Physics content review!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it that when material of the greatest index refraction bends light the most, it will create a focal point that IS CLOSER TO THE LENS?

I don’t understand the last part, how does bending light closer to the normal create a focal length closer to the lens? The focal length is where rays intersect so I thought the location where the light refracts doesn’t change?

Members don't see this ad.

Draw a ray tracing diagram with 3 rays. You’ll see that rays which bend more sharply converge at a closer point, ie the focal point is closer to the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
So the greater the n, the more the light bends toward the normal, the smaller the focal length?

What about the shorter the wavelength, the more the light refracts away from the normal, the shorter the focal length?

The shorter the wavelength, the more the light refracts, greater angle from the normal, thus a shorter focal length. This was alluded to in TBR when it said violet light has a shorter focal length then red light.

But this would seem to reject what I said previously about greater n.
Since n and wavelength are indirectly proportional.