Physical Chemistry or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peachbread

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I looked around the forums and found a couple threads with really great information regarding the status of taking Physical Chemistry to fulfill the chemistry requirement. I am, however, in a really weird spot and would like some advice.

Little notes:
1) I received AP credit for General Chemistry I and Lab I.
2) Two classes above show up on my transcript with grade "X" (transfer credit).

Why I need to take Physical Chemistry I: My state school is UVM, which doesn't accept AP credit (rip me), but does allow substitution with Physical Chemistry I.

Background notes:
1) I am a 4th year math major (economics + chemistry minors).
2) I got A's in all of my math courses (I am only missing Numerical Analysis, Real Analysis I, and 1 math elective; and I get my BS).
3) My entire chemistry minor consists of organic chemistry and organic chemistry electives, including graduate-level courses (so I have literally no experience in any other fields of chemistry).

I think I can be confident in being able to handle the theories, derivations, and proofs in PChem I. What I am concerned about, however, is that I took the algebra-based physics sequence. I got A's in my physics classes by grinding practice problems for hours until I pass out. My school lists the calculus-based physics (part I) as a prerequisite, which worries me, because I feel like I don't have the necessary physics background to do well in PChem I.

Questions of the Day: Should I just bite the bullet and take PChem I or "retake" the general chemistry class? Are there any concerns that I may not get at least a B?

Thank you! I apologize if this thread may seem like a repeat.

Members don't see this ad.

PChem is just math and chem. You're doing well in math. You have a good grasp of chem.

You should do fine if not better than the other people in the class provided you have a thorough understanding of the underlying physics. I'm sure in algebra-based physics you had a couple of "hmmm these two equations look like the derivative/antiderivative of one another" moments so you're probably fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree w/ @freak7 - p-chem I is quite doable with your math background.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, it sounds like it's doable for you.
On the other hand - why torture yourself unnecessarily? Gen Chem would be an easy GPA boost in your senior year, as opposed to PChem, which is a beast, even if you don't have trouble with the math or the physics, and totally unnecessary for med school.

Personal experience - I understood all the concepts going in and was not at all shabby at math. Was happy to walk away with a B at the end of the semester. YMMV.

Sure, it sounds like it's doable for you.
On the other hand - why torture yourself unnecessarily? Gen Chem would be an easy GPA boost in your senior year, as opposed to PChem, which is a beast, even if you don't have trouble with the math or the physics, and totally unnecessary for med school.

Personal experience - I understood all the concepts going in and was not at all shabby at math. Was happy to walk away with a B at the end of the semester. YMMV.
It's possible that gen chem is a weeder class at OP's school and may be unnecessarily difficult.

It's possible that gen chem is a weeder class at OP's school and may be unnecessarily difficult.
Sure it's possible, but as a senior math major/chem minor, s/he shouldn't have any issue with that.
The 'weeding' that happens in those sorts of classes is mostly of the inept or misguided students (i.e. those who truly can't hack it, or the ones who realize that they actually don't care about the subject and/or school).

If OP has the grades s/he says in the classes s/he specifies, then gen chem should be a cake walk.
Pchem is never a cake walk, for anybody.

@freak7
Yes! Thank you! Although to what degree of "thorough understanding" I have of physics is questionable for me, since I'm not particularly fond of the subject.

@eteshoe
Thank you!

@kraskadva
Wouldn't taking GChem again be considered a "retake", ergo looked dis-favorably upon? My school would be labeling that as a "retake" on the transcript (I have yet to get a firm response on this, but based on what my classmates have said, this seems to be true). This didn't happen with my AP Bio credit only because after a bunch of paperwork had it marked as "declined", so Bio I and II don't show up as a "retake" on my transcript. I do not believe this option is still available to me as a 4th year with a chemistry minor completed. I'm getting a flashback to first year GChem II when I wrote 20-page papers for the lab reports and had to be told to stop, haha.

You do have a solid mathematics background, but it sounds like you struggled a little in physics. That might be a minute detail to some, but to me, it points to something deeper. Is it because it's difficult for you to apply your math to physical systems? Or because you weren't that interested in the confined realm of math that physics actually uses? Because these could lead to problems in PChem, where you will be required to apply your mathematical background to solve problems in physical/chemical realms. So it's really essential that you can do that. If you can, then I wouldn't sweat the fact that you didn't take calc-based physics. You already know enough calculus to do well -you'll just need to be able to apply that calculus to physical systems (understanding that acceleration isn't always a constant quantity, for instance, and may be constantly changing).

@freak7
Yes! Thank you! Although to what degree of "thorough understanding" I have of physics is questionable for me, since I'm not particularly fond of the subject.

@eteshoe
Thank you!

@kraskadva
Wouldn't taking GChem again be considered a "retake", ergo looked dis-favorably upon? My school would be labeling that as a "retake" on the transcript (I have yet to get a firm response on this, but based on what my classmates have said, this seems to be true). This didn't happen with my AP Bio credit only because after a bunch of paperwork had it marked as "declined", so Bio I and II don't show up as a "retake" on my transcript. I do not believe this option is still available to me as a 4th year with a chemistry minor completed. I'm getting a flashback to first year GChem II when I wrote 20-page papers for the lab reports and had to be told to stop, haha.
I have no idea how your school would list it on your transcript. However, what I can tell you is that when you go to enter your courses in AMCAS, there is a little checkbox where you can mark the AP courses as AP, so you can note that you took them in HS even though they appear on your college transcript. Then, what ever designation your school puts on the transcript, it is clearly not actually a retake (i.e. a class you bombed and then had to do over), and so no one will bat an eye at it.

The reason retakes are discouraged is because of a bad initial grade, which doesn't go away. Whereas this is not the case for you. So don't worry about that aspect of it. Also, a large number of med schools do not accept APs for pre-reqs, or only accept them if your school does - and lists the grade on their transcript, so it would probably be a good idea for you to get that one logged in anyway.

And yeah, if that was your Gen Chem experience 3+ years ago, then Gen Chem I will be a super easy A for you.

Last edited:
Order of chem difficulty:

Gen Chem >> Analytical Chem >> Organic Chem >>>>>>>>> PChem

• PChem is by far the most difficult, and even if you are proficient in advanced math you will have a greater probability of getting an A in Analytical Chem. If your uni offers that series - I'd recommend it.

You do have a solid mathematics background, but it sounds like you struggled a little in physics. That might be a minute detail to some, but to me, it points to something deeper. Is it because it's difficult for you to apply your math to physical systems? Or because you weren't that interested in the confined realm of math that physics actually uses? Because these could lead to problems in PChem, where you will be required to apply your mathematical background to solve problems in physical/chemical realms. So it's really essential that you can do that. If you can, then I wouldn't sweat the fact that you didn't take calc-based physics. You already know enough calculus to do well -you'll just need to be able to apply that calculus to physical systems (understanding that acceleration isn't always a constant quantity, for instance, and may be constantly changing).

To be honest, I don't know why exactly I struggled in physics. Applying math concepts isn't an issue, or even if it was, it shouldn't be now after all these years (I took physics as a freshmen). I think I just had a hard time understanding the actual concepts. For example:
Textbook: Fluid accelerates when the area of the pipe is reduced.
Me: Why?
Textbook: A1v1=A2v2 dictates this
Me: Where did this equation come from?
Textbook: A net force is created.
Me: Where did this net force come from?
Textbook: The pressure.
Me: Where did this pressure come from?
etc
And then I end up on some encyclopedia reading about fluid dynamics for the next few hours because a 2-point question on the homework made no sense to me.

To be honest, I don't know why exactly I struggled in physics. Applying math concepts isn't an issue, or even if it was, it shouldn't be now after all these years (I took physics as a freshmen). I think I just had a hard time understanding the actual concepts. For example:
etc
And then I end up on some encyclopedia reading about fluid dynamics for the next few hours because a 2-point question on the homework made no sense to me.
Then PChem would be a spiral into the abyss for you. Because that's pretty much the entirety of the class. Newly invented math and and bad mish-mashes of derivations to notate poorly understood concepts, applied layer upon codified layer by experimental physicists over the past 400 years.
I advise avoidance to maintain sanity.

Reactions: 1 users
I have no idea how your school would list it on your transcript. However, what I can tell you is that when you go to enter your courses in AMCAS, there is a little checkbox where you can mark the AP courses as AP, so you can note that you took them in HS even though they appear on your college transcript. Then, what ever designation your school puts on the transcript, it is clearly not actually a retake (i.e. a class you bombed and then had to do over), and so no one will bat an eye at it.

The reason retakes are discouraged is because of a bad initial grade, which doesn't go away. Whereas this is not the case for you. So don't worry about that aspect of it. Also, a large number of med schools do not accept APs for pre-reqs, or only accept them if your school does - and lists the grade on their transcript, so it would probably be a good idea for you to get that one logged in anyway.

And yeah, if that was your Gen Chem experience 3+ years ago, then Gen Chem I will be a super easy A for you.

Oh, I see! I was under the impression that taking GChem I would look like I was chickening out or something. Because you'd think someone who survived difficult math classes would be able to take PChem, right? Bleh. I thought that as long as the school gave me the credits and listed the class, I was all set. :(

Order of chem difficulty:

Gen Chem >> Analytical Chem >> Organic Chem >>>>>>>>> PChem

• PChem is by far the most difficult, and even if you are proficient in advanced math you will have a greater probability of getting an A in Analytical Chem. If your uni offers that series - I'd recommend it.

My school offers GChem and Analytic in a two-for-one deal, so I can't take Analytic unless I take it after I graduate. :')

Members don't see this ad :)
Then PChem would be a spiral into the abyss for you. Because that's pretty much the entirety of the class. Newly invented math and and bad mish-mashes of derivations to notate poorly understood concepts, applied layer upon codified layer by experimental physicists over the past 400 years.
I advise avoidance to maintain sanity.
Yeah I'd like to change my answer too.

For the record (I used to tutor for a living so I have a need to answer questions/help):

Because the flow rate has to remain constant since we're treating the fluid as non-compressible.

That's the formula for flow rate (how much fluid goes through a cross-section in a unit of time) and it's just an equation saying how flow rate is constant in the same pipe

It has mass and accelerated didn't it? F=ma , right?

You ever stick your thumb over the end of a hose and feel that pressure? That pressure is what accelerated it. It's non-compressible fluid so the pressure buildup from not being able to get out is what accelerates it out so you can spray your friend in the face. Physics is the laws of the universe, they just are at this level.

That is normal.

Last edited:
etc

It sounds like your problem, then, is fundamental to how we teach and think about science rather than the difficulty of the class itself. In all of science, there must be fundamental postulates that cannot be derived from something else. For physics, that might be something like F=m*a. For quantum mechanics, that might be Schrodinger's equation. For chemistry, that might be the Eyring equation (very non-intuitive derivation if you read the original paper). But these things have been established as true - or very good models of the truth (since either Schrodinger or Einstein is wrong). These are the first principles from which everything else can be derived.

I believe your problem is that sometimes, you must accept a certain statement in order to proceed forward in a timely manner and you are reluctant to do so (as you should be). So for example, rather than simply accept an equation, you want to see the derivation and spend a lot of time tracing that down. That is admirable, but in order to learn in these classes, you have to accept the equations first and then later go back on your own to trace down the derivations. It's great that you want to find those first principles because that's what makes science work! But you also have to make some adjustments to how you learn in lecture if you are to succeed in PChem.

I get mild PTSD when I hear P-Chem; take literally anything else if you value your life.

Pchem is never a cake walk, for anybody.
When I was an undergrad, I enrolled in p-chem as an "elective" course because I thought it would be fun. I know ... what was I thinking ... c'est la vie?

On the first day of class, I noticed many of the seats in the classroom (that were normally occupied by STEM majors) were glaringly empty, as if this class had been quarantined from the rest of the campus.

After a while, I knew *why* there were so many empty seats: p-chem was one of the most challenging courses I ever completed as an undergraduate and it wasn't even a pre-req for me. Again ... what was I thinking?

peachbread said:
I think I just had a hard time understanding the actual concepts.
Although my classmates and I felt okay with calculations/formulas ... approximations (yup, you have them), we discovered fairly quickly that one's mathematical competency did not guarantee one's competency in p-chem. Instead, we spent countless hours studying and analyzing different theories/concepts in an effort to thoroughly understand the basis of each theory/concept/calculation/formula, including whether the formula (etc.) was valid or not valid ... you know ... complex problem-solving skills ... bridging the gap between math and its application to chemistry. At times, we had no idea how to start - not a clue!

In the past, the American Chemical Society sold a car sticker that said something like: "Honk, if you passed P-Chem!"

Yup, it's all that, and more.

My degree is in physical chemistry, so know that this advice is coming from someone who loves pchem and has taught multiple undergrad pchem courses.

Unless you are a chemistry major, take Gen Chem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
This thread ought to be required reading for every high school senior who hopes to go to medical school. The OP should have never taken the AP credit exam. He should have sand bagged it and taken Gen Chem as a college freshman and bagged the easy A. What a mistake. I know three chemistry majors who went to med school and all of them thought P Chem was tougher than anything they encountered in med school.

OP, can't you take some other chemistry class?

Update:
I am 90% sure I will be taking GChem I based on this thread, my premed adviser, and my academic adviser. The issue I'm running into right now is that, since I already took upper-level chemistry and did exceptional in them (all A's), I may be disqualified from taking GChem I. There may have been some form of minor miscommunication, so my academic adviser and I are trying to get that sorted out before enrollment in two weeks.
Most probable scenario: I'll take GChem I (and excitedly add in a cryptography course because why not) and sleep like a baby.
Worst case scenario: I can't take GChem I and must take PChem I (in which case I'll take a summer GChem I course at a local community college and call it done).

For the record (I used to tutor for a living so I have a need to answer questions/help):

Because the flow rate has to remain constant since we're treating the fluid as non-compressible.

That's the formula for flow rate (how much fluid goes through a cross-section in a unit of time) and it's just an equation saying how flow rate is constant in the same pipe

It has mass and accelerated didn't it? F=ma , right?

You ever stick your thumb over the end of a hose and feel that pressure? That pressure is what accelerated it. It's non-compressible fluid so the pressure buildup from not being able to get out is what accelerates it out so you can spray your friend in the face. Physics is the laws of the universe, they just are at this level.

That is normal.

Thank you for the clarifications! Sorta wish I came to SDN three years ago to ask about physics, rather brute-forcing me way through it by myself, haha.

It sounds like your problem, then, is fundamental to how we teach and think about science rather than the difficulty of the class itself. In all of science, there must be fundamental postulates that cannot be derived from something else. For physics, that might be something like F=m*a. For quantum mechanics, that might be Schrodinger's equation. For chemistry, that might be the Eyring equation (very non-intuitive derivation if you read the original paper). But these things have been established as true - or very good models of the truth (since either Schrodinger or Einstein is wrong). These are the first principles from which everything else can be derived.

I believe your problem is that sometimes, you must accept a certain statement in order to proceed forward in a timely manner and you are reluctant to do so (as you should be). So for example, rather than simply accept an equation, you want to see the derivation and spend a lot of time tracing that down. That is admirable, but in order to learn in these classes, you have to accept the equations first and then later go back on your own to trace down the derivations. It's great that you want to find those first principles because that's what makes science work! But you also have to make some adjustments to how you learn in lecture if you are to succeed in PChem.

That is definitely a problem for me. I've been too spoiled in my math classes, because I get to see proofs behind every theorem/corollary I learn. The funny thing is, I ran into that exact issue a couple weeks ago in my economics class, where I was told to assume something "just because". Needless to say, I got frustrated. In any case, yes, I completely agree with you. I see now that it's also the same in math: we associated two with the symbol "2", but why? Why 4? Why not 5? This is an inherent truth that must be accepted for the rest of math (gosh, I hope I made sense).

I get mild PTSD when I hear P-Chem; take literally anything else if you value your life.

I already lost my life to Abstract Algebra. What will I give to PChem?

When I was an undergrad, I enrolled in p-chem as an "elective" course because I thought it would be fun. I know ... what was I thinking ... c'est la vie?

On the first day of class, I noticed many of the seats in the classroom (that were normally occupied by STEM majors) were glaringly empty, as if this class had been quarantined from the rest of the campus.

After a while, I knew *why* there were so many empty seats: p-chem was one of the most challenging courses I ever completed as an undergraduate and it wasn't even a pre-req for me. Again ... what was I thinking?

Although my classmates and I felt okay with calculations/formulas ... approximations (yup, you have them), we discovered fairly quickly that one's mathematical competency did not guarantee one's competency in p-chem. Instead, we spent countless hours studying and analyzing different theories/concepts in an effort to thoroughly understand the basis of each theory/concept/calculation/formula, including whether the formula (etc.) was valid or not valid ... you know ... complex problem-solving skills ... bridging the gap between math and its application to chemistry. At times, we had no idea how to start - not a clue!

In the past, the American Chemical Society sold a car sticker that said something like: "Honk, if you passed P-Chem!"

Yup, it's all that, and more.

Meeep. From what you said, PChem definitely seems like an intense course. I'm going to assume that it will be worse than the advanced orgo course I took, where students dropped like flies (we had less than 10 people left by the end)? I looked at the chemistry major coursework at my school, and it looks like they list PChem as a required, 4th year course taken literally in their last semester. I'm also going to assume it's there (instead of, say, beginning of 3rd year) for a reason.

My degree is in physical chemistry, so know that this advice is coming from someone who loves pchem and has taught multiple undergrad pchem courses.

Unless you are a chemistry major, take Gen Chem.

Thank you! I'm definitely 90% sure I'll be taking GChem. c:

This thread ought to be required reading for every high school senior who hopes to go to medical school. The OP should have never taken the AP credit exam. He should have sand bagged it and taken Gen Chem as a college freshman and bagged the easy A. What a mistake. I know three chemistry majors who went to med school and all of them thought P Chem was tougher than anything they encountered in med school.

OP, can't you take some other chemistry class?

I wholeheartedly agree.

One thing, however, that I see may trip people: I arrived at college wanting a PhD, not a MD/DO. I took the AP credits, because why not? I get to skip classes. I'm a diligent and disciplined student, so I know how to study (I'm not smart, so I'm completely reliant on how much effort I put into my work). I only realized I wanted to become a physician towards the end of my first year, so I immediately dropped my AP Bio credits and squeezed the sequence into my 3rd year. I did not drop my AP Chem credits because I was led to believe that I would not be able to take Orgo if I did (false), and that I would be able to substitute Biochem I for it (false). The gullible me from the past believed them (it's my fault for not double/triple-checking, so I'm not going to blame them for my mistake and predicament).

From my experience and from the experience of people close to me, here is my conclusion:

If someone is a premed, they should drop those AP credits, unless their major is in that field (ie: I did not drop my AP Calculus/Stats credits because I'm a math major). By not accepting the AP credits, a premed can do well in those courses, earn an even stronger foundation in sciences, be well-prepared for the MCATs, and be in good standing when the time comes for medical school applications.

If someone is not a premed, it's still beneficial to consider retaking the introductory sequences if they are not confident in their skills (ie: they feel like they "lucked out" on their AP exam, which is how I felt during my AP Bio exam). A friend of mine went into her freshmen year with so many AP credits, she was immediately thrown into 3rd year classes. She was put on academic probation a year later, because college is inherently different than high school. (She's doing way better now.) This is completely anecdotal, but I do believe someone who does not know how to study, who procrastinates too much, who got by with partial credit in high school, etc, will benefit from taking introductory courses as a freshmen to get used to how college works. I was a horrible mess in my first semester, and I sincerely appreciate my adviser for kicking me into three general education classes (except Art History because this class is the spawn of all things bad for me).

AP credits people should consider keeping: General education-type AP credits. I kept AP French because it fulfilled my language requirement. I also kept AP Psych for my sociology requirement.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with GChem or PChem.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like the difficulty of p-Chem is being overblown in this thread

I feel like the difficulty of p-Chem is being overblown in this thread
Probably. But when multiple people tell me (not just people on SDN) taking PChem is probably a bad idea, I feel like I should at least consider the alternative (GChem--which looks more and more beneficial in terms of time and stress).

Update #2
It looks like I don't even need to take GChem or PChem: My school lists my AP credits in the exact way UVM requires it to. I lucked out. Hardcore.
GChem is also offered as an online-only class with an in-person lab section, but taking it may shut me out of schools that don't accept online courses. Plus I'd lose my AP credit.
I can happily enjoy next semester with stochastic processes and cryptography. :^D