Physician vs nurse practitioner vs neuropsychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-of-all-trades

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a college freshman and have applied for the fall 2017 nursing program at my local college with plans to eventually become a nurse practitioner but I am starting to question my decision.

I have the classic story of I have always wanted to be a doctor from a small child and I still have a strong urge to be one. I have a strong interest in medicine and am enthralled with the idea of becoming a surgeon. I am not as much interested in direct patient care as i am with the ideas more leaning toward surgery, pathology, and anesthesiology. I am just worried about time. I am a musician and a entertainer and i would also like to have a family and i am worried that I would not have enough time as a doctor.

On the other hand I am worried that being a nurse would not be challenging enough for me. I have a love of science and research and I am concerned that nursing will not have that for me.

Recently I have discovered that I have a strong interest in psychology and neuroscience. I am also now considering getting a PhD in neuropsychology and becoming a clinical neuropyschologist. I also have an interest in teaching so I am also considering teaching psychology at a university with the PhD.

I know this is a lot but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on which one would be the best for me that is challenging enough but still gives me time for other things?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're all over the place my friend. Get some real exposure to all those different fields and narrow down what you're most drawn to, because you seem to like the "idea" of a lot of those options without really knowing what they entail (e.g. being enthralled with the idea of being a surgeon but not wanting to be involved in direct patient care..). We can't make this decision for you.

Reactions: 1 users
You're all over the place my friend. Get some real exposure to all those different fields and narrow down what you're most drawn to, because you seem to like the "idea" of a lot of those options without really knowing what they entail (e.g. being enthralled with the idea of being a surgeon but not wanting to be involved in direct patient care..). We can't make this decision for you.

I agree. All over the place, which is normal.

Step 1 is getting a better idea of what each of those professions actually do.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I also agree. You're just starting off as a freshman, you've got a lot of time to figure out where you want to head in life. Definitely get out there into the actual environment that these profession occupy, and get some experience seeing what they are really like. That's what will help you make your decisions. Don't be quick to put any down on your list though, especially don't toss away the prospect of nursing as "not complicated", I'm sure you can find many nurses who will disagree with you strongly.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Im going to get out there and do some shadowing

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the advice

Im going to get out there and do some shadowing

Maybe hold off on going to nursing school in the fall until you are more set on it.... Knock out all of your pre-reqs for graduation and gain experience in all of the fields you're interested in

Career services may also be helpful, but these are sometimes hit or miss. Good luck! As a freshman in college, you have PLENTY of time to decide what you want to do. Explore and have fun in college, it'll figure itself out :)