Physical Restrictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KayTee1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any physical restrictions or disabilities that would make you ineligible for applying to medical school. Is there a certain level of vision required?

Members don't see this ad.

All schools have some statement on their "technical standards" for admission. They include things like observational skills, communication skills, motor function, intellectual abilities, and behavioral/social attributes. Reasonable accommodations are made for disabled students, but a physical impairment that raises serious concerns about your ability to independently perform as a medical student/physician are acceptable reasons for denying admission.

Vision impairment is not usually something that keeps you from doing what you need to do, though. I know that there are quite a few blind doctors, although I'm not sure if they were blind during medical school or if it came later. You probably need to at least be able to read a chart/computer screen and adequately observe a patient at bedside.