Pi Orbitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdaAda87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many Pi molecular orbitals are there in pyridine possess?

A)3
B)4
C)5
D)6
E)7

Members don't see this ad.

Pyridinium.png

yep, just count the double bonds. Each double bond is one pi and each triple bond is 2 pi.

i thought, two pie orbitals make up one pie bond.

therefore, the answer is 6.

am i wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tricky question depends on how it is worded. Both of you are correct. However i think that i saw that question somewhere and the answer was 6 if i remember correctly.

The answer is actually 7. I originally thought it was 6. Does anyone know why it's 7???

7?? you sure??
Where is the question from. Tell me not Kaplans.

I stand corrected, it is 6. There are 3 pi bonds, and 6 pi orbitals. 7's a bit of a stretch.

Wouldn't there be a lone electron on the nitrogen that could contribute to pi bonding?

Normally the N would have a pair, but since it is + and makes 4 bonds, there would be 1 free electron

I would say 6; Nitrogen is sp2 ( so 3 sp2 orbitals.) and one P orbital which participates in the pi system of the ring(the double bond with the next carbon in the ring). The lone pair on nitrogen is in one of its 3 sp2 orbitals and not delocalized into the aromatic pi-system. In acidic solution pyridine is protonated and forms this positively charged cation. ( so bond between nitrogen and H+ is co-ordinate bond)...right?

if the answer is 7, then I have no idea

Last edited: