Physical science section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking the MCAT next April, but I have a feeling that the PS section will be my weakest, so I'm reviewing now. At this point, I'm just going through a Kaplan MCAT book and my old chem. textbook. I'm just trying to learn the concepts; I'm not really doing any problems. I haven't looked at any PS passages yet. I know that calculators aren't allowed for the MCAT, but should I still be doing physics/gen. chem. problems (meaning the kind assigned for homework)? Or will I be fine if I focus on mastering the concepts (and then practicing with passages from practice MCATs)?

Members don't see this ad.

bump

wait...no calculators...so now i haveto rev all my physics AND learn how to add...are we allowed to wear sandals and use our toes?

seriously...no calculators???!

seriously. no calculators. gotta be quick with the scientific notation my friend.

Arithmetic is very important for the MCAT! A lot of my students really underestimate the importance of being able to add, subtract, multiply, divide and ROUND OFF very quickly and accurately.

If you are at all arithmetically challenged, start now - balance your checkbook by hand, do all calculations for everything by hand and then check with calculator, get a tutor - whatever you have to do. Lack of arithmetic skills (in sci notation too) will really slow you down on the physical science section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by UCLAstudent
I'll be taking the MCAT next April, but I have a feeling that the PS section will be my weakest, so I'm reviewing now. At this point, I'm just going through a Kaplan MCAT book and my old chem. textbook. I'm just trying to learn the concepts; I'm not really doing any problems. I haven't looked at any PS passages yet. I know that calculators aren't allowed for the MCAT, but should I still be doing physics/gen. chem. problems (meaning the kind assigned for homework)? Or will I be fine if I focus on mastering the concepts (and then practicing with passages from practice MCATs)?

My advice is to go over the Kaplan MCAT book quickly. I went over the chapters fairly quickly (sometimes 3 to a day, but I think I started at 2 a day). You've got to get over the studying so that you can just practice passages. If you've got a lot to cover still, I think you're best to go to the Kaplan center and take practice tests on material you've already studied...and then later in the day review the Kaplan book so you can finish up the studying part. My understanding is that the best way to improve the Physical Sciences section is to take tests...good luck.

I may just be repeating what you already know, but...
Use scientific notation to multiply and divide big numbers.

EXAMPLE 1:
multiply 45000000 times .00000036:

(4.5 x 10^7) x (3.6 x 10^-7)

7-7 = 0, so the exponent part is 10^0
then you just have to multiply 4.5 x 3.6 which is about 16.
so the answer is about 16 x 10^0.
10^0=1 so the answer is about 16.

EXAMPLE 2:
divide 230000 by 4600000000:
2.3x10^5 / 4.6 x 10^9
5-9=-4
2.3/4.6=0.5
so the answer is 0.5x10^-4, or 5x10^-5 or .00005

memorize these metric prefixes: micro, milli, kilo, mega.

waaaa:(

i can do math.
id just rather not.
guess i need to suck it up and get in the habbit.

PS: calculator for sale ti-86, ti -30, and solar casio scientific..name your price people.:mad:

"If you are at all arithmetically challenged, start now - balance your checkbook by hand,"

Make sure you use scientific notation while balancing your checkbook, especially if you are a billionaire