Physics or Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindbergjb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was currently looking or is majoring in one or the other. I would like to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a fan of physics. I'm a chemistry major, though. But honestly, after taking physical chemistry, there isn't a lot of relevance to/for me. I do enjoy chemistry, however, if I were to do it again, I'd go business. Just take some classes and you'll sure find out what you don't like in a hurry

Unless it is required for your major, Physics is pre-med since it is a tested category on the MCAT. Plus, if you can't do well in physics it may drag your BCP GPA down. Anything other than gen, orgo, or biochem would likely be overkill for dental school, I would recommend upper level bio- physio, histo, anatomy, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless it is required for your major, Physics is pre-med since it is a tested category on the MCAT. Plus, if you can't do well in physics it may drag your BCP GPA down. Anything other than gen, orgo, or biochem would likely be overkill for dental school, I would recommend upper level bio- physio, histo, anatomy, etc.

dont most dental schools require physics? therefore, you need to take physics regardless?

i heard physics is also important for dental school.

dont most dental schools require physics? therefore, you need to take physics regardless?

i heard physics is also important for dental school.

Yes, if you don't take physics then you don't get into D-school.

I envy physics majors. If my college offered physics major, I woul have been majoring in it. I would definitly recommed physics major. Why? It is one of the toughest major. That is not to discourage you. But the skills that you develop as a physics major are essential for sucess in every type of science. Physics is about the world around you, you will come to learn every bit and piece of this world in way that your fellow business majors will never think of. Yes, your life will be hell. The courses are very difficult and sometimes the concepts are very abstract (Quantum mechanics?). But I would still do it if Had the opportunity to do so. By the way, I am not a physics major. (But would love to be one).
And there are very few people who go down this path. So you will definity be a unique one if you do choose physics major.
Physics (and math) majors rule!!!
Definity do it, if you have the ability, talent, and the COURAGE to do so.
If you value your 4.0 GPA, than yes go for business or communcation. But I personally value a physics major with a 2.7 more than a busines, english ...major with a 3.5.

Do what you want to do, but remember your GPA is evaluate as a number. If you're into the applied world, try engineering. Chemical engineerin would have the physics and chemistry. In addition, if you for some reason didn't pursue dentistry, that'd be an awesome back up plan.

I envy physics majors. If my college offered physics major, I woul have been majoring in it. I would definitly recommed physics major. Why? It is one of the toughest major. That is not to discourage you. But the skills that you develop as a physics major are essential for sucess in every type of science. Physics is about the world around you, you will come to learn every bit and piece of this world in way that your fellow business majors will never think of. Yes, your life will be hell. The courses are very difficult and sometimes the concepts are very abstract (Quantum mechanics?). But I would still do it if Had the opportunity to do so. By the way, I am not a physics major. (But would love to be one).
And there are very few people who go down this path. So you will definity be a unique one if you do choose physics major.
Physics (and math) majors rule!!!
Definity do it, if you have the ability, talent, and the COURAGE to do so.
If you value your 4.0 GPA, than yes go for business or communcation. But I personally value a physics major with a 2.7 more than a busines, english ...major with a 3.5.

Hey I like your comments especially since I graduated with a BS in math and physics. However my GPA is a 3.27 and I applied to dental school this past year and didn't get in. The schools have told me to keep taking more upper level bio. So yes I do think the analytical skills I developed will help me when I get into dental school, but unless you can keep the overall GPA 3.5-3.7 with a degree in physics I would not recommend it if you interested in dental school. I thought that my lower GPA would be given some consideration due to my double major, but it appears the first cut is made solely on numbers (GPA and DAT). However I must say I'm doing post bac work now taking genetics and biochem. I'm looking at A's for both classes, but the thermodynamics I learned in physics has made biochem that much easier. So as you said, a background in physics helps with the other sciences.

So you are the Ultra Human, that I desire (ed) to be! Nice meeting you.I would have given you addmission if it were up to me! Sorry to hear that. Unfortuantely, stupid #'s (which by the way are human made things. they donot EXIST!!! have you ever seen 1 and 1 meet and add up to 2?) mean more than your four years of sleepless nights.

Physics has an immense amount of math and abstract concepts involved. Don't major in it until you've taken at least the first year of classical physics and had a taste of quantum mechanics. If you aren't 100% sure of your abilities in this area, you could be sabotaging your chances in dentistry. Chemical engineering isn't as nasty as pure physics, but still very heavy in complicated math calculations and stuff like thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, etc. Not recommended unless you again, know that your good at this. If I had stayed in ChemEng, there's no way I would have gotten into d-school b/c my GPA would be well under 3.0.
Chemistry isn't nearly as hard as either of theses areas. The worst class you'll have is Pchem, which is definately a ball-buster, but at least it's only one class (2 semesters) and not a whole schedule of killer courses.
It all depends on your abilities so make a careful decision based upon what you know you can do. If most pre-health persons are like me, then we're more visual learners than we are at mastering abstract concepts. So usually bio or chem are the way to go.

Do Chemistry better yet biochem. Your major will be in one of the tougher classes you will have in dental school, requirements for the class are molecular, cell, and micro, two very useful classes, as well as physical chemistry which can satisfy your physics craving.

Do Chemistry better yet biochem. Your major will be in one of the tougher classes you will have in dental school, requirements for the class are molecular, cell, and micro, two very useful classes, as well as physical chemistry which can satisfy your physics craving.

Bingo.
I'm a chem major because I entered college really enjoying the mathematical part of the sciences. I LOVED high school physics, but college physics is way different. Even as a chem major I had to take some calculus based physics, but the upper level stuff gets really abstract and intense. P-chem was rather irritating, but you get aspects of physics incorporated into Chem. Don't forget you can keep your options open and switch to one or the other later. Being a chem major REALLy helped me on the DAT's chem sections