has a great historic feel to it (more so than boston, which was never, as far as I remember, the capitol of the U.S.), and a very young and vibrant bar scene. Not to mention affordable rent even in the nicest neighboorhoods.

:laugh: wow you're asking to get flamed

Members don't see this ad :)

I went there recently for the first time and I noticed that compared to Boston and NYC, the part that actually feels like the "city" is very small. But it was still pretty nice. I agree, if Boston and NYC mated, Philly would be its very very small daughter. One problem for me was that every other block is dilapidated and vacant. It's not that encouraging. I hear police presence is too low and I noticed that no one was really walking around after sundown. Many areas are dangerous compared to Boston/NY/LA and it's very easy to inadvertantly walk into those dangerous areas.
It does seem to be convenient to get to "recreational areas", if you mean restaurants and bars. I saw some strip clubs too if that's what you meant. Since a huge bulk of the population is comprised of students anyway, I bet you'll fit right in.

I love Philly. And I'm been a Bostoner since I left Maine. It's like a bigger version of Boston in my opinion. I'm hoping to end up there next year, but Penn is uber slow to respond. Blah. But yeah, def apply to philly schools, and then see how you like it when you visit.

If it's 70s and sunny every day, I don't see how you could possibly complain.

Trust me, Philly blows. Hard.

Hehe I honestly don't have enough experience in philly to comment strongly one way or the other, but I liked it!...Now onto more LA bashing...true the weather is pleasant mostly, but all too often you don't see the lovely sunny days because the city is enveloped in that oh so lovely cloud of smog. You have to drive EVERYWHERE and traffic is 24/7...And for me, somehow nouveau cities like LA, atlanta, houston, dallas, etc. lack a certain je na sais qua and thus I hate all of them :laugh: ... let the LA bashing roll on...

heyyy wait a minute towelie, didn't I see you over in the UPenn decisions thread waiting to hear back? you can't hate philly all that much if you applied to penn! haha..good luck with that because penn is a kickass school and I am sure you will be hearing good news..maybe that's why i liked philly so much, I really only saw Upenn mostly and some cobblestone street with a bunch of bars on it that was really fun

I have to strongly disagree with this statement. Having lived in Philly for 18 years of my life, I have to defend the city. Like every big city though, it has its pros and cons.

Pros:

-Lively young neighborhoods like Manyunk, University City, Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill, and Northern Liberties. These include a lot of fun outings like South Street and Penn's Landing.
-Great arts. With the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Rodin Museum, the U of Penn museum all nearby. The city also has a huge number of murals and you can go on mural tours throughout the area. In addition, for music, Philly has one of the country's best orchestras and a lot of small fun places where big name bands perform. For instance, I once saw Weezer perform in a 50 person theater. Oh, and theater is very strong as well. Philly showcases a lot of off-broadway shows during the year.
-Great history. Walk around independence mall area and you'll see what I mean. Philly served as the birthplace and the first capitol of this country so there's a lot of history and historical buildings associated with it. On any given day, you can see independence hall, the liberty bell, the betsy ross house, the country's first stock exchange, ben franklin's house, the franklin mint, the nation's first hospital, and much more. There's even an old colonial restaurant downtown where all the waiters are in period dress.
-Great eats. Seriously, I could eat my way through Philly. Don't get me started. First, cheesesteaks. Pat's, Geno's, or Jim's (my vote's for Pat's although Geno's claims to be the first). Philly has incredible restaurants from an extremely vibrant Chinatown with every type of Asian and Asian-fusion food imaginable to waiters who sing opera to you in little South Philly Italian restaurants. If you're looking for upscale, the restauranteur, Steven Starr, is the biggest name in town. He owns multiple well-known places in town including Buddakan, Continental, Striped Bass, POD, etc. As for grocers, Reading Terminal Market and the Italian Market always bring fresh quality food (some of it grown locally in Amish country) to your doorstep.
-Great quality of life. Philly is a city on the upswing and so things are getting pricier now, but your money still goes a very long way wherever you are. Plus, you're only a short trip from beautiful rolling hills, Amish farms, and fresh produce. On the other side, you're only an hour from the Jersey shore which has some decent, functional beaches. If you really want, you're a quick train ride away from NYC or DC, but you really have anything you need right there. In addition, Philly has fairmount park, the largest urban park in the world, which straddles both sides of the Schuylkill river and is a GREAT place to bike or run. Philly is fantastic for bikers like myself. There's a bike path that runs all the way from downtown way past Valley Forge in the suburbs. They're working on extending this already pretty long trail even longer as well so it's only going to improve.
-Philly pride. This is the city that brought you Rocky Balboa. There's an intense pride in our city shared by all Philly residents. We realize we're the dirty underdogs as far as people's conceptions of us are concerned (the reality is a bit different) and people always love rooting for the underdog. There's a ton of Philly spirit which explains how our sports teams have such ardent fans.

Cons:
-No great public transportation system. It's easy to get out to the suburbs by rail, but around downtown you really need to walk or drive. A subway exists but it's scary.
-Weather. Considerably milder than Boston, it's no LA.
-Pretty dead downtown. The commercial district and downtown is a little bit dead at night, but people hang out in other neighborhoods instead. Philly's always been known as a patchwork city of neighborhoods
-Rough patches. There are some tough neighborhoods like North Philly or parts of West Philly (although Penn's doing a good job of trying to improve this by investing in local businesses and encouraging professors to live there). Philly is a real city unlike a lot of cities which have been completely gentrified. You do have to be careful where you go but as long as you are street-wise, you should never run into troubles.

I personally love Philly and will sing its praises many times over. Certainly any city has its flaws, but I don't completely understand people who bash it so completely. I guess your choice of a city depends on your alternatives, but I personally think Philly is an awesome place and would happily live there another 18 years if I got the chance.

I personally love Philly and will sing its praises many times over. Certainly any city has its flaws, but I don't completely understand people who bash it so completely. I guess your choice of a city depends on your alternatives, but I personally think Philly is an awesome place and would happily live there another 18 years if I got the chance.

I agree with everything you said, especially the eating. I have been to almost every major city and few compare to the eats in Philly.

I think Philly bashers tend to be one of two types:

- People who are from rival cities, such as Boston, NY, etc, and don't understand the true passion and pride that Philadelphian's have in their city. Either that or they do it out of spite.

-People who have been to Philly for a maximum of one day. Maybe even only on a drive through.

uh whoever said philly blow is a complete nerd. if anything
NY and Boston are worse compared to philly

uh whoever said philly blow is a complete nerd. if anything
NY and Boston are worse compared to philly

Riiiiight.

Philly is the only town where people would actually boo Santa Claus. Nuff said.

do people in school in philly find any time to head over to the ski areas pennsylvania has to offer?

philly is the only city that has heart

1 team
1 city
1 love , brotherly love.

and we boo santa claus because we are rowdy. we have the dont **** with us mentality. Dont come to the Lincl with a cowboys jersey on.....you might just get trown down the 300 level steps. hoho

Riiiiight.

Dude, Philly didn't just boo him, they pelted the poor guy.

Philly sucks. I think someone mentioned public transportation isn't great, and the alternative isn't great eaith. Philly drivers are some of the meanest, most agressive drivers in the history of the car. I kiss the ground everytime I get home safely. This city is like a horrible disease, and it will kill your soul if you live in it for too long.

Philly sucks. I think someone mentioned public transportation isn't great, and the alternative isn't great eaith. Philly drivers are some of the meanest, most agressive drivers in the history of the car. I kiss the ground everytime I get home safely. This city is like a horrible disease, and it will kill your soul if you live in it for too long.

The one's who suck are from Jersey. And if you don't know that you don't know anything about the area. Also, you sound like a terrible driver if you can't handle Philly (no offense).

So i am guessing all those philly-haters will immediately reject a UPenn admissions offer? or do you consider UPenn as a separate entity from philly?

The one's who suck are from Jersey. And if you don't know that you don't know anything about the area. Also, you sound like a terrible driver if you can't handle Philly (no offense).

Dude, say what you want, but your city sucks.

do people in school in philly find any time to head over to the ski areas pennsylvania has to offer?

Well that depends on how much time you have, but yeah it's pretty easy to access the Poconos. They're only an hour away. That said, I'll admit that nowhere on the east coast is really ideal for skiing. Vermont has some nice slopes and the Poconos are decent enough for a day ski but West Coast/Rockies skiing is a different breed of sport.

For the record, his name is Frank Olivo. He's from Philadelphia and to this day thinks it's funny.

At the time, he was 19 years old and wasn't even supposed to run out on the field. There are a lot of circumstances that lead to that event that you probably don't know about. Overall, it's one of the most blown-out-of proportioned events in history - mostly because it's funny.

Well that depends on how much time you have, but yeah it's pretty easy to access the Poconos. They're only an hour away. That said, I'll admit that nowhere on the east coast is really ideal for skiing. Vermont has some nice slopes and the Poconos are decent enough for a day ski but West Coast/Rockies skiing is a different breed of sport.

yeah i know, i went to boulder for a couple years. I know all about it over there, but anything is alot better than nothing at all. I have heard the poconos are fun. I know vermont is really nice. Im looking at portland too cause they have some accessable slopes as well. any other cool schools in Pennsylvania, NH, VT, or anywhere else in the north east where there is accessadecent some slopes. Also, can anyone think of specific schools that have very convenient access to hockey rinks. For example, Boulder has a rink on campus at the rec center. Any schools in north east have anything like that?

Also, can anyone think of specific schools that have very convenient access to hockey rinks.

Yale's rink is across campus (1.2 miles) from the med school. My brothers used to play at lunchtime with a bunch of people from Science Hill (basic science types) including at least one very talented scientist. I'm not sure how many med school people play.

Yale's rink is across campus (1.2 miles) from the med school. My brothers used to play at lunchtime with a bunch of people from Science Hill (basic science types) including at least one very talented scientist. I'm not sure how many med school people play.

i dont think i would get into yale, but cool info thanks.

yeah i know, i went to boulder for a couple years. I know all about it over there, but anything is alot better than nothing at all. I have heard the poconos are fun. I know vermont is really nice. Im looking at portland too cause they have some accessable slopes as well. any other cool schools in Pennsylvania, NH, VT, or anywhere else in the north east where there is accessadecent some slopes. Also, can anyone think of specific schools that have very convenient access to hockey rinks. For example, Boulder has a rink on campus at the rec center. Any schools in north east have anything like that?

Penn's Hockey Rink is ~2.5 blocks from the hospital, 3.5 from the med school.

Having spent the last four years in Philly, I have to say the following:

Most of the pro's people have pointed out I agree with. Great food, lively, young city, great arts and so on.

As far as the cons go, I think people have over emphasized some of them.

The subway system, for instance, isn't actually that bad. It's on the opposite end of the spectrum from DC's Metro w/ regard to cleanliness and it only has one main East-West line and one main North-South line, but it is more than sufficient to get you to most of the fun areas. There is also a fairly extensive train system if you need to get to the suburbs.

Philly people aren't actually that mean, except when you insult anything regional. You can say whatever you want to them, but the moment you make fun of TastyKakes or the way they say wouter-ice, you should be ready to get your face smashed in.

The downtown area actually isn't that dead at night, you just have to know where to go. I definitely think it has been going through a revival as of late, but it still isn't up to snuff compared to a few blocks further east down near 2nd street or a few blocks farther west around Rittenhouse Square.

As far as security goes, you have to take the good with the bad. My senior year at Penn, a girl walked out of house at 2am, 3 blocks from campus center, with multiple friends and still managed to get shot. She wasn't being targeted, she just happened to get caught in cross fire. This was rather a rare instance though, and every other story I have heard of about someone being antagonized, mugged, shot, whatever, came from doing something stupid. In response, Penn upped its already massive police presence to the point that there was a guard within line of site everywhere you went on campus and a few blocks in each direction. The city's universities know that crimes directed at students are a problem and they are trying to deal with it, but this may still be a valid concern. FWIW though, it isn't really a scary thing at all and the people that tend to worry about it the most are the snobby, pretentious kids who think that "that black guy" is out to get them because they have grown up with the idea that everyone else is jealous of them and wants what they have. For the most part though, it isn't an issue. I know kids who have lived in the heart of west philly and been fine; crime against students gets blown out of proportion because it makes good news and convinces parents to shell out more money for security.

Anyway though, definitely check out Philly. I spent my first two years there moping about how it wasn't Georgetown where my sister went, but after I got over that, I found out that it is an awesome city with a lot to offer if you go after it.

For all of the people that bash Philly- that is fine with me. Philly can stay our own secret.;)

So i am guessing all those philly-haters will immediately reject a UPenn admissions offer? or do you consider UPenn as a separate entity from philly?

UPenn considers itself a seperate entity from philly. Heck they only tore down the wall ~20 years ago.

Philly is a great city, but you have to get use to it. It really grows on you after awhile.

Right now the crime is really bad, but with the exception of temple, the schools are in fairly good neighborhoods.

As for the drivers, we have to be crazy, we have those idiots from jersey next store. they'd cause too many accidents if it wasn't for are superior driving skills (hard to write that witha straight face).

Finally we got the worlds best dish in scrapple. Its a dish that bonds everyone in philly.

LA is a terrible town... omg please. Philadelphia > LA anyday.

I think Portland and Boston are the two best towns to live in in the US when you are 21-30 just IMO.

Both you and husky have been smoking major refer!!!!!

Killadelphia is overrated!!!! If you do live here you don't want to live too far north, south, east (over in Camden), or west Yeah there are alot of young people (b/c there are many colleges/universities in the area.

Philadelphia lacks a diversity of options. If you are not into the bar scene you will quickly realize how wack this city really is...and this city is riddled with crime...higher than both Los Angeles and New York.

The only reason why public transportation is even somewhat useful here is b/c the city is so damn small.

I will say, however, that rent is relatively nice. I am living in a studio apt. overlooking the center city skyline (which is small) for approx. $999/month.

UPenn considers itself a seperate entity from philly. Heck they only tore down the wall ~20 years ago.

Philly is a great city, but you have to get use to it. It really grows on you after awhile.

Right now the crime is really bad, but with the exception of temple, the schools are in fairly good neighborhoods.

As for the drivers, we have to be crazy, we have those idiots from jersey next store. they'd cause too many accidents if it wasn't for are superior driving skills (hard to write that witha straight face).

Finally we got the worlds best dish in scrapple. Its a dish that bonds everyone in philly.

Yeah scrapple looks disgusting...And I thought chitterlings were the worst things I would ever see or smell...oh and pretzels are overrated...and people out here on the east coast are too damn moody! Someone is always looking at you like they want to bust a cap in your azz...:p

I'll take my two way roads in Los Angeles any day over these one way, pot hole and bump riddled things the locals call streets....SHOW ME A DAMN BLVD!

And the Chinatown is soooooooo small out here. Where is the Little Tokyo, Koreatown, Little Saigon, the mini Middle East, Ethioptas, etc...

For all of the people that bash Philly- that is fine with me. Philly can stay our own secret.;)

Yeah...secret trash dump where malpractice insurance rates are soaring!!!!

And why has it taken so long for the city govt to pass some kind of smoking ban?...which might I add is selectively enforced by bar owners!

And why do they take a CITY DAMN TAX out of my paycheck in addition to STATE AND FEDERAL?...they take out more city tax than they take out in state.

And why does the city shut down when you get two damn inches of snow?!?!?!?! Plowing is non-existent in this city!

And WATER ICE IS NOTHING BUT A SLURPEE WITHOUT THE CARBONATED WATER!!!!!...although I will say Rita's is pretty good...hahaha

Beware of another possible SEPTA strike...yeah they decided to have one last year and it crippled the city...that's right...no public transportation for 5 days!

This was rather a rare instance though, and every other story I have heard of about someone being antagonized, mugged, shot, whatever, came from doing something stupid. In response, Penn upped its already massive police presence to the point that there was a guard within line of site everywhere you went on campus and a few blocks in each direction.

Yeah...let me add that 3 weeks after that another shooting occurred at the old location of the Philly Diner (across the street from main campus).

Oh yeah...and those guards...hahaha...what a joke...many of them have blatantly told me that if something were to go down they would be the first ones to run from the scene.

Hey that Penn student that killed that Temple student last year was never convicted, right?
Oh what about that crazy Penn Law student that decided to shoot up his neighbor's apartment door (14 times)...yeah, right off campus!

philly is the only city that has heart

1 team
1 city
1 love , brotherly love.

and we boo santa claus because we are rowdy. we have the dont **** with us mentality. Dont come to the Lincl with a cowboys jersey on.....you might just get trown down the 300 level steps. hoho

1 team
1 city
1 love , brotherly love.
hahahahaha more like homicide love!!!!

Wow six anti-philadelphia post within one hour in a row. Somebody must have got their feelings hurt from a phili med school.....

you should apply everywhere. see where you get in, and then choose the city.

Wow six anti-philadelphia post within one hour in a row. Somebody must have got their feelings hurt from a phili med school.....

hahahaha sarcasm predicated on a poor assumption...I pity you!

But I will keep you informed of how my application process progresses for this upcoming cycle...since this will be my first time, do you have any tips...oh whoops I should not have made an assumption either...gee those assumptions sure are pointless...:rolleyes:

Philly rules.

philly has really good restaurants like other people have mentioned such as:

Ralph's (the oldest Family owned Italian Restaurant in the entire country)
Rouge which was voted as having one of the best burgers in the country
Le Bec Fin
Buddakan
Morimoto

Philly is good because it ISN'T Boston or NYC. Rent in Philly is affordable unlike the arm and leg you have to pay for a room you can barely move in in Boston or NYC. The cost of living is definitely less in Philly than NYC, Boston, and DC.

LOL Philly drivers are waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better drivers than NYC, Boston, or DC drivers. It is much easier driving in Philly than those other cities (and yes I have driven plenty in each city).

Nightlife is good in Philly. I really don't know what others are complaining about. Of course Philly is a "bar scene" what is the the alternative? A laughable "club scene" where everyone is so high off of coke and X like in NY??

Hands down Philly has every city beat on the east coast beat in terms of location.

NY, DC, Atlantic City, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and even Boston can all be reached in a day trip. NYC and Boston also don't have any beaches close by in the summer. If you live in Philly the great beaches in NJ, DE, and MD are all only about 2-3 hours away.

If you are a history buff, Philly has tons of history in itself. PA alone has enough history to fill entire textbooks.

PA is a great state to live in, it has so much to offer. There are many many small towns and smaller cities that are close to Philly and that are great to visit like the small old coal mining towns in the middle of PA. Amish country is also a cool place to go.

If shopping is your thing then King of Prussia Mall (KOP), the 2nd largest mall in America, is easily accessible by public transportation. If you need to spend a lot on something, like a computer, DE is also very close and you can save 100's of dollars since DE has no sales tax.

Philly is also great because it has so many young people. Last time I read, Philly has the 2nd largest concentration of college aged students on the east coast with over 100,000 in the city and over 300,000 in the metropolitan area.

oh and no matter what anyone tells you, Philly is home to the greatest sports franchises in the country. People actually give a crap about their teams in Philly, they don't jump on the bandwagon only when they win championships. LOL the lowly Flyers this year still have good attendance this year even for being how pitiful they are.

Riiiiight.

Hell yes. Like was previously said, Philly is a unique place with a spirit all its own. I lived there for two years in 6-7 different apartments all through Center City, University City, South, and Southwest.

Absolutely loved it.