Physician Salary Data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was working through the AAMC website and found this document, which looks to be a scan of an article in a magazine. It contains compensation data from many different surveys to provide a range of salaries, though the breadth of specialties that's included is fairly limited. The figures are total "cash compensation," which includes salary and bonuses but not benefits.

Enjoy.

https://www.aamc.org/download/48732/data/compensation.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the share. some specialties are making way more money than i thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the share. some specialties are making way more money than i thought.

Spine surgeons making $2mil a year should not be considered the norm for physicians...

Spine surgeons making $2mil a year should not be considered the norm for physicians...

No longer even normal for spine. New reimbursement rules make billing vertebral level by level illegal, with the result that spine is no longer nearly as lucrative, and a lot of those guys are scrambling to get up to speed on other ortho procedures.

There's a medscape salary list published this year which lists a pretty tight range of median physician salaries with the top earners being ortho and rads earning about 350k average and the low end of the salaries being peds averaging around 148k. I think that range is pretty accurate. There will be outliers in both directions. But the "loophole" that allowed spine to be so lucrative for a number of years has been closed. Any salary survey not reflecting that is based on older data.

Last edited: