Physio doubt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please can someone clarify why the apex of the lung is considered overventilated even though it has least ventilation?

Members don't see this ad.

So, the lungs are suspended off the trachea/bronchi. In doing so, the top of the lungs, the apex, are more stretched then the bottom of the lungs. So, since the lungs and alveoli are more stretched in the top of the lungs, yes they get more air to them, but they are already expanded and can not further expand. Therefore they, themselves, do not ventilate.

or thats my understanding of it...correct me if im wrong. i read that a lot too.

thank you for adding your inputs.It is said that as apex is defying gravity,resistance increases,blood flow is less plus your explanation amounts to the fact that it has least ventilation.But again it is said that apex can be considered as over ventilated region..which is confusing??

Please can someone clarify why the apex of the lung is considered overventilated even though it has least ventilation?

I think it is because there is more gas exchange at the apex of lung.
I mean V/Q ratio is higher at the apex..because the regional differences for ventilation(V) are not as great as for perfusion(Q)
correct me if im wrong~[/~

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is because there is more gas exchange at the apex of lung.
I mean V/Q ratio is higher at the apex..because the regional differences for ventilation(V) are not as great as for perfusion(Q)
correct me if im wrong~
^^

I wud say it is because of the V/Q ratio..though the base recieves the highest amount of blood flow[co2] it is underventilated because it does not have adequate ventlation[o2] and so the ratio of v/Q is less than one making it underventilated..on the contrary the opposite is true for apex where it has least amount of blood flow but the ventilation is more compared to it making the ratio more than one and apex is therefor over ventilated..
I hope this clears the doubt..cheers