Photo From The Left Seat Of A King Air

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The maintainers release those areas to remove the engines and work on them. They hinge downward and outward.

The "turkey feathers" area where the exhaust exits is made of some sort of space-age material. You could shut the motors down once we parked, run to the back of the jet, and put your hand on the exhaust "pipes" and it would be "as cool as the other side of the pillow." Pretty amazing heat dissipating capabilities...it gets hot back there....about 300 degrees C...hotter when we light the blowers.

Many pre-anesthesia lifetimes ago, I was a line officer at Kelly AFB in the 1980s, when they still did the major overhauls of the C-5s and B-52s there. LOUD !! My office was just across the street from the ramp.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Jet, your last avatar was way more intimidating!:laugh:

Many pre-anesthesia lifetimes ago, I was a line officer at Kelly AFB in the 1980s, when they still did the major overhauls of the C-5s and B-52s there. LOUD !! My office was just across the street from the ramp.

Wow...you're old!:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow...you're old!:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Your ahem, clear throat, cough, gentle comment is greatly appreciated: p

Actually I hit the big 5-0 in a few weeks. My loving wife's present to me is arranging a baseline screening colonoscopy. Talk about. One perk of being affiliated with the Marines (4th Med Btn, surgical co A) through the Navy reserve is having to maintain USMC physical fitness standards. I can still do 3 miles in under 25 minutes.

And this (no, not the c-scope, but my age) was a huge factor in my very difficult decision this past spring to ultimately give up the med school acceptance, starting last week. I still occasionally have pangs of regret, but all in all I think I made the right decision. And thanks to all the PMs I received from various members of this astute group who helped me with my difficult decision. After climbing the steep acceptance hill (after thinking about it for so long) and actually getting an acceptance it was difficult to let go.

Cimbing a 12800ft peak

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 131
Cimbing a 12800ft peak

UHHHHHHHH, Noy,

I hope you've got a parachute on.....

Wanna know something funny????

I'm scared of heights....as was my 747-flying-father......if I'm walking down an outside hallway on the tenth floor of a condo I walk nearer to the wall than the rail.....

funny that I worked for the fire department for a few years right after high school (1983-1985) and all the crazy stuff we did (rappelling down the side of buildings, climbing up an 85' snorkel-truck to the bucket, etc) didnt bother me then. I'll bet it would bother me now.

Looking below from a cockpit doesnt bother me in the least, though.

Interesting.

Point being you aint gonna find any Jet-Copenhagen-spit on the side of a 12,500' mountain.

Unless I pull a CFIT (controlled flight into terrain). :scared:

Cimbing a 12800ft peak
Very nice....one of my friends is going to teach me to climb while we're in Nepal next summer. I'm not sure yet if I like this idea or not (the climbing thing, not the Nepal trip).

BTW, if any of you know of used medical equipment (pulse ox, EKG/Defibs, vents, etc) or any form of supplies (from laryngoscopes to ET tubes, LMA's, BVM's, etc) that could be donated to the hospital we are going to in Nepal, please PM me. Thanks in advance!

Unless I pull a CFIT (controlled flight into terrain).

Ah, you've got to love euphemisms for "flying into a mountain". :smuggrin:

"That's strange....what is a mountain goat doing up in this cloud bank?"

I'm getting a "Fam Flight" in a Viper on Monday. A little egress training in the a.m., over to the life support shack for all the gear (more girth = larger g-suit), and then start briefing up the mission. I'll be strappin' on the jet around 1300. I'll let you know how the Viper stacks up against the Strike Eagle.:thumbup: :p

Recent view of mine from passenger seat on my way to Whistler for some downhill Mountain Biking.

It's mount Hood with McKinley in the background.

I'd double check your geopraphy. Hood is Oregon, McKinley is in Alaska. Not McKinley in the background. Probably Mt. Rainier, St. Helens, or Mt Adams.

I'm getting a "Fam Flight" in a Viper on Monday. A little egress training in the a.m., over to the life support shack for all the gear (more girth = larger g-suit), and then start briefing up the mission. I'll be strappin' on the jet around 1300. I'll let you know how the Viper stacks up against the Strike Eagle.:thumbup: :p

Which jet is the Viper, Heed?

Its Thursday now.

How was the flight?

Members don't see this ad :)
Which jet is the Viper, Heed?

Its Thursday now.

How was the flight?

Trinity is correct...Viper =F-16

I spoke with someone from the squadrom on the phone today...looks like we'll be doing F-16 vs. F-15 BFM/ACM. A little dogfighting!!! The flight is this coming Monday, JPP. We always said dogfighiting the Viper within visual range is like having a knife fight in a phone booth. It'll be fun to see things from the high g, quick turning perspective instead of the I-already-shot-you-down-2 minutes ago, slow-turning-pig perspective. It'll be rough stepping into a BFM flight after not flying for so long....but so worth it!

My incentive flight paperwork got hung up by the Ops Group commander...he didn't want to let a former aviator fly...guess he thinks I'm motivated enough and don't need any more flight time. The LTCOL in the flight surgery office went to bat for me and after I hand-carryied all the paperwork around, I'm back on the flight schedule for tomorrow! Woo hoo!:D

My incentive flight paperwork got hung up by the Ops Group commander...he didn't want to let a former aviator fly...guess he thinks I'm motivated enough and don't need any more flight time. The LTCOL in the flight surgery office went to bat for me and after I hand-carryied all the paperwork around, I'm back on the flight schedule for tomorrow! Woo hoo!:D

Do you guys do "crazy" things like this dude at the French air-force?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ9zXfvDUWY&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFGy_qW7ljE&mode=related&search=

Why is he flying soooo damn low.....trying to show off, maybe?

Recent view of mine from passenger seat on my way to Whistler for some downhill Mountain Biking.

ermmm. Hate to butt in. That's a gorgeous picture. But Mt McKinley is in Alaska. Hood is in Oregon. (I live about 10 mins from Timberline Lodge) I'm pretty sure that's Mt Rainier in the background ;)

Sunrise view of 'Hood from Welches, and Mom circa 78 with Dad's AH-1

Attachments

• sunrise.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 68
  • mom and the gunship.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 73
It sure was nice being supersonic again! I've missed it. The flight was great. I flew with a classmate of mine from the Academy. It was supposed to be 2 v 2 but our wingman broke before we took off...so it was us (F16) vs. F15C and F15E. The cockpit is tight. There's not much room to move around at all. We did our g warm-up exercises (180 degree turn with 4-6 g's then another 180 degree turn with 5-7 g's) and it all felt like I was pulling 9 g's! It takes a while to get into good flying shape. The acceleration of the Viper is impressive. Lots of thrust + low weight = quick. We did a lot of dogfighting and had a great time. I flew in formation on the way home for about 20 minutes. It's different having the sidestick of the 16 vs the 15. The Vipers controls are VERY touchy...just a little pressure on the stick and the jet responds. If I had a camera, I could have taken an award-winning shot of the two 15's against a Florida sunset...it was awesome. It will just have to live in my memory bank...like so many other flying experiences.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds---and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of---wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

It sure was nice being supersonic again! I've missed it. The flight was great. I flew with a classmate of mine from the Academy. It was supposed to be 2 v 2 but our wingman broke before we took off...so it was us (F16) vs. F15C and F15E. "

Something tells me you've already started pimping for your F-22 ride.

It sure was nice being supersonic again! I've missed it. The flight was great. I flew with a classmate of mine from the Academy. It was supposed to be 2 v 2 but our wingman broke before we took off...so it was us (F16) vs. F15C and F15E. The cockpit is tight. There's not much room to move around at all. We did our g warm-up exercises (180 degree turn with 4-6 g's then another 180 degree turn with 5-7 g's) and it all felt like I was pulling 9 g's! It takes a while to get into good flying shape. The acceleration of the Viper is impressive. Lots of thrust + low weight = quick. We did a lot of dogfighting and had a great time. I flew in formation on the way home for about 20 minutes. It's different having the sidestick of the 16 vs the 15. The Vipers controls are VERY touchy...just a little pressure on the stick and the jet responds. If I had a camera, I could have taken an award-winning shot of the two 15's against a Florida sunset...it was awesome. It will just have to live in my memory bank...like so many other flying experiences.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds---and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of---wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
Where never lark, or even eagle flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Awesome, Heed.

Awesome. :thumbup:

That is the north face of Hood, which would make the next mountain Mt. Jefferson. I love flying into Portland or Seattle on a clear winter day. The mountains are amazing from the air.