physican Take Home Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nitty452

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can find the average gross income, but does anyone have a chart for take home pay for most the specialties after costs? Insurance, and such?

Members don't see this ad.

They take home enough to pay the bills

It averages out to about 3.75/hr USD

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh SDN an unparalleled source of knowledge...

I can find the average gross income, but does anyone have a chart for take home pay for most the specialties after costs? Insurance, and such?

Since no one else has given a real answer, I'll try. But first, you've gotta take those average figures with a grain of salt. There are way too many variables in the way physicians are paid for those stats to do much good. For instance, I know a group of family practice docs where the pay ranges from <$150,000/year to over $350,000/year and everyone works about the same amount of hours. It all depends on whether you are a partner, an employee or a sole practicioner; what your benefits package is; and what state you live in. In parts of Florida, for example, malpractice insurance for OB/GYNs is over 100 grand per year; in other states it's less than 40 grand. People who do tons of procedures get paid more than those who hardly do any. There really are just too many things involved for the stats to even be useful.

Well I understand the salary range, but I always hear you don't really make that much after insurance. However no one has ever really said how much this is? Say for a ER physican $10K?? $70K???

Well I understand the salary range, but I always hear you don't really make that much after insurance. However no one has ever really said how much this is? Say for a ER physican $10K?? $70K???

You seem a little perturbed by the responses you've been getting here so I have a great idea for you. Why don't you go to the Osteo forum and ask practicing DO's how much they pay for insurance, etc?

How the heck would we know . . . this is the PRE-osteo forum? :rolleyes:

actually, I'm really a D.O. and I'm just doing medical school over again because I'm bored. If you PM me I'll tell you what I got paid.

...not

EM physicians are often paid hourly, typically from 100 to 150 per hour (all depends on where you are), and malpractice may or may not be included in your compensation package. You may also work in a group of EM physicians who provide coverage to a hospital and your pay will vary depending on whether you are an employee or partner.

In many cases, you can work all the hours you want to, but a typical figure is 14 to 15 shifts per month. I know some people who only work weekends or just two days a week. I know one place that recently advertised a spot for working three 48-hour shifts per month and they pay $156,000 per year, malpractice included-- not a bad part-time job. They also offered the chance to pick up more shifts if you wanted them.

There really are just so many different ways to get paid that you can't make any generalizations.

And insurance rates are highly variable from state to state. I haven't looked at Emergency Medicine specifically, but I'd guess that it is probably in the ~$20,000/yr range, probably less in some states and more in others. As said, for EM some job opportunities will include malpractice coverage, some will not. Often (usually?) if you are a direct employee of the hospital (whether EM or hospitalist or other) they pay your malpractice. Physicians in private practice or contracting with hospitals (i.e., still private practice) pick up their own (unless a partner group pays it out of overhead for tax reasons or something similar). Maybe $10,000/yr is expected as minimum for most any state and specialty, with a huge variation in stuff like surgical specialties, anesthesiology, radiology, etc. from state to state. The "high end" of most specialties in most might be more like $50k/yr, with some exceptions where a particular specialty in some states goes even higher (i.e., Ob/Gyn in /Florida). I would guess that a spine surgeon pulling in a million/yr might have more than 50k/yr in malpractice :), and stuff like neurosurgery probably pushes the higher limits in most states anyway. There are a lot that fall in the 20k, 30k, 40k ranges.

Depending on the field and what state you're in, you can look up the average cost of malpractice premiums. There's a pretty wide range like others have said.

Everyone warns most salary surveys are pretty inaccurate. They are especially unreliable because the numbers are based on people who work different hours (some 40, most 60, some 80). They also tend to be on the high side of the spectrum.

You can guesstimate though.
Find a conservative one -- take away 35-40% for taxes, then subtract the insurance costs.

Everyone warns most salary surveys are pretty inaccurate... They also tend to be on the high side of the spectrum.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. There are a lot of surveys out there that under-report salaries in many fields. Few, if any that I've seen, overestimate the average. And many are either net income or gross minus malpractice and other expenses but before taxes so you don't always have to subtract for those. But with the wild variations in survey methods, respondent tendencies, and reporting methods it is pretty useless to get much more than a very gross idea of physician income from any of them. I think about the only thing you can confidently say is that "most docs make more than 100k, few make more than 1mil."

I found that most ER physicans salarys include Med Mal... I'll post the link later if i can find it again

My brother in law is an ER doctor, just finished residency in June of last year. He makes $180/hour, can work as many shifts as he wants, but typically works anywhere from 16-20 shifts per month. His malpractice is paid for by the group, he pays everything else on his own, such as health insurance, his own equipment (i.e. stethescope), scrubs, etc.

Sounds great, and is relatively great, but keep in mind that the average starting physician has a ton of student loans, so you can't go out and buy a great big house and new expensive car.

To the OP:

Worry about getting into medical school first, then finishing and then worry about salaries. These figures mean nothing in the next 10 years.

To answer your question, yes, you'd be able to afford Pizza Hut everyday.

all i care is to make enough to pay off bills and save for retirement