Phlegm in the morning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone ever constantly wake up in the morning with a bit of a cough and like phlegm in your throat? Like, it's there in the morning but once you cough it out it just goes away. It's really weird. I wonder if it's an allergy or something.

Members don't see this ad.

I do, and I chalk it up to a combination of (1) dust allergy, (2) a need for the ceiling fan to be on at night, and (3) sleeping with my mouth open because the dust stirred up from the ceiling fan has made me congested.

could be from post-nasal drip. very common for those with sinus allergies which I often get. it's very useful when you call-in sick at work in the morning as you have that "sick" sounding voice :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like emphysema to me! ;)

UCLAstudent said:
Sounds like emphysema to me! ;)

...or E.D.

Maybe try a saline sinus rinse before bed. They're awesome and they'll end an allergy attack immediately.

Pewl said:
Does anyone ever constantly wake up in the morning with a bit of a cough and like phlegm in your throat? Like, it's there in the morning but once you cough it out it just goes away. It's really weird. I wonder if it's an allergy or something.

It's pretty normal, in fact I have had patients I was seeing in the morning who had "bilateral crackles" or something in my physical exam, and the resident told me I should ask the patient to cough before examining them to clear out that morning phlegm. :rolleyes:

I actually don't have the problem. It's a friend of mine, and he's like "Darnit aren't you a doctor yet or something? What's wrong with me!" I just wish I had some answers.

Heh

i've had it every damn morning now for like the last 6 months it seems.

i figure i'm allergic to the cats. it's a very thick sputum that doesn't clear immediately though. it takes like a good hour of clearing my throat and coughing before i feel normal again.

i hope i'm not dying :confused:

I'm in the same bloody boat...I have to clear my throat with annoying frequency and it sometimes makes my voice sound ike I'm hitting puberty again. Not good. I was thinking that it had something to do with a mold prob we had in our apartment AC. It seems as though things got a little better after the apartment management finally hired someone to celar it up.

browniegirl86 said:
I do, and I chalk it up to a combination of (1) dust allergy, (2) a need for the ceiling fan to be on at night, and (3) sleeping with my mouth open because the dust stirred up from the ceiling fan has made me congested.

Besides allergy, there is also smog and smoking. If the person is a smoker, might be a good way for you to remind them that that is a bad thing.

Hard24Get said:
Besides allergy, there is also smog and smoking. If the person is a smoker, might be a good way for you to remind them that that is a bad thing.

The person's not a smoker, though he does live in LA so could smog be a factor? I'm thinking something environmental like something inside the apartment or something coming from the window outside.

Hi Guys,
I am going to remind you all that practicine medicine without a license is illegal in this country. Giving out medical advice falls in the same category so I am closing this thread.

njbmd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.