physics and inorgo prep, unimpressive gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luctoretemergo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been a lurker here for quite some time but decided to sign up yesterday after being on the site all weekend in b/t studying for finals. I've been debating the last 2 years on medical school, but as of last year I sort of gave up on the idea due to my GPA being so low (3.5). I'm a double major in biochemistry and biology and have gotten biochem 1 &2, o.chem 1&2, gen chem, biology 1&2, and molecular bio and genetics so far. I've gotten a semester of physics (calc-based) out of the way and will be taking physics 2 (although algebra based b/c calcbased interferes with my biochem2 enyzme lab) in spring. I know you can study on subjects you haven't taken yet and do fine on the mcat, so my first question is, should I buy additional material on inorganic since I haven't taken it yet, and physics in addition to the EK series I plan on buying? I've read through about 100 posts on recommended material and I've come to the conclusion that I want to get the EK series, EK verbal and EK 101 verbal passages, and EK 1001 q's on bio. Maybe the Kaplan comprehensive as an alternate source of background information as well unless you have other suggestions for that. I'm not sure what phsyics prep to buy however.
Also, I am curious if my double major and double minor will be taken into account when my low GPA is seen (I am working my A off to get it up at least to a 3.6 before applying). I am doing my undergrad at IU if that matters at all. And what MCAT minimum do you think I would need to be considered at all? (I do plan on having a pretty solid admissions statement explaining how my battle with anorexia in highschool has fueled my passion for medicine and helping others.)

Sorry for the questions, I guess I am just a bit worried, because as a junior I've procrasinated on the decision and now I have to pick up pace hardcore to make up for lost time. All of my friends are in the "KAPLAN course" so of course I feel like a bit of a slacker without a chance compared to there knowledge of the MCAT subjects thus far.

Thanks for reading all of that and for any help you can offer =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I've been a lurker here for quite some time but decided to sign up yesterday after being on the site all weekend in b/t studying for finals.
Hey! Welcome to SDN :hello:
I've been debating the last 2 years on medical school, but as of last year I sort of gave up on the idea due to my GPA being so low (3.5).
A 3.5 is no "so low." Sure, it's lower than average...but you can easily make up for your lower GPA with a higher MCAT!
I'm a double major in biochemistry and biology and have gotten biochem 1 &2, o.chem 1&2, gen chem, biology 1&2, and molecular bio and genetics so far. I've gotten a semester of physics (calc-based) out of the way and will be taking physics 2 (although algebra based b/c calcbased interferes with my biochem2 enyzme lab) in spring. I know you can study on subjects you haven't taken yet and do fine on the mcat, so my first question is, should I buy additional material on inorganic since I haven't taken it yet, and physics in addition to the EK series I plan on buying?
No, it's not necessary. You have a really good science background being a biochem/bio double major. You really don't need textbooks to supplement the EK series or any other MCAT books.

I've read through about 100 posts on recommended material and I've come to the conclusion that I want to get the EK series, EK verbal and EK 101 verbal passages, and EK 1001 q's on bio. Maybe the Kaplan comprehensive as an alternate source of background information as well unless you have other suggestions for that. I'm not sure what phsyics prep to buy however.
I think EK physics isn't the best...I liked Kaplan. TPR is also good. I never tried TBR, but I've heard great things about their gchem/phys material.

Also, I am curious if my double major and double minor will be taken into account when my low GPA is seen (I am working my A off to get it up at least to a 3.6 before applying). I am doing my undergrad at IU if that matters at all. And what MCAT minimum do you think I would need to be considered at all? (I do plan on having a pretty solid admissions statement explaining how my battle with anorexia in highschool has fueled my passion for medicine and helping others.)
Your double major won't help you too much (sorry!). Your GPA, if you can bring it up to a 3.6, is decent! There's no minimum MCAT score that will guarantee you an acceptance. Most aim for a 30+...but you also must have good ECs, LORs, and PS/secondary essays. So, I say try to get that MCAT scored as high as possible.
Sorry for the questions, I guess I am just a bit worried, because as a junior I've procrasinated on the decision and now I have to pick up pace hardcore to make up for lost time. All of my friends are in the "KAPLAN course" so of course I feel like a bit of a slacker without a chance compared to there knowledge of the MCAT subjects thus far.

Thanks for reading all of that and for any help you can offer =)
You're not late! You could always take a year off if you have to. :luck:

I know you can study on subjects you haven't taken yet and do fine on the mcat, so my first question is, should I buy additional material on inorganic since I haven't taken it yet, and physics in addition to the EK series I plan on buying?

As far as I understand, mcat doesn't cover *inorganic* chemistry, only general and organic chemistry. So you should be covered on that front. Inorganic is an upper-level chem course most pre-meds never even see, unless they are chem majors/minors (or biochem, or other closely related). Although I've heard some people refer to general chemistry as "inorganic", which has always confused me.

As far as I understand, mcat doesn't cover *inorganic* chemistry, only general and organic chemistry. So you should be covered on that front. Inorganic is an upper-level chem course most pre-meds never even see, unless they are chem majors/minors (or biochem, or other closely related). Although I've heard some people refer to general chemistry as "inorganic", which has always confused me.

thanks for clarification...i guess this is why I don't listen to my chem advisor anymore, he told me to take MCATS after taking inorganic, which would put me at a later aug/early sep mcat testing date.

I think a lot of school sites will say they require inorganic chemistry instead of just saying general chemistry. I've noticed quite a few people ask about that.