Physics: General or Calculus-Based?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tim_freddie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student at IU Bloomington and we have two physics courses: P201 (Algebra-based) and P221 (Calculus-based).

Which physics class will look better to medical schools/selective medical schools for applications? The only difference in the transcript is that 201 (algebra physics) will be listed as General Physics I on a transcript, and P221 will be listed as Physics I on a transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't matter. Choose the course you enjoy and will get an A in...

Reactions: 1 user
Algebra. This is the only physics needed on the MCAT and therefore the only thing you need for med school as long as it has a lab.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your algebra is good, then you will have no issues with MCAT physics. So choose the calculus-based if want a challenge.

Honestly, if you're confident you can get A go calculus based.

I've heard from more than one person associated with medical admissions that taking calculus based physics and getting a high mark is something that can actually make you stand out among pre-meds, same with taking and scoring well in higher level mathematics classes and non-medicine related science classes.

Fact is, they get a million algebra based physics A's but rarely get students with good scores in calc based. I will also say I got a perfect score in the physics/chemistry section on my MCAT and having taken the calc based physics really helped with that. I know algebra is the only part that's actually on it, but knowing the principles at a deeper level if you can afford the time will pay dividends towards being able to derive solutions instead of memorize them.

Reactions: 1 users
Taking calc based versus algebra based probably won’t give you much of a boost, and you won’t need anything but algebra based on the MCAT. That said, if you are good at math and want to really understand the physics, take calc based. Personally, I think you get a fuller understanding of what’s going on by doing it with calc than by just memorizing a bunch of algebra. But I’m a little biased being a mathematician.

I'd only take calc-based physics if you're required to or are legitimately interested in the subject and willing to put in extra work.

Algebra-based is generally graded easier, though not as well taught.