Physician shadowing - not marked as most meaningful. A fatal mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ateosp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Im up on the fence about this. As of right now i want to expand on my working experience (I worked full time for half of my undergrad and part time for the rest), a volunteer program that i served with and planned for 3 years, and my Hospice experience. I dont want to make the mistake and convey that physician shadowing wasn't meaningful. Also a side note, I touched upon shadowing (but not in detail) on my personal statement.

Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Mark whatever was really the most meaningful for you. I would think most people wouldn't put shadowing for this but instead an EC activity that they were invested in.

Definitely not a mistake.

Shadowing is meant to give you an understanding of the profession, not provide you with meaningful experiences. Considering you don't do much in most shadowing experiences, I wouldn't expect it to be as meaningful as other, more active ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Won't matter. As an interviewer, I essentially use the most meaningful designation as a sign that says, "please ask me about these activities." When I'm prepping for an interview, I read the entirety of the PS and the most meaningful activities but skim the remainder. My guess is that other interviewers who are also busy do something similar.

Don't metagame yourself into doing something stupid and nonsensical. The activities that were most meaningful to you should - check this out - be the ones you mark about meaningful on your app.

Sent from my SGH-M919

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to agree with everyone else on this thread. I lumped all of my shadowing together into one of my AMCAS activities and did not designate it as "most important." My 1300-character (or whatever it was) description was a simple list of what kinds of doctors I had shadowed and the number of hours for each. I got into some good schools, so I'm guessing it didn't hurt me.

Shadowing is an important part of exploring whether a career in medicine is going to be a good fit for you. But honestly, it's a pretty passive activity -- just stand around and watch and occasionally ask questions -- and I'd be a little weirded out if it was one of the three most meaningful things you've done.

The most meaningful experience section is very new. It won't make a difference which one you pick as long as you explain yourself. You don't even need to fill out all three spots.

Have a good reason and you're set.