Physics in Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr MnM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, how much physics do you actually use in podiatry?

Members don't see this ad.

There is conceptual physics, but little mathematical physics. The most you will do with numbers is use a protractor to measure angles.

At least this is the case in my experience thus far.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is conceptual physics, but little mathematical physics. The most you will do with numbers is use a protractor to measure angles.

This.

The days of projectile motion are gone :)

It's all about angles between bones of the foot, unless you start getting into gait and whatnot I would think.

I'm finishing my first semester of physics and taking the MCAT in may. My conclusion? Physics sucks.

Just to add, understanding the "conceptual" stuff will make Biomechanics a lot easier IMO. A lot of people initially struggle with the planes and axis' of motions and how they relate to various pathologies in the foot and ankle. The more physics "makes sense" to you, the easier the above topics (for example) are to learn and the quicker you can move through the material presented in class. The faster you commit that to memory, the better you do in later Pod courses (for us that's currently Pod Sx)

I didn't enjoy physics in undergrad, but I enjoy biomechanics in podiatry school.

Physics was one of the reasons I hated being a chem major - we haddock to take calculus based physics while bio majors get away with algebra based physics...

Physics was one of the reasons I hated being a chem major - we haddock to take calculus based physics while bio majors get away with algebra based physics...
Same! I thought my school was literally the only school that made their chem majors do that.

Although calculus based physics was a walk in the park compared to physical chemistry, IMO.

I always loved physics, calculus and both organic/inorganic chemistry.

I hated biology....both years....the worst was taxonomy for me.

Show me some complicated friction, projectile motion, orgo-chem or other problem, I'm good, it's intuitive and i love it.

Somehow biology just always escaped me. Probably explains why my worst classes here thus far have been anatomy and physiology. They always take so much more effort than all of the rest...

Members don't see this ad :)
Frank, I take p-chem this fall.... Everyone hates it... Oh boy am I excited!

Yes pchem sucks I took pchem 1 this year, and I'm taking pchem 2 next year.

It's far worse the second part I hear due to the quantum mechanics and cal evolved. I didn't struggle so bad in the thermodynamic it was straight forward equations.

Yes pchem sucks I took pchem 1 this year, and I'm taking pchem 2 next year.

It's far worse the second part I hear due to the quantum mechanics and cal evolved. I didn't struggle so bad in the thermodynamic it was straight forward equations.

PChem 2 is far worse than PChem 1. It makes no sense at all..

Oh stop complaining :D I'm in English 100. Here comes the pain :(

Oh stop complaining :D I'm in English 100. Here comes the pain :(

My school literally does not offer classes like that... we have a writing across the curriculum with "writing intensive" courses regardless of the department, which we need a certain amount of. This sounds great, except a lot of professional schools don't recognize this as an alternative to taking English courses, so next fall I'll be in the class: "Spanish Literature in Translation." I'm pretty sure we're just reading Don Quixote in English, but who knows.

After registering for all of my classes my last semester, I didn't realize I was behind a required upper level English, and the only remaining class was in mother/daughter relationships in middle century women's literature.

Actually not as bad as I thought it would be, curriculum-wise. It was just being one of two guys in a class of super-ultra-militant-feminists that sucked.

It's not my fault... Pod schools don't accept Biomedical Ethics as an english course despite it being graded solely on papers. I'm just glad that I don't have to go through another English class again... ever... I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemies.

U need to understand what happens to a tripod stool when one leg is shortened to understand basic Rootian biomechanics. You then need to understand a basic rope and pulley model to understand the Windlass mechanism. To perform surgery, you will need the intuition required to build furniture from scratch.

My school literally does not offer classes like that... we have a writing across the curriculum with "writing intensive" courses regardless of the department, which we need a certain amount of. This sounds great, except a lot of professional schools don't recognize this as an alternative to taking English courses, so next fall I'll be in the class: "Spanish Literature in Translation." I'm pretty sure we're just reading Don Quixote in English, but who knows.

Do you go to Coe? If so, we are pretty close geographically :D

Last edited:
lol fixed. I was in the geology building when writing this, maybe tat's why :D

Don't worry, I attend the rival school in the corn fields. I won't come looking for you.

Excuse the thread revival, but are ya'll required to take calculus-based physics or is that just a step above what is required?

Excuse the thread revival, but are ya'll required to take calculus-based physics or is that just a step above what is required?

Nah, Maxofacial just thinks he's better than all of us so he went ahead and did it.

^ Lol. Just curious... I know pre-dents don't need calc-based physics so I was curious about pre-pods (not starting a pod vs. dental battle here)

^ Lol. Just curious... I know pre-dents don't need calc-based physics so I was curious about pre-pods (not starting a pod vs. dental battle here)

Haha, we understand bro. Nah, I don't think MD's even need that. Maxofacial is actually a chemistry major, that's why he took it.

You sure you don't want to start a battle? Feet vs. Teeth? LOL:laugh:

Haha, we understand bro. Nah, I don't think MD's even need that. Maxofacial is actually a chemistry major, that's why he took it.

You sure you don't want to start a battle? Feet vs. Teeth? LOL:laugh:

Feet vs. Teeth? Neither gross me out, I'm actually interested in both fields... but I have WAYYY more exposure/EC's that are dental-related. Pod's seem to have a sweet gig.

Feet vs. Teeth? Neither gross me out, I'm actually interested in both fields... but I have WAYYY more exposure/EC's that are dental-related. Pod's seem to have a sweet gig.

I was more-so implying a group of tae kwan do masters vs zombies/competitive eaters:D

Maxofacial is actually a chemistry major, that's why he took it.

And I regret that decision to this day. Senior chem majors at my school have to give a 45 minute presentation on a "new" (published recently) chemistry topic and mine is Friday. And I have a pchem test Tuesday.

So naturally, I'm on SDN.........

And I regret that decision to this day. Senior chem majors at my school have to give a 45 minute presentation on a "new" (published recently) chemistry topic and mine is Friday. And I have a pchem test Tuesday.

So naturally, I'm on SDN.........

Maxillofacial**** my bad

It's cool you're already accepted; senioritis!

It may be a little redundant... but, since calculus-based physics are not required (at any schools?), is calculus alone even required?

It may be a little redundant... but, since calculus-based physics are not required (at any schools?), is calculus alone even required?

It may be needed for your degree, but not for pod admission.

I'd love to see a pod vs dent battle here. Do that.

EWWW....I'd touch feet then a dirty mouth, no clue what people put in their mouth, if you know what I mean, at least the foot's in a shoe!

EWWW....I'd touch feet then a dirty mouth, no clue what people put in their mouth, if you know what I mean, at least the foot's in a shoe!

Look up some microbio studies on flora of the mouth....it's pretty gross. Plaque is pretty much the colonies of bacteria that grow on petri dishes.