Physics 6ABC Series at UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnYpaJY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any UCLA premeds here that have taken this series and are willing to share their experience?

How did you do in each course (grade), and who was your professor for each one? Which professor(s) do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the 6 series a year ago. Overall, not hard at all if you put in the time. However, the exams reflect the sample exams the professors give out. Students could memorize the sample exams and get As. But I don't think this is the way to go because you're going to need a solid foundation for the PS section of the MCAT and you can't really memorize physics.

take arisaka for 6B... i know he still teaches it. easiest class i ever took, science or otherwise. he basically GIVES you what's gonna be on the exam during the review session a few days before.

Members don't see this ad :)
i second the suggestion to take arisaka for 6B the man is amazing!

Are there any UCLA premeds here that have taken this series and are willing to share their experience?

How did you do in each course (grade), and who was your professor for each one? Which professor(s) do you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

A is simply/straight forward, B is hard ... no way of getting around it. The curve will save your life ... we had a midterm with an average of 19/50.
C is the easiest in my opinion ... optics is interesting and light isn't too difficult. C was my favorite and my highest grade.

i have to admit that physics at UCLA was pretty hard.. getting C is a breeze though

a big +1million to taking 6B with Arisaka. Best science class you'll take at UCLA :D

6A is generally pretty easy from what I've heard, but you can also be pretty easily screwed over by the professor - when I took it, they didn't have anyone else to teach it but one of the profs who usually taught the 1 series - his tests were impossible.

6C, like others have said, is also a great, stress-free class for the most part. Light and optics aren't too bad.

Are there any professors that I should stay away from for the 6ABC series?

Thanks for the help.

6b professors not named arisaka

Why don't you just look at the professor review section on Bruinwalk.com...? As with most classes, your experience will largely depend on your professor and it's not always possible to get the one you want

I feel like 75% of SDN members hail from UCLA sometimes.

UCLA premeds are the sheeet. Usually the good premeds at UCLA come here.

By all means, take the honors series. I was not an honors student, but I enrolled in 6ah,bh,ch no problem. I did really well too (A, A+,A+), and that isn't because I'm a genius. The honors series has a much more generous curve, which buts average between a B and B+ instead of the usual C+ and B- of most of UCLA. The classes are smaller, and the material is centered around biophysics. You use a course reader instead of the Serway/Jewett (spelling?) book. The labs are also a little different. Overall, the honors series is much better. You have to take ah in fall, bh in winter, and ch in spring though. That is the only time they're offered. Good luck!

I had a guy named Wallny or Wally or something for 6B who was great. Extremely smart, very cool with grades/tests, etc.

That prof is teaching this quarter. Wallny to be correct.

Honors series? Anyone else do this and think the same way?

n3opologist is dead on. we actually took the classes together and benefited from the honors series in many ways (including a great LOR).

Def take the honors series. You get to know your professors on a much more personal level, the curve is amazing, the teachers are much more approachable, and the material is more relevant to a pre-med and more applicable to the MCAT (topics not tested on the MCAT are removed from the curriculum!). We took Bruinsma for 6BH and Bozovic for 6AH and 6CH. Bozovic is THE BEST. Bruinsma is a little more tough but a great teacher, extremely knowledgable. I also did very well in these classes; A, A+, and A+

Good luck.

I had a guy named Wallny or Wally or something for 6B who was great. Extremely smart, very cool with grades/tests, etc.

That prof is teaching this quarter. Wallny to be correct.

Honors series? Anyone else do this and think the same way?

I actually had Wallny for an honors addition class (a 1 unit class that I took along with physics). i had a different professor for the actual class. it was Physics 6A. Wallny was a very good professor and I actually attended his lectures even though I was not enrolled in his class (our exams were the same though). I'd definitely recommend Wallny.

I actually had Wallny for an honors addition class (a 1 unit class that I took along with physics). i had a different professor for the actual class. it was Physics 6A. Wallny was a very good professor and I actually attended his lectures even though I was not enrolled in his class (our exams were the same though). I'd definitely recommend Wallny.

:thumbup: Definitely a cool guy.