Philly - where free parking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nataliemay24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I'm slowly moving into my 12th street apartment over the summer. (I'm starting at Jefferson in August.) When I was looking for apartments, I noticed that an area close to south street had free on-street parking. I'd like to stay a couple days without paying $20/day to park my car, so I'm looking for help on where to park. Can anyone give me specifics about which streets have on-street free parking that are within walking distance of my apt., which is on 12th b/w spruce and pine? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is unrelated but can you pm me what your paying in rent. Thanks.

hmm, I am paying $1350.

Can anyone actually help me? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I know its been almost a month, so I'm not sure this will still be usefull.....

but I currently live in Center City near where you will be living. There is very very little free parking anywhere in the vicinity, and the other problem is that the free parking is posted for only 2 or 4 hours at a time. And the meter maids watch it like crazy so you cant acually park there for very long.

Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck!

(This is not any help at all either, sorry.)

This sounds like a bad reason, and it might be, but the parking situation in philly is a major reason I turned down an acceptance there. Walking through center city to get some cheesesteak, I realized that nearly every street was 1-way with very little room to drive let alone park, and every car was like inches away from the next. I would have sold my car for sure.

Hi - I'm slowly moving into my 12th street apartment over the summer. (I'm starting at Jefferson in August.) When I was looking for apartments, I noticed that an area close to south street had free on-street parking. I'd like to stay a couple days without paying $20/day to park my car, so I'm looking for help on where to park. Can anyone give me specifics about which streets have on-street free parking that are within walking distance of my apt., which is on 12th b/w spruce and pine? Thanks!

There is free parking south of South street in your area. I'm pretty sure bainbridge is free and there is generally a couple of spots open even during the bad parking times. Once you actually move in to your apartment you can go get a city parking pass for 30 dollars/year and park in your zone. I live a block from you and our zone is zone 4. It goes from about 10th street to just before broad and from locust down to lombard. PM me if you need any more help, I'm starting at Jeff in Aug as well.

(This is not any help at all either, sorry.)

This sounds like a bad reason, and it might be, but the parking situation in philly is a major reason I turned down an acceptance there. Walking through center city to get some cheesesteak, I realized that nearly every street was 1-way with very little room to drive let alone park, and every car was like inches away from the next. I would have sold my car for sure.

Most big east coast cities are this way. Philly has plenty of areas that are more surbaban like if you dont like that downtown feel. The parking there is much better and driving or public transportation to get downtown or to the other hospitals isnt bad.

Manayunk, Roxborough, East Falls, City Ave (bala cynwyd), Northern liberties are some of those areas that tend to have better parking availability.
Also the art museum area tends to not be too bad either and some of the appt complexes have off street parking

So try not to count philly out just because you think you cant have a car and go to school here. :)

There is free parking south of South street in your area. I'm pretty sure bainbridge is free and there is generally a couple of spots open even during the bad parking times. Once you actually move in to your apartment you can go get a city parking pass for 30 dollars/year and park in your zone. I live a block from you and our zone is zone 4. It goes from about 10th street to just before broad and from locust down to lombard. PM me if you need any more help, I'm starting at Jeff in Aug as well.

You can't just move in and get this, though. You have to register your car to your apartment in Philly (which would screw up your car insurance if you're still under your parents' plan)

You can't just move in and get this, though. You have to register your car to your apartment in Philly (which would screw up your car insurance if you're still under your parents' plan)

Sure, but if you want to park in the city and don't live near the few free parking areas (they are not very close to Jeff) then it will probably cost you less to switch your insurance and get the city pass than to pay 150+ a month for a garage spot. Or you could be like me and haven't been on your parents insurance for years so you CAN just move in a get it. Just need the lease.

Also, most insurance companies demand that you tell them if your primary driving area is changing to a city like Phlly and to stay on your parents without telling them could get you in trouble if you end up actually needing to use the insurance.