physical therapy questions.

OoOoO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) if you want to become a physical therapist, do you have to go to medical school?
2) what if i don't do a 6 year program for physical therapy, then what do i major in at a regular 4 year university, what exams do i take for admission in grad school, and when i apply for grad schools what would i have to apply for?

i'm currently a senior in high school, and i was looking into physical therapy so i was wondering those you have information on this fi they could explain it to me. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Of course you don't have to. You go through a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) program to become a physical therapist.
2. I'm actually not sure about this one. I'm guessing the GRE.

1. Of course you don't have to. You go through a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) program to become a physical therapist.
2. I'm actually not sure about this one. I'm guessing the GRE.

thank you! :]

Members don't see this ad :)
actually you don't have to get a DPT or a PhD in physical therapy. there are master's programs and that's the more popular route still, I believe.

here are the answers to most/all of your questions:

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...MPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=38070

That page has info on "PTA" as well. That's an assistant to a PT.

I think it was made so that the DPT is standard, so now all new physical therapy grads are DPTs. I was told that by a teacher last year in high school who is also a physical therapist.

I think it was made so that the DPT is standard, so now all new physical therapy grads are DPTs. I was told that by a teacher last year in high school who is also a physical therapist.

I wouldn't doubt that to be the case. Many of the allied health professions have raised their standards like that which creates this odd mix of practitioners with different degrees and qualifications.

ya you'll go for your dpt and you take the GRE..some schools don't require the GRE, but most do. I just took the GRE and am in the process of filling out all the apps for phys therapy

So physical therapy is 6 years?

you can also get your bachelors in something like Kinesiology and continue on to a graduate physical therapy program. I know of a couple people who are planning on going this route, good luck! Btw, why the switch from PharmD to PT? just curious.

you can also get your bachelors in something like Kinesiology and continue on to a graduate physical therapy program. I know of a couple people who are planning on going this route, good luck! Btw, why the switch from PharmD to PT? just curious.

I rather get into a program. Its the safer route.

I'm still considering Pharmacy, but its just that my dad pinched a nerve and he went to a physical therapist who was able to help him when my doctor suggested that the only way to get better was surgery.

and i get into one of those schools that accept people at freshman level, do i still need to take the G.R.E?

and i get into one of those schools that accept people at freshman level, do i still need to take the G.R.E?

I think it depends on the program. Check the websites of the programs you're interested in.