Physics After Applying. Is there aDeadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RebYid1613

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone is staying safe.

I know it is acceptable to take physic after applying to dental school as long as all the other requirements are fulfilled. Being an accounting major, I must take certain classes to fulfill my major and wish to take physics the summer before (2021) dental school. This coming Fall will be my last semester before graduating.

Does anyone have any experience or know if there is a deadline that dental schools require to complete physics by? I can't imagine that they will allow you to finish physics a mere week or 2 before starting dental school.

Not sure if it matters but my Science GPA is a 3.7 with my overall GPA a 3.8 . I am taking the DAT in July.

Thanks so much and be safe!

Members don't see this ad.

The deadline to finish classes is generally May or June before you matriculate in the fall. I would check with certain schools if you want more specific dates though!

Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone is staying safe.

I know it is acceptable to take physic after applying to dental school as long as all the other requirements are fulfilled. Being an accounting major, I must take certain classes to fulfill my major and wish to take physics the summer before (2021) dental school. This coming Fall will be my last semester before graduating.

Does anyone have any experience or know if there is a deadline that dental schools require to complete physics by? I can't imagine that they will allow you to finish physics a mere week or 2 before starting dental school.

Not sure if it matters but my Science GPA is a 3.7 with my overall GPA a 3.8 . I am taking the DAT in July.

Thanks so much and be safe!

I would be cautious about finishing the physics course a week or two before matriculation. You can encounter unexpected delays and you do not want to have an extra burden placed on you during that important time.

Members don't see this ad :)

Technically all prerequisites must be completed before matriculation. Practically, all final transcripts are due at least a month before matriculation so your prerequisites must be completed and graded by then. Don't schedule taking any prerequisites in the summer. Enough schools know this is not prudent and are not willing to extend offers to applicants who do not finish prerequisites.

Also, understand that most applicants will have prereq grades in-hand when they apply so not having them will put your behind for many schools (meaning they will not consider interviewing you unless you have maybe one prereq course left and would be currently taking it for fall semester).

Reactions: 1 user
Technically all prerequisites must be completed before matriculation. Practically, all final transcripts are due at least a month before matriculation so your prerequisites must be completed and graded by then. Don't schedule taking any prerequisites in the summer. Enough schools know this is not prudent and are not willing to extend offers to applicants who do not finish prerequisites.

Also, understand that most applicants will have prereq grades in-hand when they apply so not having them will put your behind for many schools (meaning they will not consider interviewing you unless you have maybe one prereq course left and would be currently taking it for fall semester).

That is good advice.

Reactions: 1 user