Physics at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heavens Cloud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I took the first semester of General Physics at my 4 year University, and I received an A grade, but I hated the professor and didn't feel that it was a good use of my time (other than for the A). The second semester professor was just as bad, so I ended up dropping his class (before a W). I was NOT going to risk a bad grade for my Junior GPA!

Would it look particularly bad to take the other semester (or two quarters) at a community college? I have shown that I can do well at the 4 year level (my first two years were at community college, got a 4.0 my first semester at the 4year). The professor that's at a nearby CC is really good, I have friends who have taken from him, just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Despite what alot of people say, i think its fine
I take alot of gen eds at community colleges over the summer because they are extremely easy compared to my university, I also plan on taking calculus at my CC this summer instead of with a bunch of engineering students at my university, heard alot of the professors are awful here for calc..Take it at a CC it wont hurt

Despite what alot of people say, i think its fine
I take alot of gen eds at community colleges over the summer because they are extremely easy compared to my university, I also plan on taking calculus at my CC this summer instead of with a bunch of engineering students at my university, heard alot of the professors are awful here for calc..Take it at a CC it wont hurt

I agree. Atleast I don't think it should matter. I know of JC's with great science departments and I know of 4 year Universities (even UC's :eek:) with horrible departments. If you've already done really well at your 4 year their shouldnt be any problem defending taking physics at a CC (not saying you'll have to defend it).

Members don't see this ad :)
Over half of the students here take summer school (it seems that way at least), because it's hard to get classes during the school year. I was told it was best to take your classes at your university, but I don't get why taking a class during summer at a CC to save money could be so bad. If anything, you'd learn the material better. I'd take the second semester of physics over the summer at a CC.

Over half of the students here take summer school (it seems that way at least), because it's hard to get classes during the school year. I was told it was best to take your classes at your university, but I don't get why taking a class during summer at a CC to save money could be so bad. If anything, you'd learn the material better. I'd take the second semester of physics over the summer at a CC.

"to save money" is a good, legit reply to an adcom, if it even comes up.

Do it, there's no problem. I'm probably going to take most of my pre-reqs here at CC. The only thing that matters is for you to take some upper level courses at a university then your set. That right there proves you can handle science courses.

Applying to med school is a competitive process. CC classes are usually less rigorous, so someone taking relatively more prereqs at a CC can easily be viewed as having a weaker academic record than someone whose prereqs were taken at a 4 year school. Will it always matter - no. But doing so certainly doesn't strengthen your app.

This question comes up repeatedly, and typically the respondents saying that it doesn't matter are CC students. For the many people for whom money is an issue, you need to figure that work/loans/financial aid will be needed to allow you to spend enough time at a 4 year college to prove yourself.

It's fine to take a few classes at a CC. I got in to med school (and pharm school) and I took Orgo II and A&P after I graduated at a local CC. However, if it is a pattern where you take every pre-req at a CC while enrolled full time at a 4 year university during the year, then it's going to raise some red flags. Namely, if you're at a 4 year school, why have you not enrolled in those classes there?

Do it, there's no problem. I'm probably going to take most of my pre-reqs here at CC. The only thing that matters is for you to take some upper level courses at a university then your set. That right there proves you can handle science courses.

I'm taking Ochem at my 4year (got an A first semester) and I'm doing great in Biochemistry so far, so I don't think the upper level courses issue will come up.

Thanks for the input, I may try to take it at another nearby 4year or at the CC, it will really depend on the schedule. Good to know I have the option though!

It's fine to take a few classes at a CC. I got in to med school (and pharm school) and I took Orgo II and A&P after I graduated at a local CC. However, if it is a pattern where you take every pre-req at a CC while enrolled full time at a 4 year university during the year, then it's going to raise some red flags. Namely, if you're at a 4 year school, why have you not enrolled in those classes there?
I agree. Most schools didn't care that I took physics 2 at a cc, but it was after undergrad. In your case it will probably look like you want an easy A.

I agree. Most schools didn't care that I took physics 2 at a cc, but it was after undergrad. In your case it will probably look like you want an easy A.

Well, yeah, but it's really not the case, but I can see how it could be perceived as such. I'll definitely consider that when I make the decision. I think I'll still be glad even if I take it next year because it won't be a part of my Weighted GPA in my Junior year, so I would be able to live with a B or something :D

Also I should mention I attend a satellite campus for a four year university. Same degree, but the physics department seriously lacks competent professors.

Sorry to bump my own thread from 8 months ago, but it's coming to registration time and I wanted some more opinions.

I'm currently sitting at a 3.85/3.83c/sGPA and I have a few options. I was going to just suck it up and do phys 102 at the 4 year, but my school made the schedule so it conflicts with Physiology, which I also wanted to take.

So my options are:

1) Take Physics 202 (Calc based, I got an A in calc I but it's been a year and it'd be tough)

2) Take Physics 102 (2 quarters) at CC.

3) figure out a class to take besides physiology? I really want physiology though.

I think I've shown that I can do well in upper division classes (A- Biochem, 11 credits of 4.0 in Organic Chemistry(I, II, lab)), but I also think it might be weird listing community college classes during my enrollment at the 4 year (although it's a direct transfer of credits for the 2 quarters --> 1 semester).

Would these reasons for adcoms be okay?

1) Schedule didn't fit, I didn't feel like it would be worth my time to take calc- based physics
2) CC is much cheaper.

I'm planning on taking Chemistry at my local CC. The class there counts as 2 chemistry course sequences, versus my one at the university. It'll allow me to get ahead a semester since I'm so far behind and save some money. I think it's fine to take a few elsewhere, like others have said.