Physics at Harvard over the Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamboy192

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was planning on taking both sequences of physics over next summer (2011) at Harvard. The main reason for doing this is because it is non-calculus based and my undergrad doesnt offer non-calculus based physics. I was wondering if taking physics over the summer would hurt my chances of admission into medical school if adcoms consider physics over the summer as easier, non-calculus based, etc.

If anyone has any experience also that would be great.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I was planning on taking both sequences of physics over next summer (2011) at Harvard. The main reason for doing this is because it is non-calculus based and my undergrad doesnt offer non-calculus based physics. I was wondering if taking physics over the summer would hurt my chances of admission into medical school if adcoms consider physics over the summer as easier, non-calculus based, etc.

If anyone has any experience also that would be great.

thanks

dont take it at a community college is about the only advice you'll hear. everything else is fine. good luck!

I wouldn't even worry too much about taking it at a CC, but it's best to avoid that if you don't absolutely have to do it. Summer courses in general are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Courses over the summer aren't necessarily easier. Granted, they tend to cover the material in a broader fashion, but you are still taking the midterm after like 6 classes, so what it lacks in depth it makes up for in pace and volume. Also I don't think schools care about algebra vs calc based physics. What is important is understanding the concepts, not so much the math, which is mainly plug and play. Concepts are what is tested on the MCAT anyway.

At least during the year, Harvard Extension courses are really good with great professors. I would imagine the summer program is similar. It won't hurt you for applying to medical school (especially physics... I didn't even take physics except for AP, and I got into and interviewed at tons of schools that require it - and not AP - that said it wouldn't matter)

Why take it at Harvard? Why not take it at a local community or state school? It just seems that tuition at Harvard is so much compared to the two option above. Physics is Physics is Physics; believe me, I teach it at the collegiate level and have taught several different gneral/intorductory physics courses/labs. I would even go as far as saying that there is not a significant difference in difficulty of calc-based physics vs. algebra-based physics because the calculus that is general used is so elementary. If you have any more questions message me. Also, I would caution you not to let what the admissions people at medical schools dictate what course sequence you take and where; I would be much more interested in what your undergrad advisor has to say in the matter because, after all, you won't be going to medical school if you don't finish your undergrad.

Why take it at Harvard? Why not take it at a local community or state school? It just seems that tuition at Harvard is so much compared to the two option above. Physics is Physics is Physics; believe me, I teach it at the collegiate level and have taught several different gneral/intorductory physics courses/labs.

+1

You'll now have to wait and submit two separate transcripts instead of just taking it at your home institution. If you're thinking here that spending time at Harvard will make you look smarter or more attractive as an applicant, I don't think the payoff would be worth the cost. If your undergraduate school is somewhere where you'll pay just as much, that's one thing, but credit from any school is fine. An A in physics is an A in physics, and it's your MCAT PS score that's more important. Save the money and spend it on a prep course or copies of ExamKrackers and take the physics class at your home school, non-calc based if necessary... that's not a big deal.

Might be less expensive if there family lives in MA and they go to school out of state. You know, before jumping on them and all.

I would go with whatever works best though. Expense/location (near friends/family) are more important than what type of school.

I'm going to disagree with people saying that calculus based physics doesn't matter. It doesn't matter much, but if you feel more comfortable, and the expense/location isn't a problem, I don't think it's a bad decision to take whichever you are more comfortable with.

or... just learn calculus and take it at your school for free

as long as you take physics SOMEWHERE I think you're good. Harvard? State U? Same ****. From my experience taking summer courses at other schools means more hassle during application process where you have to send transcript requests to them to send to AMCAS which then they lose and you wait around and call and send again .... yeah you get the point.

Take it at MIT, I heard their curve is mad easy. Kids there have no clue with physics. Guaranteed A.

well originally i was planning at taking it at my home institution, but the summer session extends from may 15 until august 12 while harvard is only seven weeks. I have a BC 5 so I think i could take calculus-based physics but i really wouldn't want to do it during the year on top of orgo and i also wouldnt want to spend 3 months over the summer at my home institution. Also I feel that my undergrad is too pretentious to accept credit at my home state school.