Phone in for diabetes supply

Started by vinapharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vinapharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I have a question. A patient has medicare ( a, b, d) and she was diagnosed with dm 2 by her primary m.d like a years ago. Today she came into the pharmacy and trying to buy lancets, strips because she is running out of them. She doesn't have a profile with my pharmacy so i decided to call her doc for the supply Rx. Question is does medicare allow phone in Rx for diabetes supply or the doc need an original rx for the supply ? I thought i saved patient some $ but now i start to panick that i might just committed some medicare fraud.
🙁
 
Hi guys,
I have a question. A patient has medicare ( a, b, d) and she was diagnosed with dm 2 by her primary m.d like a years ago. Today she came into the pharmacy and trying to buy lancets, strips because she is running out of them. She doesn't have a profile with my pharmacy so i decided to call her doc for the supply Rx. Question is does medicare allow phone in Rx for diabetes supply or the doc need an original rx for the supply ? I thought i saved patient some $ but now i start to panick that i might just committed some medicare fraud.
🙁
Part B: Verbal Orders NOT permitted
Part D: Permitted
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...technically, I think it's...
Part C: Permitted
Part D: Not covered

Not so, any Medicare Advantage Plan is a PDP and since it replaces Medicare entirely, it is required to cover test strips. Also, Medicare Welfare plans also cover testing supplies. So while you call it Part C and are technically correct, everybody looks at as a PDP.
 
...technically, I think it's...
Part C: Permitted
Part D: Not covered

Not so, any Medicare Advantage Plan is a PDP and since it replaces Medicare entirely, it is required to cover test strips. Also, Medicare Welfare plans also cover testing supplies. So while you call it Part C and are technically correct, everybody looks at as a PDP.

I admitted it was a technicality.
 
"You can always pay cash" - go-to excuse when prescriber's offices don't comply with Part B billing requirements, or anything else related to reimbursement.