Physics vs. Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatiana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Me again.

OK, I just had a big war over freshman biology with my school/pre-med advisor. (Obviously, AP courses mean nothing.) I'm a chem major, but I want to take a decent amount of bio (neuroscience, a&p, etc.). Everything should work out, but the college keeps trying to force me into taking physics next semester instead of bio. I've read that pre-meds should take physics closer to MCAT time. When should I take this class- freshman, sophomore, or junior year?

Thanks,

Tatiana

Members don't see this ad.

Tat,

No matter what anyone tells do what ever makes you feel comfortable. I will say that what ever you do make sure you take the full year of physics prior to the test. This means take it your soph. year if you plan to take the test in april your junior year. There is some very important topics that are covered in the second semester of physics that show up on the mcat all the time. I would say the second semester is probably the most important. Furthermore, I don't think that there is a major difference whether you take physics your fresh. or soph. year. No matter what, you are going to have to review the material quite extensively prior to the mcat. There is no way that you will remember a full year of physics so I would suggest that you take a prep course.

Tat,

No matter what anyone tells do what ever makes you feel comfortable. I will say that what ever you do make sure you take the full year of physics prior to the test. This means take it your soph. year if you plan to take the test in april your junior year. There is some very important topics that are covered in the second semester of physics that show up on the mcat all the time. I would say the second semester is probably the most important. Furthermore, I don't think that there is a major difference whether you take physics your fresh. or soph. year. No matter what, you are going to have to review the material quite extensively prior to the mcat. There is no way that you will remember a full year of physics so I would suggest that you take a prep course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tatiana,
You can take physics whenever you like, and their are advantages and disadvantages (as always) to be considered. First off, are you good at math? I'm pretty mathematical myself so physics was just another class for me. However I had some friends who hated math and it was important for them to schedule physics during a year in which they would have time to devote to it (i.e. lighter work loads in other classes).

Since your Bio course will be a prereq for other Bio's, and I assume you won't be taking any high level physics courses
smile.gif
, take the bio now and do the physics later. I would take physics during your junior year. I know many people take it sophomore year, but I took both physics and organic my junior year, and I did fine on the MCAT. One advantage you'll have is that the information is more fresh in your mind than it would be if you took it earlier. I also agree with van1192 that the 2nd half of physics is stressed more on the MCAT. On a side note, are you Greek? Just asking because one of my classics professors' names is Tatiana and she is from Greece...

------------------
Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
-Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

All of the advice given is great. Essentially, the advisors can't really tell you what to take when. The only thing I would recommend is that you check and make sure that the physics is not required for your chem classes. You don't want to hold up your major.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'll take it next year.

Oh, I almost forgot. I'm not Greek, but Russian. :)

Tatiana

actually, if you are a chemistry major, you should take physics early, and also calculus, because it is a requirement for physical chemistry. I don't know what year you are planning to take that course, but you will need a good math/physics background, of course it all depends on what school you go to, and how deep they go into the topics in physical chemistry. Even though I know you need physics, personally i would take biology first, or the same time. I don't see the point of the college trying to get you to take physics first.

I guess if i were in ur situation, i would take physics junior year, even though there will be MCAT problems from second semester physics, and you'll still be taking the class.

------------------
rohit patel
"knowledge is limited. imagination encircles the world" -- Einstein

[This message has been edited by rohit (edited 11-17-2000).]