Physics requirement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanu9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, I am non tonrad with education from India. I had my undergrad evaluation done and physics is not mentioned. I took physics in 12th grade which junior college in India. I am applyng y as a PhD.I have twointerviews, one is done and one coming up. If I upgrade them with transcribed transcript, how do I explain the lack of physics in my transcript. Also can one get a conditional accept (like we will admit you provided you take physics before med school)
Finally will it matter if you have already proven your worth as a PhD that I don't have physics grade)

Members don't see this ad.

well, I am non tonrad with education from India. I had my undergrad evaluation done and physics is not mentioned. I took physics in 12th grade which junior college in India. I am applyng y as a PhD.I have twointerviews, one is done and one coming up. If I upgrade them with transcribed transcript, how do I explain the lack of physics in my transcript. Also can one get a conditional accept (like we will admit you provided you take physics before med school)
Finally will it matter if you have already proven your worth as a PhD that I don't have physics grade)

I am pretty sure you can't get away with not having done Physics 1 and 2 with lab. You can call some schools up you are interested in and explain your situation and see what they say, since you seem to have a PhD, but I am pretty sure you need to have taken it at the college level or tested out of it somehow to get away with having done it in high school. Also, have you taken the MCAT? You may find yourself having a difficult time on the PS unless your PhD is something closely related so it may behoove you take it again at a local college anyways.

I am pretty sure you can't get away with not having done Physics 1 and 2 with lab. You can call some schools up you are interested in and explain your situation and see what they say, since you seem to have a PhD, but I am pretty sure you need to have taken it at the college level or tested out of it somehow to get away with having done it in high school. Also, have you taken the MCAT? You may find yourself having a difficult time on the PS unless your PhD is something closely related so it may behoove you take it again at a local college anyways.
thanks I have taken the MCAT. I have two MD interivews so far. One I ave completed and one coming up end of march at Umass.
I have taken the physics classes its just that I took in India. I had my UG GPA calculated and it comes to 3.77 and my grad GPA is 3.81

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks I have taken the MCAT. I have two MD interivews so far. One I ave completed and one coming up end of march at Umass.
I have taken the physics classes its just that I took in India. I had my UG GPA calculated and it comes to 3.77 and my grad GPA is 3.81

You can certainly ask your schools when you go for your interviews. It's better to be sure of where you stand than spend the money on interviews and travel only to find that you do not qualify for admission. Ask the schools that interviewed you and find out what you need definitively.

Many people certainly interview at medical schools and receive rejections. Be sure that your lack of physics isn't the cause of a rejection.

OP, what is your Ph.D. in? Physics? It sounds like this from your implication. If not, then best of luck. Here's my story for what it's worth...

I am beginning postbac work at Bryn Mawr this year. I have a Ph.D. in Math, but took Physics 1 and 2 at a community college when I was in high school. Last week, I spoke with the director of admissions at a top 50 public med school and was told that I must re-take physics to be considered competitive at most med schools. She said that despite the Ph.D. they don't want to see CC on the transcript next to the core prereqs. However, she did agree that it is short-sighted of them, when I'm quite qualified to teach the course, but that's life.

I am very interested to hear how things work out for you; please keep us posted

Good luck!
Gator

I am pretty sure you can't get away with not having done Physics 1 and 2 with lab.

Schools tend to be sticklers for the prereqs and rather inflexible in terms of substitutions. I agree with njbmd that you can ask the schools you are interviewing at, but a lot of places interview you do so on the assumption that you plan to have completed all of their prereqs prior to matriculation, if you haven't already.

I spoke with the director of admissions at a top 50 public med school and was told that I must re-take physics to be considered competitive at most med schools. She said that despite the Ph.D. they don't want to see CC on the transcript next to the core prereqs.
This is not a universal rule for every U.S. school. If you have your heart set on a particular school, you pretty much have to give them what they ask for. Just make sure you're not short-changing yourself by focusing on what one school wants and extrapolating that to the requirements for every U.S. school. Speaking as an unusual PhD-to-MD, it's amazing how different the requirements are from school to school. Some allopathic schools are more forgiving than others.....