Physician Assistant question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adriel296

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once I become a PA by going through a two years master program, do I need more schooling to specialize in something inside the health care field? I heard that PA's master programs are general in nature that I can specialize in anything after the two years master program but I am confused with what other people told me recently.

As a side note, can I study further after getting a PA master degree, such as doctorate, which I heard was possible as well?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a residency in a field you really enjoy if they are available. Also you can become a Physician with the new 3yr bridge(but I would say go to med school first instead).

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont want to take the MCAT, nor do I want to go to med school. Part of it is because I am getting old, I have been studying for too long, and I need to start making money to pay for my expenses since I dont have financial support anymore. I want to do everything I can with the resources I already have. I am getting everything I need for PA school plus I am going to take the GRE soon.

Tell me more about that bridge you were talking about. Can I do the bridge from PA school without taking another entrance exam or MCAT?

That is very interesting. Also, please tell me about the doctorate for PA. What is the purpose? Is doctorate for PAs to take administrative positions or what?

read the linked info at lecom. that is all you need to know.
The lecom bridge requires a min 23 mcat.
there are currently no entry level doctorate pa programs. this will change in the next few years. PAs, just like anyone with a BS or higher degree, can pursue doctorates in public health, administrtion, or any field they choose like law, etc

The bridge program requires the MCAT and completion of all premed coursework, if I remember correctly.

The bridge program requires the MCAT and completion of all premed coursework, if I remember correctly.
partially true. they weigh the entire application and grant exceptions for certain coursework for certain folks.
the only required coursework is completion of pa school. you must get a 23 mcat.
I spoke with the director several years ago and told him I did not have ochem but had physics, genetics, stats, etc with an undergrad gpa of 3.97 and he said that likely would not be a problem and taking ochem would be optional. if they dropped the mcat requirement I would likely still apply.
from their site:
Application Requirements

Applicants to the program must:

Be Certified Physician Assistants.
Have obtained a minimum of 23 on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).
Have a minimal GPA of 2.7.
Complete an osteopathic residency

Interesting. Why is it that you must complete an osteopathic residency if you attend that program, I wonder?

Interesting. Why is it that you must complete an osteopathic residency if you attend that program, I wonder?

Fairly obvious - the "allopathic" residencies likely exclude people who do special programs such as a shortened bridge..

Fairly obvious - the "allopathic" residencies likely exclude people who do special programs such as a shortened bridge..

hmm. I did not know that. Interesting. So I wonder if grads from this program are seen as "lesser" if they aren't even able to consider an allopathic residency. That for me would be a deal breaker, though I have no desire to pursue medicine, so it's all a hypothetical anyway.

hmm. I did not know that. Interesting. So I wonder if grads from this program are seen as "lesser" if they aren't even able to consider an allopathic residency. That for me would be a deal breaker, though I have no desire to pursue medicine, so it's all a hypothetical anyway.

Once you complete residency and get board certified no one knows or cares where you went to medschool.
I know lots of DOs who did osteopathic residencies and are chiefs of depts, famous authors, etc
ever heard of sanjay gupta, do?

also more likely to go into primary care going the DO vs the MD residency route due to the # of available residencies in primary care vs specialties.
you know what they call the guy who does the lecom bridge and a family practice do residency?
They call them Doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
also more likely to go into primary care going the DO vs the MD residency route due to the # of available residencies in primary care vs specialties.
you know what they call the guy who does the lecom bridge and a family practice do residency?
They call them Doctor.

meh. I don't really care about the doctor title, especially since it's getting watered down by so many fields "upgrading" to doctorates. I understand what you're saying, though. I think if a PA feels they must go to medical school, and they're dedicated to FP, then it make sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if a PA feels they must go to medical school, and they're dedicated to FP, then it make sense.
If I went back at this point full scope fp is the only thing I would consider. I would love being "the town doc" in a small town and doing OB with c-sections, cover the er, admit my own pts, manage my own icu pts, etc. That's the perfect job in medicine as far as I am concerned. I know a bunch of docs who do this and they are likely the happiest docs I know. it can't all be about the money, job satisfaction is worth a lot. these guys probably don't make more than 225k/yr but love their jobs and are well regarded in their communities.

read the linked info at lecom. that is all you need to know.
The lecom bridge requires a min 23 mcat.
there are currently no entry level doctorate pa programs. this will change in the next few years. PAs, just like anyone with a BS or higher degree, can pursue doctorates in public health, administrtion, or any field they choose like law, etc

I read some of the information from lecom but I have been busy to go over everything. I needed short straight answers.... but thanks. I will read the rest later.

Actually, there is doctorate program for PAs. I found one website yesterday which had that information, but I can't now. I think it is a limited option. Not many places have it from what I read. Just google it. There was a forum where a guy even made a joke, where he stated a PA with a doctorate didn't sound well. He said they need to create a tittle of its own for PAs with doctorates because noone was gonna to call you a doctor. His quote, "Hi I'm Doctor Omar, your physician assistant!"

Is a 23 score in MCAT low for applicants to apply to this leom program compared to scores needed for med school or a 23 score in MCAT is still high? I mean is it doable or it is still high? If it is low, then the program in lecom is really trying to help people out. : )

Last edited:
I read some of the information from lecom but I have been busy to go over everything. I needed short straight answers.... but thanks. I will read the rest later.

Actually, there is doctorate program for PAs. I found one website yesterday which had that information, but I can't now. I think it is a limited option. Not many places have it from what I read. Just google it. There was a forum where a guy even made a joke, where he stated a PA with a doctorate didn't sound well. He said they need to create a tittle of its own for PAs with doctorates because noone was gonna to call you a doctor. His quote, "Hi I'm Doctor Omar, your physician assistant!"

)

baylor is a postgrad PA residency, not an entry level program.
wake forest is a PA, PHD program but the PHD is in a basic medical science. it is a combined program and the doctorate is not in pa.
there are a few combined pa/pharmd programs(5 I think) but the doctorate is in pharm.
like I said, no entry level pa programs grant a doctorate in pa. trust me, I would know.

wake forest is a PA, PHD program but the PHD is in a basic medical science. it is a combined program and the doctorate is not in pa.
there are a few combined pa/pharmd programs(5 I think) but the doctorate is in pharm.
like I said, no entry level pa programs grant a doctorate in pa. trust me, I would know.

Is a 23 score in MCAT low for applicants to apply to this leom program compared to scores needed for med school or a 23 score in MCAT is still high? I mean is it doable or it is still high? If it is low, then the program in lecom is really trying to help people out.

So basically a PA master is the highest degree in that field since there are no doctorates???

CORRECT. there are no entry level doctorates in pa studies yet. there will be at least 6 within the next 5 years as programs are in development.

CORRECT. there are no entry level doctorates in pa studies yet. there will be at least 6 within the next 5 years as programs are in development.

look up there for the 23 score MCAT question that I asked you, and that will conclude everything I need to know up to now. Thank you for all your help. :)

Adriel- I think you need to do a little research on your own. No one wants to spoon feed especially someone that is seriously considering joining our profession.

Wrong.
ERAS opened Sunday 9/15 and I applied only to allo programs. Got my first interview invite today--stoked!! I have had my worries (probably irrational) about being overlooked by programs because of my 3-yr track but I have a pretty competitive app and board scores, and I'm sure my APAP colleagues are even more competitive.
The osteopathic residency requirement came about after my class (the inaugural APAP class of 2014) entered. Admin thought we should "give something back" for the privilege of being admitted to this shorter track and told us we would be doing DO residencies. We successfully argued that wasn't in the agreement and would limit us (me, geographically; some of my colleagues wanted residency tracks not available in osteo). Unfortunately for the subsequent classes the DO residency requirement stuck.

look up there for the 23 score mcat question that i asked you, and that will conclude everything i need to know up to now. Thank you for all your help. :)
23 is generally considered a low mcat score.

Adriel- I think you need to do a little research on your own. No one wants to spoon feed especially someone that is seriously considering joining our profession.

Other coworkers confused me which brought me here. Your comment sounds out of place because this is the main purpose of this site to ask as many questions to the people who want to answer them. I didn't force you to clarify some of the things I already know. I came here to double check what I know. In the process found people who corrected me and told me extra information I didn't know exist, which triggered my curiosity and lead me to ask more. I am comfortable asking questions. Not everything one reads online is accurate or interpreted the right way. I thought there was a doctorate for PAs from what I read online from different websites, but someone from here explained me that it was something different and corrected me. I have tried to make appointments with my schools PA advisor and sent her messages but she doesn't reply to my emails. So not everything is what it seems. I need to get my answers one way or another. By the way, I am very focused on my goals. I have about 1,500 hours as a volunteer at my local hospital. In two weeks, I am taking the GRE. I dont understand you because this is research too.

Last edited:
Just curious, this would be somewhat of a longer way to become a DO than the usual traditional route correct? It sounds easier with the mcat removed and all but just speculating here.

Just curious, this would be somewhat of a longer way to become a DO than the usual traditional route correct? It sounds easier with the mcat removed and all but just speculating here.

It's no easier once you get in you still have to face embryo/histo/Biochem/ and deeper physio. Also think of two years of physician income lost

YES, at a min it adds an extra yr:
(2 yrs pa+ 3 yrs do)> 4 yrs regular route.