Physiology and Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilescali

Almost there...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who took Physiology and Anatomy for Prereq's, did you take the labs that go along with them also? I have seen some schools not specify and when I call their admissions department they seem not to really care about the labs in these classes. I will probably take the labs anyway for experience, but was just curious what others are doing. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking A&P right now. It seems to me that most graduate/professional schools require A&P with lab, or at least that's what people who are in my class told me. I know for sure that UNC requires A&P with lab, don't know about other schools though. :)

I actually took both anatomy and physiology with labs. I know that USC only requires physiology, but I believe that it has to be with lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took labs with all my science classes including A & P. I find it easier to learn with some hands on experience. I go to UF and they require the labs for both. Since it varies by school, I'd take the labs and not limit my options.

dgroulx said:
I took labs with all my science classes including A & P. I find it easier to learn with some hands on experience. I go to UF and they require the labs for both. Since it varies by school, I'd take the labs and not limit my options.

I know what you mean by "limiting my options", I am getting a little frustrated :p with all of the different prereq's for each school. I mean US Pharmacy Schools schools should have some uniformity in their lists of acceptable classes. For instance, USC wants Interpersonal Communication and UOP wants Principles of Oral Communication for their speech requirements. THESE ARE BASICALLY THE SAME CLASS. I can see their logic with science classes, but general ed. requirements? I don't see how anyone can finish the prereq's in 2 years if they are applying to multiple schools.
:confused:

I'm taking anatomy right now without the lab. The lab's not required for me, but at the same time, I kind of wish I were enrolled in it. It seems like this would be easier to understand if I had some hands-on experience.

im taking phsiology right now without anatomy and without a lab. i can take the lab later sepratly if its required, but most schools dosent require a lb.

Smilescali said:
I know what you mean by "limiting my options", I am getting a little frustrated :p with all of the different prereq's for each school.

I don't see how anyone can finish the prereq's in 2 years if they are applying to multiple schools.
:confused:

What you need to do is pick out the schools that you are going to apply to and try to get those prerequisites done.

It is almost impossible to finish them in 2 years. I couldn't finish UF's prerequisites in 2 years. They require an AA, plus an additional 32 credit hours of sciences. Once I had 3 years in, I decided to stay in school another year and get my BS in biology.

I only applied to other schools which had overlapping prerequisites with UF. You have to make some choices early on, which does limit your options. Or you can go to school longer and take more classes. I spent months of research on schools that would be a good fit for me.

Research is key! I am coming to the point where it might make more sense on just complete my B.S. in Biochemistry. I am still going to apply to some 3 year programs next year like UOP, Midwestern CPG and NVCP, but if I don't get in then I will just probably finsh up my B.S. :)