phone interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiley1

Columbia DPT-2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if it is common for PT schools to allow phone interviews? I'm applying/applied to SUNY Downstate, NYU, Columbia, Hunter, and Touro in NY but I live in Chicago. I already gotten an email from Columbia saying to save the dates on Jan 16 and 17 for interviews but I'll have started my semester already and won't be able to go.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey smiley1,

I actually do not know if it is typical for schools to give out phone interviews, but I have one on Thursday, Nov 20th for Azusa Pacific University. I don't really know what to expect. Does anyone have any ideas???

I would say, for the most part, phone interviews are out of the question. Siley1, I was in your shoes--I applied all over the country but nowhere near where I was living.

Go and talk to your professors that you will be taking next semester before this semester even ends. Let them know that you will have multiple interviews that will require you to miss class on several occasions (explaining to them it is for advanced education--they will most likely be ok with that and help you accomodate).

Besides, your interviews are going to be in the beginning of the semester ( nobody really learns anything in undergrad until first test/midterm anyway) and your interviews will fall on a Thursday or Friday (there may be some exceptions), so you are only likely to miss at most one class period for all of your classes per week when you are out of town.

As for the cost of treking yourself all over...no advice I can give can help you there. It adds up--believe me. But, I would rather see the school where I would potentially be going before I made my decision about it.

Hi, I actually got into PT school with a phone interview. I was going to college in Chicago and didn't wanna travel to NY for an interview. So the school scheduled a phone interview with the director. It was pretty laidback..lasted about 1 hr or so. If you guys have more question, visit my blog at http://editedtales.blogspot.com/ , I recently started a PT section on there. Leave a comment with your email or PM me.