Physiatrist Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apologies if this has been answered before (I tried looking it up but found nothing recent):

Does anyone have an idea of salaries for the V.A.? I am aware of some basics around their salary structure (the way I think of it: Gen Med primary care = tier 1 salary (lowest), PM&R = tier 2, Anesthesia = tier 3) but I was hoping someone could provide more details and/or correct me if I am wrong.

Specifically I am curious about how interventional fellowship training could increase income at the V.A. (either sports/spine or NASS ISMM or ACGME pain / sports etc). I understand that technically, even having done the same ACGME pain med fellowship training as our Anesthesia counterparts, PM&R as a speciality is tiered lower than Anesthesiology and thus our base salary will not be as high as Anesthesia even having completed the same pain fellowship (does that sound right?)

I know the extra benefits and pension are great, but I was also hoping to learn more about opportunities for bonus pay (productivity based?) if that exists.

Thanks for your time. Responses very much appreciated!

I have a number of classmates/colleagues who did Anesthesia based Pain fellowships who were PM&R residency trained. The VA does not pay that much in terms of Pain in general, and for PM&R it's lower. There is no productivity based bonus per se, although every so often there seems to be an increase in salary. If my understanding is correct I believe they have done away with pensions for new docs starting at the VA. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Pain pay is sub-300 in the VA generally speaking from what I understand. As time progresses it can go up but nowhere near what private practice pays. then again it has its perks - much less patients to see, more protection, lots of holidays, relaxed schedule, etc. So have to figure out what's more important to you. I personally decided that doing pain was not worth it ultimately. Saw too many bad things from highly good and highly experienced people in fellowship and decided it wasn't worth the headache. Pain salaries have also gone down so it doesn't pay what it used to.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Any pay difference in private practice Between NASS trained vs ACGME trained PM&R docs?

Any pay difference in private practice Between NASS trained vs ACGME trained PM&R docs?
In my experience no ... private practice just wants you to be able to do the procedures needed and see patients. Then at a certain point you transition to "eat what you kill" and its on you to make your pay.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any data published on recent salary figures in PM&R?

Reactions: 1 user
im curious what the average per RVU is for those of us working off that.