1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Physio Shelf

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by mTOR, Jun 5, 2008.

1. mTOR

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Welp, just got back from taking the physio shelf. And First, let me just say that I've been making in the 95th and above percentiles all over the place with the shelves thanks to BRS.. but for this subject... let it be known...

BRS IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS FOR IT :mad: :(. That is all.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IUHoosier21

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I hear ya. We took the physio shelf about a month ago and it rocked our worlds. The scores all ended up much better than we expected though, so I wouldn't fret about it too much.

4. AlberttheGator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Was it really that bad or did I miss something?
    I thought it was reasonable.

5. thesauce

thesauce Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I took it 2 years ago. It was the hardest shelf in medical school, including Step 1 and all of the clinical shelves. Most people did better than expected but not one of us was above the 95th percentile (they gave us the histogram).

6. CigarTragic

CigarTragic Read it backwards
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For my Physio shelf, I used BRS Physio + BRS Pathophysio Clinical Cases. Combo of the 2 was amazing for me.

I didn't wait to use them 2 days before the test - I used them all along with each system of the course. Works well if it's what works for you...

7. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah, BRS physio isn't helpful because the shelf has pathophys on it too. Even the top guys in our physio class thought the physio shelf was crazy. Most of us passed, but it wasn't nearly as high as the other mock boards.

8. EMH

EMH ARNG - MC
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had been warned ahead of time that the path NBME was going to had stuff on it that we not only wouldn't know but wouldn't have seen yet. Also it had alot less conceptual questions than detail questions in my opinion.

9. medstylee

medstylee 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    at our school we had the option to take the physio shelf after finishing 2nd year as kind of an indicator for where we stood in terms of preparedness for usmle. i can definitely see how it would be much easier after taking courses such as pathology and intro to clinical medicine. for those of you who will be taking it in the future i think it would be worth your while to take a peak at topics like congestive heart failure, COPD, some of the valvular stenoses/regurgitations, etc. for a lot of those things, knowing about the pathology will give you the answer about what happens to preload, afterload, etc, rather than having to think it out based on your physio knowledge (don't get me wrong. i know that's the point of the exam, but still...).

i get the impression all of the shelf exams go a bit beyond the boundaries of the subject itself - for path, it's definitely worthwhile to go over some biochem, genetics and microbio/immuno. best of luck to everyone.

10. Powel6016

Powel6016 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    yea the physio shelf was rough for our whole class. I did Kaplan physio w/ the videos and some parts of BRS physio, and pretest physio, but I didn't feel very well prepared for it. Its all pathophysiology, rarely any start physio questions, but I'm glad I got that over with...

11. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL yeah I walked out of the physio shelf feeling pretty lousy. After the first page of questions I think my brain kind of shut down because I realized it wasn't going to help me. ;)

I ended up doing pretty decently on it, though - go figure!! Your percentile might surprise you.