Physiology Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erin682

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so now that I've heard about the biochem shelf can anyone give me any tips for studying for the phys shelf. I have to take it on the same day as my biochem one so I need some tips for quick effective studying.

Members don't see this ad.

erin682 said:
Ok so now that I've heard about the biochem shelf can anyone give me any tips for studying for the phys shelf. I have to take it on the same day as my biochem one so I need some tips for quick effective studying.

The phys shelf was the hardest for me. I used First Aid (FA) and pretest adn BRS. In FA, dont just look at the phys section, u should know the pathology section too (cardio and respiratory) cuz alot of questions are come from there. Start early and u'll be fine. Do alot of questions, but ur priortiy should be a First Aid and make sure to kill ur phys class.

later

edit: My friend who looked at the patholgy (cardio + resp) sections of FA along w/ the physiology sections got a 97 on the shelf. I wish I had done this. Gluck

omarsaleh66 said:
Start early and u'll be fine.

So what about those of us who waited until the day before the shelf to start studying? Is there any hope? :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad :)
lilmo said:
So what about those of us who waited until the day before the shelf to start studying? Is there any hope? :( :( :(

If u got one day b4 the test, and u want to make the most out of that one day, then understand everything in the physiology section of FA. If u got some more time, try to look at the cardiovascular, respiratory and maybe endocrine pathololgy sections of FA and try to understand them. I remember getting some clinical questions about mitral or aortic stenosis and regurgitation. I remember seeing some stuff on sarcoidosis (respiratory), and the FEV1/FEV and restrictive, obstrcutive lung disease (all this crap is in the pathology section of FA) so if u got 1 day b4 the test, look at FA and do ur best to understand it, it's too late to do questions, so FA would be the best last minute thing to do. And also look at the NBME website for some free gimme physiology questions.

gluck

some good tips here already.

def pay attention to pathology of major organ systems - cardiac, renal and lung were big on the shelf. esp know all the different heart murmurs - i had about 4 hard questions on this alone. best source for the relevant pathology is first aid.

i also didn't think BRS was sufficient. NMS is better. do lots of questions from pretest and lastly know your biochem - the physiology shelf exam is a hybrid (like all of them are).

thanks! i'm going to try to immerse myself in the wonderful worlds of physiology and biochem tomorrow.

These appear to be great suggestions, I'm 3.5 weeks away from my phys shelf exam. this is the only shelf exam we take at my school and this si the first time its been used.

Anyway, it sounds like you all are saying that the questions are clinically oriented as opposed to phys fact. Is this ture? What about pathophys?

I truly have no clue what to expect from this thing.

conure said:
These appear to be great suggestions, I'm 3.5 weeks away from my phys shelf exam. this is the only shelf exam we take at my school and this si the first time its been used.

Anyway, it sounds like you all are saying that the questions are clinically oriented as opposed to phys fact. Is this ture? What about pathophys?

I truly have no clue what to expect from this thing.

I pretty much crammed for the shelf in a day and a half. I thought the comprehensive test at the end of BRS Phys was the highest yield for the time I had since they had short explanations for each question. Good luck! :luck: :luck:

omarsaleh66 said:
If u got one day b4 the test, and u want to make the most out of that one day, then understand everything in the physiology section of FA. If u got some more time, try to look at the cardiovascular, respiratory and maybe endocrine pathololgy sections of FA and try to understand them. I remember getting some clinical questions about mitral or aortic stenosis and regurgitation. I remember seeing some stuff on sarcoidosis (respiratory), and the FEV1/FEV and restrictive, obstrcutive lung disease (all this crap is in the pathology section of FA) so if u got 1 day b4 the test, look at FA and do ur best to understand it, it's too late to do questions, so FA would be the best last minute thing to do. And also look at the NBME website for some free gimme physiology questions.

gluck

Also, know all the stupid paraneoplastic syndromes associated with lung cancers.