physician assistant (PA) program - as a Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianodude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian citizen and am about to start my fourth year at an American university. I'm currently applying for medical schools in the US and Canada, but a recent clinical experience with a physician assistant (PA) inspired me to look into the field more and consider pursuing that route.

While studying in an MD program in either country at a minimum allows me to practice within the country of the program, if I were to pursue a PA program in the States, I would have to find a PA job in the US, as there is no equivalent to the PA qualification in Canada. That seems to be a risk in studying to be a PA for foreign students.

Are there any PAs out there who were not US citizens or permanent residents when they first entered a PA school? Or, have you known any colleagues in similar situations? Was it difficult to get a hospital or a clinic to sponsor you to work there? Any hoops you had to jump through?

Any comments would be most welcome! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.