1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Physics Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Glycerin, May 6, 2004.

1. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    To those of you who've taken physics:

I'm terrified of the class! I began taking it last fall, but I withdrew after a few weeks because transportation problems (my school was an hour away). Anyway, I'm taking it this summer, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about physics. I'm going to be taking this algebra-based physics. Is there any kind of study guide or website that anyone would recommend? Thanks. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

Is it physics 1 or physics 2? I loved physics 1 (falling objects, etc), but was bored to tears in physics 2 (optics, electromagnetism). There's a long running joke around here that "physics saves lives".

"As part of the standard curriculum in a pre-med college, the
    students had to take a difficult class in physics. One day, the
    professor was discussing a particularly complicated concept.

Part way through the class, a student rudely interrupted to ask, 'Why do
    we have to learn this stuff?'

'To save lives,' the professor responded quickly and continued the
    lecture.

A few minutes later, the same student spoke up again. 'So how does
    physics save lives?' he persisted.

'It keeps idiots like you out of medical school,'
    replied the professor.
    ;)

4. Glycerin

Pharmacist
    Actually, I'm taking both physics 1 and 2 this summer. :eek: I did this last year with Bio 1 and 2. The summer session total is 14 weeks - 7 weeks for physics 1 and 7 weeks for physics 2. I begin May 17.

And about the joke - LMAO! That's great. :) :thumbup:

5. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Physics was pretty difficult, even though I'm good at math. I took mine at Saint Leo, which is about 25 minutes north of USF. The good thing there is that the lab is included with the lecture grade, so the A you get in lab gets factored into the overall grade. Also, part of our grade was homework so I was able to find equivalent problems by googling key words. That helped a lot, too.

6. Glycerin

Pharmacist
    Ooh! I never thought about that. That would be useful. Thanks!

My microbiology class was (and in the fall, my D. Bac class will be) lecture/lab-combined grading. I think it was helpful to everyone. :)

7. spacecowgirl

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist

I could not agree more - physics I = swell, physics II = :sleep: :sleep:

Funny joke, but I have got to go with the student on that one, I have yet to see the relevance of physics for anyone but a physics major (who the hell would major in physics anyway?!?!?).

8. EarlyEditionDude

EarlyEditionDude Membership Revoked
    Removed

You should check out the MCAT forum. There are a lot of great advices and book recommendations that will help you with physics.

9. Modnar

Modnar Mmm... workahol
    7+ Year Member

Get good lab partners and study with them. If your professor's approachable, go talk to him/her during office hours. If you don't have good lab partners or the prof's a jerk, befriend an engineering major and ask him/her to help you. Other people were a lot more helpful to me than the books.

Also, you may want to brush up on basic geometry stuff - volume of a sphere, circumfrence of a circle, things like that. The worst thing for me this semester has been knowing the right physics equation for a problem but then having to go "wait, is the volume 4/3 pi r^2 or 4 pi r^3?"

10. spacecowgirl

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I also bought the "Physics for Dummies" book which can sometimes explain concepts in a much simpler way. Sometimes profs go off on theory and crap and you're just like, just tell me how high the ball was dropped from ok? I don't care about from whence the equation was derived, just show me how to do it :laugh: They also make Physics (and lots of other subjects) Cliff notes, but they are not nearly as helpful.

11. Glycerin

Pharmacist
    Thanks! I just looked at that forum, and they seem to highly praise the NOVA MCAT Physics book, so I'm looking into that one. :)