Phoenix from the flames?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briant

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a med school now and want to go to another and start as a first year. Anyone know what's up with that? I.e., how hard etc.

Members don't see this ad.

WHY would you want to start all over? First of all, I think the extra time committment and wasted money would make it not worth it. Also, you are already accepted...why would you want to take up a first year spot for someone who has not yet been accepted? I'm sorry, but as someone who is trying to get into medical school, that kinda bugs me.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Which medical school are you currently attending? Which medical school are you interested in applying to? Why do you want to change schools? Many medical schools frown upon students leaving a LCME accredited school. If you have a legitimate reason to go to the new medical school (ie. spouse and kids established in a different part of the country, or dependent family members, like ailing parents), then you can probably try to transfer rather than doing AMCAS all over again. If you're insistant on doing first year over again, then I imagine that it'll be very difficult because many schools will be worried that you will leave them just as you left your current school. If you absolutely hate your current medical school and give that as your reason, then that's a poor reason too because what if you end up hating the new medical school? Again, they won't look favorably upon that reason.

I attended St George's in Grenada for two and a half years, and tried to transfer to a US school every year that I was there. I really want to pursue a surgical specialty and that was my reason to leave St Georges' since they have a poor track record of getting matches into competitive residency programs in the surgical subspecialties (like neurosurgery). So I redid AMCAS and got in to a US school with a history of producing matches into neurosurgery as well as general surgery. When asked why I am willing to "do it all over again", I tell them about my passion for surgery and that pretty much convinces them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should mention that St George's actively encourages students to try their best to transfer into US schools because they take it as a compliment when one of their students gains admissions into an US medical school. I had the full support of the administration as well as the dean of basic sciences. They produced class ranking information as well as letters of recommendations written specifically for the US medical schools. I have the impression that many medical schools do not encourage students to leave their schools, so SGU is a bit different in that respect.

I don't want to say where I go or where I want to for personal/privacy reasons. I am interested in going to a school closer to my home. I also do not believe the school I currently attend is giving me the best chance at a good residency program (not because of reputation but because of the actual quality of education).

[This message has been edited by briant (edited 05-17-2000).]

Carbon,

Have you already taken step 1 then? Did you do really well on it? I'm not sure if you can retake step 1 after you pass it. And if so, that score will also obviously have a large effect on neurosurgery placement.

I think your chances to start over are slim to none. Any school would look at your application and ask themselves why do you want to do it.

Wanting to be closer to home is not a good reason as you knew when you accepted your current school's offer where it was located.

As for the "quality of education" enabling you to go into the residency you want, it doesn't get you any brownie points to put down one program while interview for another. You knew where most of the students at you current school rotated or, at least, you should have known before accepting a seat there. Additionally, where you end up for your residency depends, to a great extent, on your own performance in med school, no matter which school you attend.

I contacted people at other schools and they told me they would accept the app. (I should have sooner and recommend that others go to the horse's mouth) I will probably have to answer some questions, but there is a chance (my reasons are probably legit but I don't what to get specific).

I have come to realize (brilliant huh) that advice on these boards tends to be some pre-meds' shots in the dark with no connection to reality. I should have known it is probably not too bright to expect good advice when you cannot or will not provide full disclosure.

To curious cat,

I took Step 1 in 98 and did very well. But good grades and board scores are a dime a dozen with neurosurgery residency applicants.

To Briant,

That's great that your application will be considered. Best of luck to you!

briant,

Uh, most of the people replying above are current med students. Be careful about attempting to transfer. If it is unsuccessful, your current school will likely remember your evident dissatisfaction.

Carbon,

Did you discuss with your new school whether or not you will have to retake step 1? I thought once you pass that test you will not be allowed to retake it simply to get a better score. Would you want to take it anyway if you could, since you already did very well?

You're absolutely right, once you've taken Step 1, you may not retake it....unless 7 years have elapsed and you have not completed all 3 steps.

The schools at which I interviewed were well aware of my USMLE score. I mentioned this fact on my secondaries and it was even brought up during the interviews. I think it was viewed favorably. I will not have to retake Step 1 until the 7 years have elapsed.

Well!? We're all dying to know. What happened Carbon? Where are you now? What year are you there? How's it going "all over again"? Are you smoking the first-time freshmen? Good luck, i admire your determination.

Carp