• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

voiddweller

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
35
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the anesthesiologist assistant profession? I am considering all of my options, but would like to get the opinion of experienced professionals such as yourselves.

It would seem that AA school would be alot more competitive than PA school since there are only 3 schools now. It also seems that AAs are not as flexible as PAs, but they do make more money in general. Both professions sound great. Could someone provide me with thier experiences with AA?

Also, is anyone PA/AA dual certified? I may consider that route, since my chances are probably greater to get into a PA program now and become AA certified while I am a PA. I appreciate your time in advance.
 

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,014
301
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
CHECK OUT THE ANESTHESIA FORUM AT WWW.PHYSICIANASSOCIATE.COM
THE MODERATOR OVER THERE IS AN AA
THERE ARE LOTS OF DUAL CERT AA/PA FOLKS BUT NO DUAL CERT PROGRAMS.
SOME AA PROGRAMS WILL GIVE PARTIAL CREDIT FOR COURSES DONE IN PA SCHOOL
PA'S CAN WORK IN ALL 50 STATES AND US TERRITORIES AS WELL AS A RAPIDLY EXPANDING # OF FOREIGN COUNTRIES.
AA'S CURRENTLY WORK ONLY IN 16 STATES BUT THIS IS INCREASING YEARLY. AA SCOPE OF PRACTICE IS EQUIVALENT TO CRNA AND THE PAY IS THE SAME.
 

voiddweller

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
35
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
emedpa said:
CHECK OUT THE ANESTHESIA FORUM AT WWW.PHYSICIANASSOCIATE.COM
THE MODERATOR OVER THERE IS AN AA
THERE ARE LOTS OF DUAL CERT AA/PA FOLKS BUT NO DUAL CERT PROGRAMS.
SOME AA PROGRAMS WILL GIVE PARTIAL CREDIT FOR COURSES DONE IN PA SCHOOL
PA'S CAN WORK IN ALL 50 STATES AND US TERRITORIES AS WELL AS A RAPIDLY EXPANDING # OF FOREIGN COUNTRIES.
AA'S CURRENTLY WORK ONLY IN 16 STATES BUT THIS IS INCREASING YEARLY. AA SCOPE OF PRACTICE IS EQUIVALENT TO CRNA AND THE PAY IS THE SAME.

As always emedpa you have been a great help. I would prefer the flexibility of a PA over an AA. Are you dual PA/AA certified?
 
About the Ads

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,014
301
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
voiddweller said:
As always emedpa you have been a great help. I would prefer the flexibility of a PA over an AA. Are you dual PA/AA certified?
I wish.....
AA is a great career and I think we will see over the next 20 yrs or so that they will be used more and in a greater geographic area.as the crna folks get on the wrong side of md anesthesiologists by pushing for independent practice I think you will see md anesthesiologists hiring AA's over crna's because the AA folks are not looking to be independent and favor an anesthesia team approach as opposed to a solo cowboy approach.
 

nitecap

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
359
0
Status
All depends what you wanna do. AA's and PA's a totally different unless you are an AA and PA having dual privelages.

If you want to administer anesthesia and work in the OR go AA. If you want to do other things like work with different specially doc (cardio, GI, derm, IM) ect then do PA. Just all depends what you are more interested in.

There are opportunites with both careers, you prob. cant go wrong with either. PA's more established while AA's attempting to increase numbers. Only time will tell.
 

guetzow

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
1,866
2
Status
Greetings money-board SDNers!!
But really, as far as the 'clinical' end of that question (was there one?)....these two professions are so unnnnnnnnrealated. What is it you want to "DO". That should point you in the right direction ;)
 

AlexCCRN

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
12
0
Status
Non-Student
emedpa said:
I wish.....
AA is a great career and I think we will see over the next 20 yrs or so that they will be used more and in a greater geographic area.as the crna folks get on the wrong side of md anesthesiologists by pushing for independent practice I think you will see md anesthesiologists hiring AA's over crna's because the AA folks are not looking to be independent and favor an anesthesia team approach as opposed to a solo cowboy approach.
This pablum you spew is so typical of jackasses like you...
 

guetzow

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
1,866
2
Status
Comin' home to roost ain't it :D
 

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
3,750
978
Atlanta, GA
AlexCCRN said:
This pablum you spew is so typical of jackasses like you...
Geez, I can't believe I missed this thread.

Obviously you didn't Alex - same old ****, different board. :laugh:
 

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
6,014
301
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
jwk said:
Geez, I can't believe I missed this thread.

Obviously you didn't Alex - same old ****, different board. :laugh:
don't worry jwk -he's all but banned at another forum already.....
 

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
3,750
978
Atlanta, GA
emedpa said:
don't worry jwk -he's all but banned at another forum already.....
definitely not worried about trollers
 
About the Ads