Physician Assistant doing Fluoro Guided Procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The issue is that our professional societies, which should argue for physicians and the practice of medicine, have dues which are way out of proportion to what they do and then backstab us by pretending to be "healthcare" focused.

I haven't seen a single organization that has the guts to stand up to this mess.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Why cant we unionize like the nurses?

Because docs in general have it pretty good. In order for a revolution to be successful, you have to have a populace that is really angry. See france in 1789 or russia in 1917

Members don't see this ad :)
So what you’re saying is prepare for a world without doctors? FAFSA will stop funding medical schools? Med schools will close their doors? The world will be run by midlevels? Cost cutting maybe, but there will always be a place for physicians in healthcare. Its just a matter of how much we’re willing to tolerate before we walk out and they’re stuck with a true socio-economic crisis on their hands. News flash: patients dont want to see nurses. They want to see doctors. Eventually doctors need to organize and fight back. Period. Or else yes, prepare to be ripped off.

Documentary. We’re getting closer.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm if it doesn't affect you at this point, maybe you should consider not commenting? Those of us who are relatively early in our careers are not ready to go down without a fight. I certainly am not. How do we organize is my only question to, ahem, productive commenters…
No, I'll comment if I want. You no longer own the internet.

What would be better is if you just hit the ignore button on me if you find my comments to be irrelevant now that you now know that it doesn't affect me too much.

Right since I meant for my whimsical example on SDN to be taken for scientific fact. Stupid me. 😏🙄
You're the one who gave that example and you see that same thing over and over again. That's the first thing people jump to when they feel threatened.

I can't believe so and so are able to do this and that. I experienced this one so and so who messed up royally. They don't know as much as I do, blah, blah, blah....

Same thing in the past with MD vs DO, US vs Caribbean docs, anesthesia vs pmr. It's just human nature but it doesn't work in the end.

No, I'll comment if I want. You no longer own the internet.

What would be better is if you just hit the ignore button on me if you find my comments to be irrelevant now that you now know that it doesn't affect me too much.
It was a suggestion to improve the way you come across. Not to protect my delicate space. Commenting all this doom and gloom constantly to other doctors, many of whom are negatively affected by these trends and then saying “but its fine, I couldn't care less, because it doesn't affect me at this point.” You might as well be giving a big f you to all your colleagues. But hey you wanna come across as a douche? Go ahead! Internets yours!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It was a suggestion to improve the way you come across. Not to protect my delicate space. Commenting all this doom and gloom constantly to other doctors, many of which are negatively affected by these trends and then saying “but its fine, I couldn't care less, because it doesn't affect me at this point.” You might as well be giving a big f you to all your colleagues. But hey you wanna come across as a douche? Go ahead! Internets yours!
1. From the little I've seen of your posts I don't think you're in any position to give advice on how someone should come across.

2. Some posters in here may appreciate advice from someone with more experience than someone fresh out.

3. It's only doom and gloom if you choose to see it that way. Others may see it as opportunity.

4. I've heard the same doom and gloom about starting your own practice when I started up. A little over a decade later and I'm on the cusp of retiring. Some people may see a bit of value in that.

1. From the little I've seen of your posts I don't think you're in any position to give advice on how someone should come across.

2. Some posters in here may appreciate advice from someone with more experience than someone fresh out.

3. It's only doom and gloom if you choose to see it that way. Others may see it as opportunity.

4. I've heard the same doom and gloom about starting your own practice when I started up. A little over a decade later and I'm on the cusp of retiring. Some people may see a bit of value in that.
Please point out this great advice you’re giving…

On the cusp of retiring and seemingly being pretty indifferent toward the next generation’s struggles, and throwing it in their face without hesitation. Nice. Yea I can argue about things until kingdom come. I can poke fun at liberals. But I dont stoop that low.

Last edited:
I’ll level with you. Midlevel encroachment is not even what worries me the most. What suggest you to the constant cuts to medicare reimbursement? Or the constant battle to get things approved with more and more stringent guidelines? How exactly is any of this an opportunity?

To be clear, im not complaining because I have it bad. I have it quite good compared to other doctors. Im complaining because of the negative trends I see influencing my field of practice. And while I have not been directly affected yet, my practice most definitely has.

Sorry, but the train has left the station. How does anyone propose physicians protect out turf moving forward? We have lost control on all fronts. At this point you can continue fighting the good fight or employ some midlevels yourself. The anesthesia model of supervision is the best near term model to multiply a physicians skill and knowledge.

Sorry, but the train has left the station. How does anyone propose physicians protect out turf moving forward? We have lost control on all fronts. At this point you can continue fighting the good fight or employ some midlevels yourself. The anesthesia model of supervision is the best near term model to multiply a physicians skill and knowledge.
Oh I employ 2 PA’s and my practice employs 7 in total. Like I said Im not as worried about midlevel encroachment as I am about the reimbursing bodies that be constantly giving us the squeeze. They aren't just giving us the squeeze. They squeeze the midlevels one and the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mention it because it's very relevant to the conversation.

Reimbursement cuts and prior auths are not good but are a fact so I'll have to deal with it.

So what would I do? Probably something exactly like the practice OP is referencing. I would probably start a practice where I would look to have mid levels do as much of the work as possible and I would place myself more in a managerial type of position. Why would I want to pay someone a physician's salary if I don't have to, especially if reimbursement will not be commensurate.

I mention it because it's very relevant to the conversation.

Reimbursement cuts and prior auths are not good but are a fact so I'll have to deal with it.

So what would I do? Probably something exactly like the practice OP is referencing. I would probably start a practice where I would look to have mid levels do as much of the work as possible and I would place myself more in a managerial type of position. Why would I want to pay someone a physician's salary if I don't have to, especially if reimbursement will not be commensurate.
Wow. Insert slow clap here. Some advice. I now know not to take a single thing you say seriously.

is the future of interventional pain medicine hiring a bunch of midlevels to work up the patients and refer the procedures to the physician who stays in the fluoro suite all day?

is the future of interventional pain medicine hiring a bunch of midlevels to work up the patients and refer the procedures to the physician who stays in the fluoro suite all day?
I use my midlevels for follow-ups. Thats it. It certainly as death and taxes, is not using them to do your procedures. Not in any clinic I’ll ever work in.

same here, follow ups only and the only procedure is TPI away from the lung fields.

Wow. Insert slow clap here. Some advice. I now know not to take a single thing you say seriously.
So don't. I'm not in a position to worry about that at this point. I know the issues that I had to deal with when I started up and I knew what I wanted. Despite the naysayers, I made it work and got everything out of my practice that I wanted. There will always be issues that need to be dealt with. I have no doubt that if I were starting up today I would figure it out. Those who are capable will figure out a way to succeed. Those who aren't will just complain about it.

The future??? I bet that's a business plan for many people today. I bet the future will be the mid-levels remaining in the procedure suite all day and competing directly with physicians.

• Sad
The future??? I bet that's a business plan for many people today. I bet the future will be the mid-levels remaining in the procedure suite all day and competing directly with physicians.
That sounds like CRNA model for anesthesia.
Not sure what anesthesiologist feel about CRNAs in the field - whether now it's a necessary evil or if they could go back, they'd never have done it.

That sounds like CRNA model for anesthesia.
Not sure what anesthesiologist feel about CRNAs in the field - whether now it's a necessary evil or if they could go back, they'd never have done it.
Ive never worked in a clinic or hospital where your midlevels do your blocks or other major procedures.

Yesterday, I had an NP come up to me asking me how to read an antibiotic sensitivity report. She had no idea what a MIC was. And shes a wound care nurse. What does it take to prove that doctors are better trained than nurses I mean really.
Mics are for dropping. How could she not know?

There is a large PE practice in my state that incentivizes this:

$30/wrvu for clinic visits
$80/wrvu fluoro procedures
$100/wrvu for ASC cases

In other words, mid-levels feed the physician procedures.

There is a large PE practice in my state that incentivizes this:

$30/wrvu for clinic visits
$80/wrvu fluoro procedures
$100/wrvu for ASC cases

In other words, mid-levels feed the physician procedures.
I have no problem with this model. In fact this is essentially my practice model. I do have a problem with them actually performing procedures. I see all new patients though.

I have no problem with this model. In fact this is essentially my practice model. I do have a problem with them actually performing procedures. I see all new patients though.
Mhmm, this model incentivizes mid-levels to push procedures, even if not indicated, or borderline etc...

Reactions: 3 users
Mhmm, this model incentivizes mid-levels to push procedures, even if not indicated, or borderline etc...
I always confirm exam findings and indications before I do any procedure.

• Hmm
So what would I do? Probably something exactly like the practice OP is referencing. I would probably start a practice where I would look to have mid levels do as much of the work as possible and I would place myself more in a managerial type of position. Why would I want to pay someone a physician's salary if I don't have to, especially if reimbursement will not be cocommensurate.

This post sucks.

This post sucks.

Huge disconnect on quality care vs making money.

When there is the financial incentive then this model propagates.

If the gvt does it all, docs get screwed. If there is no regulation and this happens, docs get screwed.

The only answer is a more powerful physician lobby or legitimate unionization

Keep the PAs busy in the office Fluoro suite while the pain surgeon is saving lives in the asc.

I do think it is a bit disingenuous for docs that have essentially already made it and have absolutely no skin in the game to come out and say "oh it doesn't matter what happens to our profession. writing's on the wall. mid levels are just as good as MDs and should and will replace them"

it's actually pretty messed up. Not everyone has already made their millions and has acres and acres of land or a profitable real estate portolio. many on here are still paying off their $300k in student loans. Telling them they're no better than those with a fraction of the training is pretty insulting and is likely to ruffle some feathers

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I do think it is a bit disingenuous for docs that have essentially already made it and have absolutely no skin in the game come out and say "oh it doesn't matter what happens to our profession. writing's on the wall. mid levels are just as good as MDs and should and will replace them"

it's actually pretty messed up. Not everyone has already made their millions and has acres and acres of land or a profitable real estates portolio. many on here are still paying off their $300k in student loans. Telling them they're no better than those with a fraction of the training is pretty insulting and is likely to ruffle some feathers
Exactly. Its disgusting.

I was talking to a SRNA the other day while on OB call. We began talking about her rotation experience at a CRNA-only hospital in the area. (My state recently has approved CRNA-only independent practice). She was left alone in an OR doing a craniotomy, again this is a student CRNA. She asked the surgeon if she should give lasix but that she didn't know the dose to use. Surgeon didn't know either.

I also had a PDPH that arrived in OB triage and since I had several things I was doing at that time I asked the (very experienced) CRNA if she would mind evaluating the patient and let me know if she thought she might need a blood patch. The CRNA told me she hasn't evaluated a PDPH or done a blood patch in many years and wasn't comfortable doing so.

This is the world we currently live in.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I do think it is a bit disingenuous for docs that have essentially already made it and have absolutely no skin in the game come out and say "oh it doesn't matter what happens to our profession. writing's on the wall. mid levels are just as good as MDs and should and will replace them"

it's actually pretty messed up. Not everyone has already made their millions and has acres and acres of land or a profitable real estates portolio. many on here are still paying off their $300k in student loans. Telling them they're no better than those with a fraction of the training is pretty insulting and is likely to ruffle some feathers
I think you're taking this the wrong way. There are my beliefs on the capabilities of people and then there's the reality of the US healthcare environment. Education to me is important but the vast majority of what's learned is learned on the job for the most part and anyone can learn anything by working at it enough. An established group with a vested interest in any particular field has the typical superiority complex and doesn't like to hear this and I see the same theme repeated in every business I'm involved in.

- Brokers against realtors, realtors against non-realtor agents, all of these groups against nonlicensed people acting pro se
- white American construction and tree service guys against central American immigrants in the same fields
- licensed plumbers and electricians against unlicensed ones
- neurosurgeons against pain docs
- the examples i mentioned in my previous post
- now that I'm being "forced" to make my farm profitable I'm starting to see it here too

-------

We can discuss the above if you'd like but whether or not I'm right about it is irrelevant and separate from what's happening in healthcare. The reality is that most patients don't care or notice the letters after your name. The best analogy to explain this is when you walk onto an airplane. You don't know or even think about the educational background or credentials that the pilot and flight crew have. You just trust in the system. That's how most patients see us. We're probably judged mostly by the first visit and by word of mouth more than anything else.

So on one side, most patients don't think about our educational background and on the other side, you have the payers and the government. Both are going to focus on reducing costs and if someone is willing to provide the same service as you for a lower cost you better be able to compete with that.

If I were to spend the time and money opening up a business I would want to consider all of these options.

_____

On another note, you seem to be pretty staunch on the far right, which is cool but it seems that you're advocating for more government involvement and protectionism of your interests which would seem to contradict the typical right-wing belief system. It also seems that you're not advocating for a free market which also seems to be a contradiction. Why not let the free market decide who the best pain provider is?

as an old school doc, i would have concerns with this model too.

should be the doctor that decides on the injection.

but i am also realistic, and APPs can be trained to recognize when an injection may be appropriate, then get it approved by the physician.

===

it is inevitable that APPs, who are less expensive to train, less expensive to hire, less expensive to maintain, and easier to control, will become a larger presence in healthcare.

the future model should be where the physician functions as the director of a healthcare team, establishing and directing treatment plans and the APPs do the "scut" work, similar to the medical resident team.

this is how healthcare has gone naturally over the past 50 years. nothing physicians do, even unionizing, will not change this.

but the physician role remains a key component - the key component, after patients - to healthcare. focus more on how to we continue to make the physician role indispensable.

I think you're taking this the wrong way. There are my beliefs on the capabilities of people and then there's the reality of the US healthcare environment. Education to me is important but the vast majority of what's learned is learned on the job for the most part and anyone can learn anything by working at it enough. An established group with a vested interest in any particular field has the typical superiority complex and doesn't like to hear this and I see the same theme repeated in every business I'm involved in.

- Brokers against realtors, realtors against non-realtor agents, all of these groups against nonlicensed people acting pro se
- white American construction and tree service guys against central American immigrants in the same fields
- licensed plumbers and electricians against unlicensed ones
- neurosurgeons against pain docs
- the examples i mentioned in my previous post
- now that I'm being "forced" to make my farm profitable I'm starting to see it here too

-------

We can discuss the above if you'd like but whether or not I'm right about it is irrelevant and separate from what's happening in healthcare. The reality is that most patients don't care or notice the letters after your name. The best analogy to explain this is when you walk onto an airplane. You don't know or even think about the educational background or credentials that the pilot and flight crew have. You just trust in the system. That's how most patients see us. We're probably judged mostly by the first visit and by word of mouth more than anything else.

So on one side, most patients don't think about our educational background and on the other side, you have the payers and the government. Both are going to focus on reducing costs and if someone is willing to provide the same service as you for a lower cost you better be able to compete with that.

If I were to spend the time and money opening up a business I would want to consider all of these options.

_____

On another note, you seem to be pretty staunch on the far right, which is cool but it seems that you're advocating for more government involvement and protectionism of your interests which would seem to contradict the typical right-wing belief system. It also seems that you're not advocating for a free market which also seems to be a contradiction. Why not let the free market decide who the best pain provider is?
my problem with this is that we are seeing very poorly educated NPs pretend to practice medicine and harming patients. there is no recourse for the patients because the NP either can't be sued or they aren't held to the same standards of a physician or the supervising physician is the one who takes the hit in a lawsuit.

they're being legislated into the practice of medicine instead of being educated. just look at their paltry education and almost complete lack of clinical training. nursing isn't medicine. years of clinical nursing do not equate to understanding how to formulate differentials and diagnose disease.

if you aren't familiar with the group Physicians for Patient Protection take a look at their website and consider their book Patient's at Risk. it's pretty eye opening.

Reactions: 3 users
as an old school doc, i would have concerns with this model too.

should be the doctor that decides on the injection.

but i am also realistic, and APPs can be trained to recognize when an injection may be appropriate, then get it approved by the physician.

===

it is inevitable that APPs, who are less expensive to train, less expensive to hire, less expensive to maintain, and easier to control, will become a larger presence in healthcare.

the future model should be where the physician functions as the director of a healthcare team, establishing and directing treatment plans and the APPs do the "scut" work, similar to the medical resident team.

this is how healthcare has gone naturally over the past 50 years. nothing physicians do, even unionizing, will not change this.

but the physician role remains a key component - the key component, after patients - to healthcare. focus more on how to we continue to make the physician role indispensable.
I agree. Well put. Now if only we could find a way to keep the government from giving us the big squeeze.

my problem with this is that we are seeing very poorly educated NPs pretend to practice medicine and harming patients. there is no recourse for the patients because the NP either can't be sued or they aren't held to the same standards of a physician or the supervising physician is the one who takes the hit in a lawsuit.

they're being legislated into the practice of medicine instead of being educated. just look at their paltry education and almost complete lack of clinical training. nursing isn't medicine. years of clinical nursing do not equate to understanding how to formulate differentials and diagnose disease.

if you aren't familiar with the group Physicians for Patient Protection take a look at their website and consider their book Patient's at Risk. it's pretty eye opening.
Who gets to draw the red line for which the practice of NPs cannot be crossed? Why is it okay now for them to see pts, prescribe meds, and manage the visits that reimburse less so they can then feed procedures to the doctor, which reimburses more? It's okay because the practice that is set up like that is generating revenue with that system. This type of practice, unsurprisingly, is not argued against in this post because it financially benefits the practice. You can clearly see this in this thread.

Not too long ago, doctors would be against this type of setup as they feared losing their jobs. It'll eventually be the same with procedures. It just depends on which side of the equation you're on. If you're cashing in on the work that NPs and PAs are doing you're going to advocate for it since it benefits you. If you feel threatened that they're going to take your job, you're going to be against it.

That's what it comes down - not quality of care. Let's not BS anything.

• Hmm
Who gets to draw the red line for which the practice of NPs cannot be crossed? Why is it okay now for them to see pts, prescribe meds, and manage the visits that reimburse less so they can then feed procedures to the doctor, which reimburses more? It's okay because the practice that is set up like that is generating revenue with that system. This type of practice, unsurprisingly, is not argued against in this post because it financially benefits the practice. You can clearly see this in this thread.

Not too long ago, doctors would be against this type of setup as they feared losing their jobs. It'll eventually be the same with procedures. It just depends on which side of the equation you're on. If you're cashing in on the work that NPs and PAs are doing you're going to advocate for it since it benefits you. If you feel threatened that they're going to take your job, you're going to be against it.

That's what it comes down - not quality of care. Let's not BS anything.
I personally think these people need to be supervised and function like residents, not be given carte blanche to practice medicine because they lobby for "full practice authority". there is room for them to extend the services of a physician. they aren't meant (nor educated) to replace us or function independently.

regarding quality of care. do you see an NP for your own health needs or do you seek out the expertise of a physician?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I personally think these people need to be supervised and function like residents, not be given carte blanche to practice medicine because they lobby for "full practice authority". there is room for them to extend the services of a physician. they aren't meant (nor educated) to replace us of function independently.

regarding quality of care. do you see an NP for your own health needs or do you seek out the expertise of a physician?
I try not to see anyone of course but I prefer, at least initially, a physician. Better educated and they worked a lot harder to get to where they are. There is something to be said in and of itself for surviving the intensity of med school training. That's just my initial bias but once I get to know and trust someone I probably wouldn't care too much.

Initially, I would probably prefer Ducttape to be my doctor. I like fighting with him but he puts the time in and seems like an overall good guy and doctor. Probably Steve to do my procedures. Seems like an honest dude who knows his stuff. Actually, most of you guys seem pretty good, except that telsa guy. He seems like an annoying jacka**, jk dude.

Either way, it doesn't matter what I feel. What matters is that the future is coming no matter what and it's not going to be the same as it is today, just like the environment for doctors today is completely different from how it was a few short decades ago. If I were starting up today I would prepare for it.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
We have a lot of great PAs in my practice, truly. Vast majority are fantastic and do a great job. I see this pt today at 3PM. PA did an US hip CSI without benefit. I saw the pt and did a fluoro hip. She saw that PA again and he dictated this.

20230112_121555.jpg

Why is this a big deal? She was sent to me bc their US hip CSI failed and they MRI her lumbar spine and sent to me for radic. Here's a slice from her MRI. She's supramorbidly obese. This case could have gone sideways quickly. Thank God my CSI worked.

20230112_123130.jpg

79 yo F. Fell out of her bed in July. XRAY 7/2022. Low back pain. Saw me. Refused PT and typical care from me. Chose instead to go to chiro.

20221223_110611.jpg

Chiro treatment began 9/2022 but had acute worsening during chiro treatment and saw one of our PAs.

This XRAY is 11/2022 and dictated by the PA as a normal lumbar spine and referred back to me.nippy?

BTW - I've seen several chiropractic fractures from their drop tables. They need to quit using those damn things.

20230112_121948.jpg

I MRI her and here it is...This is just T2, but it's bright on STIR.

20230112_122038.jpg

We have great PAs in my group. They miss things not infrequently, especially fractures. I have other fracture stories BTW. Doctors F up too, especially me. I consider myself a ******* in general. Allowing PAs to run the procedure suite is a bad idea. Unfortunately, our training is not similar. Not in the least bit similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Doctors are complicit in the midlevel takeover

My husband made a derm appointment to evaluate what he thinks is basal cell CA. MA tells him the doctor will be in to see him. He told me he thought the doctor was being really informal/casual about the whole process and barely looked at him. The MA injected lidocaine in his lip and the "doctor" did the punch biopsy. He was so unimpressed that I went to look up who the doctor was...and it turned out she was the PA. Now, she never told him herself that she was not the doctor...she didn't even introduce herself...but I can't help but feel this dermatology practice was hoping patients wouldn't be savvy enough to know the difference. She also gave him a pamphlet on Moh's surgery and made it sound like she would be doing the surgery herself, but I hope they at least would have the Moh's surgeon there.

It's funny how many medical students have zero hope of matching into Dermatology, but a PA can do a few rotations and be "just as good!"

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
I try not to see anyone of course but I prefer, at least initially, a physician. Better educated and they worked a lot harder to get to where they are. There is something to be said in and of itself for surviving the intensity of med school training. That's just my initial bias but once I get to know and trust someone I probably wouldn't care too much.

Initially, I would probably prefer Ducttape to be my doctor. I like fighting with him but he puts the time in and seems like an overall good guy and doctor. Probably Steve to do my procedures. Seems like an honest dude who knows his stuff. Actually, most of you guys seem pretty good, except that telsa guy. He seems like an annoying jacka**, jk dude.

Either way, it doesn't matter what I feel. What matters is that the future is coming no matter what and it's not going to be the same as it is today, just like the environment for doctors today is completely different from how it was a few short decades ago. If I were starting up today I would prepare for it.
Hey man, Im not even gonna hurl an insult back at you. Your posts do a pretty good job of making you look bad. My outcomes are, so far, immaculate (knocking on wood). I put patient safety first every single day. Its sad that you and Dr. Lobel love to look down on all your fellow physicians as inferior. We're all committing malpractice, putting patients at risk, blah blah blah. Just seeing what you post here, I wouldnt trust your judgement with 2 sheep drawn on a piece of paper, much less any medical care of mine.

Hey man, Im not even gonna hurl an insult back at you. Your posts do a pretty good job of making you look bad. My outcomes are, so far, immaculate (knocking on wood). I put patient safety first every single day. Its sad that you and Dr. Lobel love to look down on all your fellow physicians as inferior. We're all committing malpractice, putting patients at risk, blah blah blah. Just seeing what you post here, I wouldnt trust your judgement with 2 sheep drawn on a piece of paper, much less any medical care of mine.
Why you coming after me?

• Haha
Why you coming after me?
Well, because you constantly make comments questioning the quality of everyone else's care. Actually, I like your posts most of the time. Unlike pains.

Well, because you constantly make comments questioning the quality of everyone else's care. Actually, I like your posts most of the time. Unlike pains.
See Mitch's post above. Daily, I get to see things that aren't real, true, accurate, or remotely correct. CRPS patient came in today complaining of how her fat was exposed on her nerve as the sheath was stripped away. Chiro office saw it on MRI. Gave her stem cells and visco in her knee. Normal MRI report.