Physio Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mTOR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welp, just got back from taking the physio shelf. And First, let me just say that I've been making in the 95th and above percentiles all over the place with the shelves thanks to BRS.. but for this subject... let it be known...

BRS IS COMPLETELY WORTHLESS FOR IT :mad: :(. That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

Welp, just got back from taking the physio shelf. And First, let me just say that I've been making in the 95th and above percentiles all over the place with the shelves thanks to BRS.. but for this subject... let it be known...

I hear ya. We took the physio shelf about a month ago and it rocked our worlds. The scores all ended up much better than we expected though, so I wouldn't fret about it too much.

Was it really that bad or did I miss something?
I thought it was reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it really that bad or did I miss something?
I thought it was reasonable.

I took it 2 years ago. It was the hardest shelf in medical school, including Step 1 and all of the clinical shelves. Most people did better than expected but not one of us was above the 95th percentile (they gave us the histogram).

For my Physio shelf, I used BRS Physio + BRS Pathophysio Clinical Cases. Combo of the 2 was amazing for me.

I didn't wait to use them 2 days before the test - I used them all along with each system of the course. Works well if it's what works for you...

Yeah, BRS physio isn't helpful because the shelf has pathophys on it too. Even the top guys in our physio class thought the physio shelf was crazy. Most of us passed, but it wasn't nearly as high as the other mock boards.

I had been warned ahead of time that the path NBME was going to had stuff on it that we not only wouldn't know but wouldn't have seen yet. Also it had alot less conceptual questions than detail questions in my opinion.

at our school we had the option to take the physio shelf after finishing 2nd year as kind of an indicator for where we stood in terms of preparedness for usmle. i can definitely see how it would be much easier after taking courses such as pathology and intro to clinical medicine. for those of you who will be taking it in the future i think it would be worth your while to take a peak at topics like congestive heart failure, COPD, some of the valvular stenoses/regurgitations, etc. for a lot of those things, knowing about the pathology will give you the answer about what happens to preload, afterload, etc, rather than having to think it out based on your physio knowledge (don't get me wrong. i know that's the point of the exam, but still...).

i get the impression all of the shelf exams go a bit beyond the boundaries of the subject itself - for path, it's definitely worthwhile to go over some biochem, genetics and microbio/immuno. best of luck to everyone.

yea the physio shelf was rough for our whole class. I did Kaplan physio w/ the videos and some parts of BRS physio, and pretest physio, but I didn't feel very well prepared for it. Its all pathophysiology, rarely any start physio questions, but I'm glad I got that over with...

LOL yeah I walked out of the physio shelf feeling pretty lousy. After the first page of questions I think my brain kind of shut down because I realized it wasn't going to help me. ;)

I ended up doing pretty decently on it, though - go figure!! Your percentile might surprise you.